Physics question

Soldato
If you start a coin rolling along a surface that is sloped at 1-degree, and assuming the surface is smooth and continuous, will said coin roll at a slow speed forever or eventually reach terminal velocity (close to free-fall speed less rolling friction)?

Soldato
Dumb question but could it actually exceed TV?

I mean, IIRC TV is basically when the forces of gravity and drag even out, but in this case it's rolling not falling so its momentum is also aided by the centrifugal force involved?

Associate
It'll speed up until for force of gravity matches the rolling and air resistance (the coin wont' be perfectly cirular and the surface won't be perfectly smooth). Its velocity won't be as fast as dropping it vertically.

Permabanned
why does a diesel/petrol car engine need a 5speed gearbox yet a steam train or an electric car doesn't ?

Because most steam engines and electric motors can produce maximum torque at zero RPM, whilst a diesel or petrol engine has maximum torque way above zero RPM so needs torque multiplication from a gearbox and most times a step down ratio in the drive axle(s.) The clutch also acts as a crude torque converter when slipped on manual transmission vehicles.

Man of Honour
Dumb question but could it actually exceed TV?

I mean, IIRC TV is basically when the forces of gravity and drag even out, but in this case it's rolling not falling so its momentum is also aided by the centrifugal force involved?

You have just created a perpetual motion machine.The only forces acting are gravity, rolling friction and air resistance. However, a 1 degree slope is not enough to overcome friction so it would come to a stop pretty quickly. If the slope was steeper it would achive a constant velocity lower than free-fall Terminal Velocity (I would guess by the sine, but that's a guess) but would keep going.

Soldato
Because most steam engines and electric motors can produce maximum torque at zero RPM, whilst a diesel or petrol engine has maximum torque way above zero RPM so needs torque multiplication from a gearbox and most times a step down ratio in the drive axle(s.) The clutch also acts as a crude torque converter when slipped on manual transmission vehicles.

Reminds me of the prototype Rover gas turbine car, the stall torque was around 3 times the running torque, so it didn't need a gearbox either.

Back
Top Bottom