Speed Taxation

Soldato
related to speeding ? .. or driving rules (right overtake/turn-on-red), relatively bigger lanes, and less aggressive drivers, that make it more pleasant.
Bigger roads, less traffic, don’t have to constantly watch out for speed limit changes, no police waiting to ticket you for going just a few mph over the speed limit (10-15 over is fine), no speed cameras, overtake on both sides, turn right on red, roadworks aren’t up for months (they just resurfaced both sides of 5 miles of dual carriageway near me in 2 weeks, that’d be a 6 month job in the UK).

I haven’t had any issues with aggressive drivers. However, there is the chance that someone will shoot you for beeping at them which isn’t great.

This is very true but I do wish a minimum speed was also enforced. I hate following cars doing 35 on a single lane nsl.

I agree, but the vast vast majority of roads in the UK have no minimum speed. Whether that is sensible is of course debatable, but I fear it would be set well below the limit we would like ;)

Just over half of my daily commute is on back roads, and I regularly encounter people going slower than I would like, and those same people tend to drive in the middle of the road I find.
A lot of roads are unrated, so whats safe to do on them will be at drivers discretion, it doesn't mean any limit is safe.

Soldato
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...4!1sVaDSdy08fK4O1LI0fdtttA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Waiting for a ticket to come through from most likely getting caught here. Van was on the bridge at the far right hand side barely visible in the trees, I was heading uphill on the "dual carriageway" side overtaking a horse box, caravan and a few other slow pokes along with 10+ other people who had all been sat behind it for the last half hour with me. Yes, should have overtaken at the speed limit but who actually does that? Oh well, my own fault.

Not too fast I hope, still a 60 limit! Speed van on those locations makes me dubious its about safety, must be a good money maker for them.

Soldato
I agree, but the vast vast majority of roads in the UK have no minimum speed. Whether that is sensible is of course debatable, but I fear it would be set well below the limit we would like ;)

Just over half of my daily commute is on back roads, and I regularly encounter people going slower than I would like, and those same people tend to drive in the middle of the road I find.
A lot of roads are unrated, so whats safe to do on them will be at drivers discretion, it doesn't mean any limit is safe.

My commute is similar to yours with lots of 60 limits, even in the wet my measly car will happily sit at 60 around all the bends without feeling hairy! So when I'm stuck behind someone doing half that and tapping the break every few seconds it drives me mad. But I suppose I know the road and they might not. But still :p

Soldato
I wouldn't mind speeding fines so much if the money were used to fund more patrols on the road to catch the dangerous and idiotic drivers.

I'm a petrol head, I also make progress when I think it's appropriate and not endangering anybody else. I accept that I risk being fined for that.

But in 24 years of driving I've not had an accident nor, to my knowledge, caused one.

Some people on the other hand, are causing carnage every time they get in a car and will likely never get pulled up for it because a camera can't spot idiocy.

Soldato
Not too fast I hope, still a 60 limit! Speed van on those locations makes me dubious its about safety, must be a good money maker for them.
75 indicated I reckon, so hopefully 69 max.

It's the main route from North to South Wales on a Sunday afternoon with very limited overtaking opportunities for miles before it. I bet they caught hundreds of people!

My commute is similar to yours with lots of 60 limits, even in the wet my measly car will happily sit at 60 around all the bends without feeling hairy! So when I'm stuck behind someone doing half that and tapping the break every few seconds it drives me mad. But I suppose I know the road and they might not. But still :p

Mine sounds a little worse then. If I was really pushed I would say I could probably do the whole thing at 60. It would not be safe though.

One corner in particular sticks in my mind, I think i could do it at 60, it would be touch and go (in my TT)
The reason its probably only safe at 25mph or so is that, its actually a triangular junction, so as well as being about 145 degrees corner, half way round a side road joins. The corner is also wooded (trees on all sides), and the inside for me in the driving home direction has a kerb stone, probably to stop people cutting the corner.

With my skill and car, that corner, as I say 60 maybe, at a push assuming guaranteed nothing round the corner. You would be dicing with death though :)

Soldato
Just back from a week in Germany. Roads are ******* incredible. Come back to UK at 2100 in a Monday night or so. Smart motorways, 60 to a 40 to a 50 for lane closures, work force in road. Typically there was no one in the road for the duration.

I’m fed up of UK roads; I think they’re ******* atrocious and the highways agency should be embarrassed.

Soldato
75 indicated I reckon, so hopefully 69 max.

It's the main route from North to South Wales on a Sunday afternoon with very limited overtaking opportunities for miles before it. I bet they caught hundreds of people!

My dad got caught there, 72 in a 60 overtaking a line of trucks. As you say, must be one of their most profitable locations as there's very few overtaking spots and lots of slow moving vehicles so most people put their foot down a bit to take advantage of the passing opportunity.

Caporegime
Having done a speed awareness course, I'm firmly of the opinion that speed cameras aren't a money making exercise.

And to the OP, you won't ever get done for going a few mph over the 70mph (in a car) limit on the motorway :rolleyes:

Soldato
So when I'm stuck behind someone doing half that and tapping the break every few seconds it drives me mad. But I suppose I know the road and they might not. But still :p
More likely they know their own car.
I have to alter my driving quite a bit when I take the wife's car SUV Chelsea Tractor out (hers is the designated Dogmobile), because the brakes are cack and it steps out quite dramatically if you try to corner too fast.

Soldato
Just back from a week in Germany. Roads are ******* incredible. Come back to UK at 2100 in a Monday night or so. Smart motorways, 60 to a 40 to a 50 for lane closures, work force in road. Typically there was no one in the road for the duration.

I’m fed up of UK roads; I think they’re ******* atrocious and the highways agency should be embarrassed.

Agreed, I had similar recently. I drove to France, did a whole load of trips around there and back home, covering a total of 1200 miles over there. In that 1200 miles I never once had any traffic incidents, no road closures, couple of stretches of roadworks but not causing any issues at all and bizarrely I only encountered one set of traffic lights the whole time. As soon as I got back to the UK the M20 was closed for about 20 miles so I had to take a different route and encountered various random speed restrictions for seemingly no reason whatsoever. It's frustrating.

But with regards to the OP, I generally drive 30k miles a year and have done so for the last 8 years. I've never once had a speeding ticket - admittedly a large part of that is down to luck as I've had some very lucky escapes, but if/when I do get caught, it'll only be my own fault. There is no doubt in my mind that some speed camera van locations are a money making exercise rather than being about safety but there's still no real way to argue against it as if you're over the limit, you're over the limit.

Soldato
the thing is, if it's a law that's being ignored by the majority (hence the profitability) is it really a law for the people?

it'd be interesting to see some properly reliable stats on just how fast everyone drives regularly, not just how many get caught or admit to pushing it a bit, because if more than 50% of people do say more than 70 on a motorway then what's the point of the limit?

Soldato
If the police were out to slow people down, make the roads safer, and not just out to make some money, why do they always try and hide out of sight? Surely it'd be better if they were in plain view then people would see them and slow down instead of carrying on over the speed limit and getting a letter in the mail a few weeks later.

Really? I have more near misses in a week driving in California than I do in a year of driving in London.
Ha I'll give you that. I live in Tennessee so it's quite a bit different.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If the police were out to slow people down, make the roads safer, and not just out to make some money, why do they always try and hide out of sight? Surely it'd be better if they were in plain view then people would see them and slow down instead of carrying on over the speed limit and getting a letter in the mail a few weeks later.

Because standing in high-vis only slows people down whilst they are there. Tickets are more likely to change behaviour when the police aren't there.

the thing is, if it's a law that's being ignored by the majority (hence the profitability) is it really a law for the people?

It's not profitable for Police. Only a small portion to cover admin costs is retained by the Police, the rest is returned to the Treasury.

Soldato
More likely they know their own car.
I have to alter my driving quite a bit when I take the wife's car SUV Chelsea Tractor out (hers is the designated Dogmobile), because the brakes are cack and it steps out quite dramatically if you try to corner too fast.

This morning I was stuck behind what I've described, they were in a 17 plate E class, I'm in a 10 plate 1.4 Seat ibiza. I refuse to believe my car outperforms the E class in any way shape or form. :p

Soldato

Couldn't agree more. Most of the motorways and a roads in the UK have a lower speed limit than single lanes narrow b roads with dry stone walls either side and 0 viability. It is beyond a joke.

Back
Top Bottom