• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What's the modern equivalent of a 7870?

Associate
So my aging Radeon 7870 is starting to creak a little and I was wondering what a modern equivalent would be. That way I have a baseline I can use to investigate whether there's anything better available for someone as cheap as myself.

A cursory Google suggests the 1050 (Ti?) might be in the same ball park, but I've found it pretty hard to find meaningful comparisons between cards with such a large age gap.

I generally have a less than £150 rule, and while I've previously gone second hand, these days I'm mildly concerned about the risk of picking up a card that's been run 24/7 mining magic beans for the last two years.

Anyway, suggestions from any of you wonderful people who actively follow the GPU market would be ace.

Soldato
If it's any benefit to you the 7870 was rebranded to the r9 270.

The rx 560 and 1050ti do seem to perform roughly the same, if anything they are faster.

What resolution do you play at and what is the rest of the system like?

Unfortunately with prices like they are now if buying new I think you will have to up your budget to 200ish to get an upgrade that will last a while

Soldato
I had a Radeon 7950 3GB that I bought for £ 188.33 ex VAT in Jan 2013, I recently bought the modern day Radeon RX 580 8GB for £ 187.49 ex VAT. Doubles the graphics card score in 3D Mark Timespy so I would say its the modern equivalent.

Associate
So my aging Radeon 7870 is starting to creak a little and I was wondering what a modern equivalent would be. That way I have a baseline I can use to investigate whether there's anything better available for someone as cheap as myself.

A cursory Google suggests the 1050 (Ti?) might be in the same ball park, but I've found it pretty hard to find meaningful comparisons between cards with such a large age gap.

I generally have a less than £150 rule, and while I've previously gone second hand, these days I'm mildly concerned about the risk of picking up a card that's been run 24/7 mining magic beans for the last two years.

Anyway, suggestions from any of you wonderful people who actively follow the GPU market would be ace.

I’m in the process of building my son a rig and found a none molested Strix 470 4gb on eBay for £120 well worth it over a 1050 imo

Associate
OP
Thanks Finners, I wasn't aware of the rebrand, that'll help me with my benchmark quest. AMD naming has always confused me.

My system is currently a i7 2600K with a SSD & 16GB memory, and I only run 1080/60 at the moment although I'm looking at getting a 1440p monitor (mostly for work stuff / more screen space)
Pretty sure it's the GPU holding things back from a gaming perspective at any rate.

I'm in no massive rush as the geforce now trial is proving surprisingly useable, so may hold off and wait for prices to come down so long as that stays free..

Soldato
Agree with you that a GPU upgrade is all you really need with that system.

The amd 570 would get my vote. 4gb cards are really the minimum I would recommend these days as you can always turn settings down to get more FPS but when you run out of memory the gaming experience is horrible.

Just to throw another variable in. Just in the last week there have been rumours of possible new AMD cards by Christmas that will be a refresh of the current 570/580 cards. Google Polaris 30 for the rumours

This could either mean better performance for the same price or some potential good deals on current cards to clear stock if new cards are coming.

Back
Top Bottom