The monitor curse... no, really...

Soldato
I'm sitting here in somewhat of a disarray, infuriated and perplexed. Over the past few months I have attempted to find a monitor without faults... here is my experience...

x1 - LG 32GK850G-B - several stuck pixels
x1 - LG 32GK850G-B - several stuck pixels and dust under the panel
x1 - Acer Predator XB321HK - dust under panel
x1 - Acer Predator XB321HK - dust & dirt under panel in several places (this was worst example I've ever seen. I've no idea how any of these got past QC, but this one inparticular was just ridiculous).
x1 - AOC AG271QG - stuck pixel and dust under panel
x1 - Samsung 32H850 - dead pixel cluster

7 monitors, all crap. What more can I say?

:mad:

Permabanned
I'm sitting here in somewhat of a disarray, infuriated and perplexed. Over the past few months I have attempted to find a monitor without faults... here is my experience...

x1 - Acer Predator XB321HK - dust & dirt under panel in several places (this was worst example I've ever seen. I've no idea how any of these got past QC, but this one inparticular was just ridiculous).

Bad management - production or logistics, or both. :eek: :rolleyes:
Dust and dirt under the panel tells me that either those sat in warehouses out of their package for quite long, exposed to bad environment, or that prior to their assembly, their parts sat around dusty and dirty warehouses and factories.

Soldato
OP
Try dell u2715h. I've had 2. Both perfect.

I'd want 144Hz at 1440p, and GSync would also be desirable. No choice other than 60Hz at 4K (short of spending £2K+ which I'm not about to do).

If these were cheap monitors I'd be more understanding, but they aren't... well, the Samsung I tried was the cheapest of the bunch, but still, hardly 'budget'.

It's really a sorry state of affairs.

Soldato

I think this is why I went for a monitor from the MM.
Bought an X34 Predator off a trusted member who described it as immaculate, 100Hz clock, no dead pixels, and minimal BLB.
Received it yesterday and it was all as he said, perfect.
I've had a monitor before, brand new with a dead pixel and it was a pain to get it returned.

Guy

Guy

Associate
I'd want 144Hz at 1440p, and GSync would also be desirable. No choice other than 60Hz at 4K (short of spending £2K+ which I'm not about to do).

Dell S2716DG not fit the bill? I'm in the market for a new monitor and I'm really put off my some of the reports of the high end Acer & Asus monitors. The Dell, to me, seems like the safe bet, not as IPS panel, but good enough.

Soldato
Like Guy says above if you dont mind a TN panel then the Dell S2716DG is you best option, best price i have seen is direct from Dell.

Associate
Dell S2716DG not fit the bill? I'm in the market for a new monitor and I'm really put off my some of the reports of the high end Acer & Asus monitors. The Dell, to me, seems like the safe bet, not as IPS panel, but good enough.

I'm glad I bought a cheap monitor. My mate at work bought one of those Acer 27" IPS gsync beasts last year, died after 10 months. Power light but no display. Acer have had it over 3 months and it should be back next week... To me that's appalling for a £700 screen.

Associate
For me buying a monitor is the most unpleasant purchase experience as I know I'm going to have to go through a few before I get something decent. Luckily the viewsonic I bought recently was spot on. But it took me around 6-7 monitor from different brands to get there. And the whole experience was so frustrating.

Man of Honour
I'm glad I bought a cheap monitor. My mate at work bought one of those Acer 27" IPS gsync beasts last year, died after 10 months. Power light but no display. Acer have had it over 3 months and it should be back next week... To me that's appalling for a £700 screen.

A lot of those 27" 1440p G-Sync monitors use the same IPS or TN panel (and/or revisions of) from AUO and despite some strengths there are a lot of negatives to it - colour banding, screen burn*, some issues with the electronics that result in heat damage (not sure if the heat build up causes the issue initially or if there is a problem out the box with high current drain to ground causing heat that results in the eventual failure) and so on. Dell seems to have done the best of a bad job with the S2716DG, etc.

* From what I can gather these panels seem to be a spin off of AUO's AHVA development (not to be confused with VA technologies) which is more susceptible to it than other TN or IPS tech.

These days I've gone back to buying mostly Dell monitors as they seem the best of a bad bet when it comes to buying monitors now and (usually) a bit better CS experience if you do get a bad one - Asus especially are quite happy to palm you off with someone else's poorly refurbished monitor even if your brand new "premium" line panel dies after a fairly short time.

Soldato
OP
For me buying a monitor is the most unpleasant purchase experience as I know I'm going to have to go through a few before I get something decent. Luckily the viewsonic I bought recently was spot on. But it took me around 6-7 monitor from different brands to get there. And the whole experience was so frustrating.

Tell me about it!! I can't envisage it being remotely acceptable for any other product being open to such issues... can you imagine if buying a new car was like this? Scratches in the paintwork, scuffed alloys etc.? There would be a national outcry! Yet with monitors it's become almost accepted.

A lot of those 27" 1440p G-Sync monitors use the same IPS or TN panel (and/or revisions of) from AUO and despite some strengths there are a lot of negatives to it - colour banding, screen burn*, some issues with the electronics that result in heat damage (not sure if the heat build up causes the issue initially or if there is a problem out the box with high current drain to ground causing heat that results in the eventual failure) and so on. Dell seems to have done the best of a bad job with the S2716DG, etc.

* From what I can gather these panels seem to be a spin off of AUO's AHVA development (not to be confused with VA technologies) which is more susceptible to it than other TN or IPS tech.

These days I've gone back to buying mostly Dell monitors as they seem the best of a bad bet when it comes to buying monitors now and (usually) a bit better CS experience if you do get a bad one - Asus especially are quite happy to palm you off with someone else's poorly refurbished monitor even if your brand new "premium" line panel dies after a fairly short time.

Yes, AU Optronics do seem to be the worst culprits. It's frustrating as having tried quite a few monitors now, 32" 4K is definitely the sweet spot for me... perfect size given my viewing position, great for productivity, and games look great... I'm not in to fast twitch competitive shooters, so the 60Hz cap was an acceptable limitation for my needs. Furthermore, the Acer XB321HK is the only monitor of that description which features G-Sync... which is very nice to have. In all other respects it was a good panel... 10-bit and great uniformity. The issue they seem to have is in their assembly clean rooms... ironically named as they can't seem to keep dust/dirt out of the panels!!

Guy

Guy

Associate
Literally just bought myself a Dell S2716DG, as what people have said here have made me realise, it's the only suitable choice for me.

Permabanned
I'm hoping my PG279Q is one of the good ones that lasts, because the monitor is just absolutely badass.

Would do the Dell if I wasn't sensitive to TN. Some aren't bothered and if that's the case that one sounds like a slam dunk for gaming.

Soldato
One question - what did you do under their panels? :D

:D

Try Benq. Never had issues with them, and have excellent RMA process based in UK. (I have used their RMA 4 times now).

Associate

Certainly makes sense, the amount of horror stories you hear about these screens is alarming! I just cant get over the price these companies charge, so I'll stick with my no brand dirt cheap IPS which I only bought as a stop gap, but I'll be keeping it for a long while now as it's perfect for my needs. 1440p would be nice for the desktop, but for gaming I'd still be in 1080p as I like to have fps close to my 144hz refresh as possible. Playing games at 60hz feels like a slide show :(

Soldato
Never had an issue with them but have had to use their RMA process? does not compute :p

Had no issue with the brand. As of monitors the 2430T still goes strong after almost a decade, while the 2730Z had firmware upgrade made by them and two panel replacements after the initial and first replacement excibit bad flickering within 6 months. Last panel was brand new made in 2016, and didn't had issues more than 2 years now. And if someone visits the 2730Z thread, I was the only one with the problems.

Back
Top Bottom