• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why do all the 3rd party 2080/2080Ti cards look ridiculous?

Associate
The FE looks and "feels" like it should cost £1.1k - it's really weighty and solid in the hand compared to my EVGA 1080 FTWs.

The AIB boards look really cheap and horrible by comparison this time round, yet somehow cost more. I know that means little in terms of performance, but if I'm spending over £1K for a piece of high-end consumer electronics it should at least look the part.

Caporegime
The FE cooler has proven to not be that good at cooling.

Not all that surprising when nvidia basically sealed all the corners off and left limited air ventilation room. Usually dual fan cards have a lot of venting area where you can see through to the underlying heatsink, nvidia's thermal engineers either don't know what they're doing or were instructed to maintain looks over performance. =/ It is a nice looking card but it could have been much better had they not enclosed ithe vapour chamber so much.

The card has issues with it's led failing and conflicting with asus aura software, not an easy fix as the controller board is under that glued section so needs to be rma'd for something that a user could possibly fix if it had been screwed down.

Caporegime
The FE performs as expected at stock but doesn't hold over clocks as well as after-market cards?

Depends really, the aftermarket cards are better equipped to be able to clock up a bit and maintain decent temps and fan noise. I can't remember what the FE is limited to for power but some cards can go to 130% or thereabouts. But its a balancing act trying to get power and thermals in check to keep your overclock relatively steady. Cards with bigger heatsinks and larger\more fans SHOULD be able to do this better. But you could just get a duff chip that barely clocks much at all, so luck of the draw really.

Soldato
OP
I only buy FE cards anyway, my 1080 and 1080TI are FE, my R9 290 are all reference cards too :)

Been regularly checking the NVidia site for 2080TI stock, sadly no luck, also called them up and was told to keep checking but no dates given :(

Caporegime
I only buy FE cards anyway, my 1080 and 1080TI are FE, my R9 290 are all reference cards too :)

Been regularly checking the NVidia site for 2080TI stock, sadly no luck, also called them up and was told to keep checking but no dates given :(

Allegedly early next week for Fe cards to possibly be up for order.

Caporegime
Really, through NVidia or other retailers?

The geforce uk store, that's the only place selling the FE cards. Monday is from Tim @ nvidia, though he did reckon they would land wednesday past and that didn't seem to happen. Then again he's the vp of nvidia so presumably he knows who has stock, who does't, and whos about to get it.

Soldato
OP
The geforce uk store, that's the only place selling the FE cards. Monday is from Tim @ nvidia, though he did reckon they would land wednesday past and that didn't seem to happen. Then again he's the vp of nvidia so presumably he knows who has stock, who does't, and whos about to get it.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Associate
The FE cooler has proven to not be that good at cooling.

Where are you seeing that? Anything I have seen with better cooling is a three slot design. I know the press likes to rip on Nvidia but my 2080 FE stays under 60 at load when going balls out with the fans, and stays at 75C with fans around 45%. It's pretty damn quiet at that level.

Bench wise there isn't a 1080Ti or TitanP/XP that beats the 2080 FE on the bench threads around here, water cooled or not.

Man of Honour
The FE looks and "feels" like it should cost £1.1k - it's really weighty and solid in the hand compared to my EVGA 1080 FTWs.

The AIB boards look really cheap and horrible by comparison this time round, yet somehow cost more. I know that means little in terms of performance, but if I'm spending over £1K for a piece of high-end consumer electronics it should at least look the part.

That is why I was sad to move on from my 780GHz edition to a basic model Palit 1070 - the GHz had a proper backplate, minimal use of plastics on the shroud and a lot of copper in the heatsink - the Palit is almost entirely plastic and very "mass produced" plastic look and feel at that with almost all the heatsink aluminium. Given the price I bought it for relative to the normal 1070 price though I couldn't complain too much.

Soldato

If you think the FE feels weighty you clearly need to hold on of the AIB 2080Tis like the MSI etc, that’s weighty ;)

Associate
If you think the FE feels weighty you clearly need to hold on of the AIB 2080Tis like the MSI etc, that’s weighty ;)
Looking at how much metal goes into the coolers these days, I'm not surprised! :)

I'm probably being overharsh on the AIB cards. A small minority actually don't look bad, but then I take a look over at the EVGA XC Ultra (which I actually preordered and then cancelled to get the smaller, cheaper FE) and wonder what happened to their design department. I guess it's all very subjective in the end.

Associate
The FE performs as expected at stock but doesn't hold over clocks as well as after-market cards?

The FE as it comes when clocked as far as it will take will get into the 1900sMhz and then it gets hotter and stays in somewhere in the 1800s Mhz.
I know now I have my EK block on it that mine will go to at least 2070Mhz when cool enough and that quickly drops as the temp goes up. I have yet to re-install my full loop, which I hope will get it to stay cool and high.
So yes, the bigger coolers on the AIB cards should have a performance benefit. As has been noted the AIB cards have to have big coolers to outdo the FE version.

On Superposition benchmark I have done about 9400 with the 2080ti when the best I did with my EK'd 1080ti was 6002 (1080p extreme bench) - you can see me on the first page of the leaderboard. I have yet to do the best under my full loop.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

They are showing in stock today ;)

Back
Top Bottom