Disabled girl left cowering under table...

Associate
The two men who did it are in a relationship, and are known for being pretty nasty. It was their own friends who alerted GMP when they saw their faces in the appeal. Police have cctv and mobile phone footage of the attack. Vile bullies.

Caporegime
Yes, very weird, what prompted it?

One of my music agents has a disabled child and when I told her what I'd heard in McDonalds she said that people often came over to her and said things like "She shouldn't be in here" etc but she'd learned to take no notice :(
I wonder if any other posters have experience of this?

Again you're saying what prompted it then saying exactly the same thing has happened before !?

What prompts it is ***** picking on a disabled kid and the mother rightly telling them to shove something exceptionally large up thier arse hole

Man of Honour
Again you're saying what prompted it then saying exactly the same thing has happened before !?

What prompts it is ***** picking on a disabled kid and the mother rightly telling them to shove something exceptionally large up thier arse hole

No, once again this is on a way different level.
My agent NEVER went through what the family did in this case.
So what made them go to that level?

It's like you're comparing somebody saying derogatory gay comments to smacking your head in.

Associate
This is awful :( I feel so bad for the poor girl and the people she was with.
Without getting into "Keyboard Warrior" territory - I like to think that I would have the balls to step in and do what I could to help, but I really don't know what I would do if I witnessed something like that...I would likely be in a state of shock that two men could behave like that towards a disabled child

Soldato
I don't know if you remember the case of Sophie Lancaster, the goth who got killed for being different. She was with her boyfriend and they both got attacked and she was murdered for being different.

Sadly we're living in a more intolerant society were people think they have the right to openly comment and condemn others, to their face, if they don't like them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sophie_Lancaster

The murder of Sophie Lancaster occurred in the United Kingdom in 2007. The victim and her boyfriend, Robert Maltby, were attacked by a number of teenage boys while walking through Stubbylee Park in Bacup, Rossendale, Lancashire, on 11 August 2007. As a result of the severe head injuries Lancaster sustained in the attack, she went into a coma from which she never regained consciousness and died of her injuries thirteen days later. The police said the attack may have been linked to the couple wearing gothic fashion and being members of the goth subculture.

Soldato
Intolerance has been on the rise with hate crime across the board on the increase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45874265

The total number of hate incidents reached a record 94,098, from April 2017 to March this year - a rise of 17%. More than three-quarters (76%) of those were classified as "race hate".

Hate crime is defined as an offence which the victim considers to be driven by hostility towards their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or transgender identity.

Crimes targeted at people because of their sexual orientation made up 12% of the total, with religious hatred at 9%, disability hate 8% and transgender hate crimes 2%.

Caporegime
I'm not defending them at all but my concern is how are they supposed to get a fair trial when the incident has already been reported nationwide through the media as if it were fact? which I'm assuming is only one (the victims) side of the story. Isn't it the trial where the facts of the incident are established? we've had police statements along the lines of "yeah it's the worst incident I've ever heard of" and then presumably just repeating what the victim told them happened in their statement, isn't it their job to gather evidence not make judgements on what happened?

Also, hate crime should only be classed as such if the motive of the incident is 100% proven AT A TRIAL to be as a result of discrimination, not what the supposed victim "considers" or claims it to be. I wouild bet that in most fights involving say a white person and a black person, the black person will claim racism to aid their cause even if it was just a fight over a car parking space or some other trivial matter. How are police records on hate crimes supposed to be accurate when they're working with unsubstantiated allegations?

Soldato
Well with CCTV, witness statements from people there and a telling of the story by each of those involved, i am sure this will be pretty clear cut.

I doubt the media reports will effect the result of the trial with all that. So while the police may have an opinion, that doesn't matter too much as they aren't exactly passing judgement. They would have written up the statements of the people there but if they didn't witness the incident themselves, they can hardly give any comment as to what exactly happened.

As for the hate crime part. It is hard to pinpoint whether the primary motivation was because she was disabled or it was so they could look 'ard in front of his mate or to have a laugh. That said, if they were verbally abusive towards the girl because she was disabled, then it can be considered a hate crime regardless of whether the the attack that followed was a result of the mum aggressively confronting them or whether the verbal abuse was due to a hate for disabled people or not.

Someone can accuse another of a hate crime just as easily as the perpetrator can deny it and claim a different motivation. The courts can only go on what actually happened and make a judgement on that.

Associate
The two males are in a relationship, not mates.
I wouild bet that in most fights involving say a white person and a black person, the black person will claim racism to aid their cause even if it was just a fight over a car parking space or some other trivial matter. How are police records on hate crimes supposed to be accurate when they're working with unsubstantiated allegations?

I suppose on your rationale the perpetrators can claim the victims were making homophobic slurs then. The violence will have been caught on CCTV, only dished out by one of the men.

Back
Top Bottom