The monitor curse... no, really...

Associate
outside of the QC issues, what was your impression of the Acer? I might just get that to replace my 3008wfp and use remaining budget to upgrade the rift to an Odyssey.

Are there any 32inch 4k G-Sync panels on the horizon to look out for in the near future?

Soldato
OP
outside of the QC issues, what was your impression of the Acer? I might just get that to replace my 3008wfp and use remaining budget to upgrade the rift to an Odyssey.

Are there any 32inch 4k G-Sync panels on the horizon to look out for in the near future?

I actually really liked it. 32" is the ideal size for 4K... well, you can go a bit bigger arguably if you have space, but 27" is too small. It is the only 32" 4K G-Sync monitor available annoyingly. I'm not sure when any others might come out, but it amazes me this is the only one, and it's not even like this was released recently... it's nearly 3 years old!!

Associate
I actually really liked it. 32" is the ideal size for 4K... well, you can go a bit bigger arguably if you have space, but 27" is too small. It is the only 32" 4K G-Sync monitor available annoyingly. I'm not sure when any others might come out, but it amazes me this is the only one, and it's not even like this was released recently... it's nearly 3 years old!!

Thanks. Yeah, my main hesitation is around it's age in the market already. I was hoping I'd missed something regarding new products coming out with similar specs.

Associate
Well this thread is thoroughly depressing. I am in the market for a 27" GSync monitor but it seems like they all have some kind of issue while being hideously expensive. As with the above post, is there nothing imminent which gives some hope to new panels or better QC? Are 27" panels the worse affected and is there any benefit to going for something larger?

Associate
Well this thread is thoroughly depressing. I am in the market for a 27" GSync monitor but it seems like they all have some kind of issue while being hideously expensive. As with the above post, is there nothing imminent which gives some hope to new panels or better QC? Are 27" panels the worse affected and is there any benefit to going for something larger?

I recently got a Acer Predator XB271 IPS / g-sync and its fine, no dead pixels and no noticeable be bleed, so they are certainly not all bad.

Soldato
Buying a new monitor always fills me with dread, it is an absolute panel lottery as to getting a reasonable one, with horrendous QC.

I kinda feel sorry for the retailers having to deal with the returns and I feel that it is most important to choose one with a very flexible returns policy.

I have tried 34" UW and also 32" 4K. Putting aside my personal thoughts on UW or 4k the BLB and other quite serious quality issues with the screens I got were terribly frustrating, understatement there.
The screen glitching issues on all 32" 4k Optronics panels is particularly bad.

In the end I have up trying to replace my 27" 1440p Benq and managed to buy a 25" 1440p Dell to compliment it which was acceptable and bought direct from Dell.

Of all the hardware that I buy having to buy a new monitor is never an easy experience

Associate
I have bought many screens in my time. Some bad but I have to admit last 7 years have been very lucky with the Panel Lottery. I still remember a 24 inch monitor with half covered in a orange glow.

Soldato
Had no issue with the brand. As of monitors the 2430T still goes strong after almost a decade, while the 2730Z had firmware upgrade made by them and two panel replacements after the initial and first replacement excibit bad flickering within 6 months. Last panel was brand new made in 2016, and didn't had issues more than 2 years now. And if someone visits the 2730Z thread, I was the only one with the problems.
It was quite funny what you said though.

Soldato
It was quite funny what you said though.

I was honest. As brand BenQ has been good from experience and also has a UK based support. You will read in here many support issues with Asus, Acer etc.
Also it seems from the big list of 2730Z owners I was the only one with those issues. Saying that, from the current lineup of monitors and their pricing (like LG), my next one going to be a Benq also.

Soldato
I was honest. As brand BenQ has been good from experience and also has a UK based support. You will read in here many support issues with Asus, Acer etc.
Also it seems from the big list of 2730Z owners I was the only one with those issues. Saying that, from the current lineup of monitors and their pricing (like LG), my next one going to be a Benq also.
I know I know. It was still funny read in isolation.

Associate
This is why I skipped even trying for 27" IPS G-sync 144hz.

Bought a Viewsonic XG2402 instead, and, drumroll....I had to return it as it developed two weird faults within a week;
1. the OSD stopped working, so unable to change any settings
2. screen went black whenever changing resolution or refresh rate, until it was unplugged and plugged in again

Luckily bought direct from Amazon for their great return policy, and the replacement has been fine.
Both panels are perfect though, very impressed.

Associate
This is why I skipped even trying for 27" IPS G-sync 144hz.

Bought a Viewsonic XG2402 instead, and, drumroll....I had to return it as it developed two weird faults within a week;
1. the OSD stopped working, so unable to change any settings
2. screen went black whenever changing resolution or refresh rate, until it was unplugged and plugged in again

Luckily bought direct from Amazon for their great return policy, and the replacement has been fine.
Both panels are perfect though, very impressed.

Hello,

Looking at buying this VS xg2402, I first looked at the xg2401 but it looked hideous but the 2018 revision i've discovered today looks just about the best spec there is in ~£220 price range, just about every other offering in the 144hz/freesync 1080p category has something wrong with it, crappy input lag, ghosting, really old etc.

Can you tell me how this reduced input lag feature works, do you need to disable freesync? can you disable freesync on the monitor? ive read some comments somewhere on these types of monitors you can't use the reduced input lag feature using amd because you are bound to freesync?

Also what is the height when using the maximum, getting mixed information.

Thanks

Soldato
I recently got a Acer Predator XB271 IPS / g-sync and its fine, no dead pixels and no noticeable be bleed, so they are certainly not all bad.

Same I’ve had a couple of pg279q’s with much worse bleed and a horrible yellowing toward the top of the screen on whites.

I settled on the acer in the end and first try I got lucky with it. Mine has excellent uniformity and no white issues or bleed/dust/pixel issues. Although I’ve had a fair few screens that have.

Same with TV’s. Have gone through several oleds and lcds to find the perfect one. My current E8 is perfect. But even that alone took three attempts and have had several different models before that.

Panel lottery in general over all screens is very much a big issue regardless of cost. Just seems QC is nonexistent on screens.

Soldato
Two years on and no sign of improvements in quality or price and no new models that make you want to buy them unless you have £2000+
My PG279Q is/was one of the good ones but its developed a small group of stuck pixels bottom right which doesnt bother me I have to look really hard to see them but just knowing they are there makes you annoyed. Sad thing is I probably use it about 2 hrs a day sometimes less so its not even overuse! I even had a thunderbug this summer but luckily it disappeared.

Best monitor I ever had was a 4k Samsung and a Benq 3D 1440p gsync.

I would love 32" or 31" but I just dont have the space.

Associate
Hello,

Looking at buying this VS xg2402, I first looked at the xg2401 but it looked hideous but the 2018 revision i've discovered today looks just about the best spec there is in ~£220 price range, just about every other offering in the 144hz/freesync 1080p category has something wrong with it, crappy input lag, ghosting, really old etc.

Can you tell me how this reduced input lag feature works, do you need to disable freesync? can you disable freesync on the monitor? ive read some comments somewhere on these types of monitors you can't use the reduced input lag feature using amd because you are bound to freesync?

Also what is the height when using the maximum, getting mixed information.

Thanks

Bit late seeing this post but - I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it does seem to work decently according to reviews - I left it on the default 'fast' mode and can't fault it at all, gaming is brilliant.
Can't comment on if it works with Freesync as I'm using an nVidia card. You can definitely disable Freesync though, and I don't see why it wouldn't work with Freesync tbh.

Back
Top Bottom