Darwin 101

Man of Honour
Not just India - few nights ago was getting a lift to the pub with a friend on a fast main road approaching a pedestrian crossing and the lights went instantly from green to red with no transition - to a man person the people waiting to cross stepped out the moment the walk light went green without a single glance around them (one was still looking at their phone). No idea how my friend managed to miss them - if he'd frozen up even for a second I can't imagine there wouldn't have been fatalities.

Caporegime
Not just India - few nights ago was getting a lift to the pub with a friend on a fast main road approaching a pedestrian crossing and the lights went instantly from green to red with no transition - to a man person the people waiting to cross stepped out the moment the walk light went green without a single glance around them (one was still looking at their phone). No idea how my friend managed to miss them - if he'd frozen up even for a second I can't imagine there wouldn't have been fatalities.

Heh when I was in uni in Manchester huge crowd of students wishing to cross Oxford road outside the union (very busy traffic)

One person who didn't want to wait saw and opening and just walked across cue 50-60+ people all walking out from.both sides as cars slammed on honked horns etc (one dude just floored it through the middle). Because they saw one person go they all just assumed the lights had changed

Man of Honour
Heh when I was in uni in Manchester huge crowd of students wishing to cross Oxford road outside the union (very busy traffic)

One person who didn't want to wait saw and opening and just walked across cue 50-60+ people all walking out from.both sides as cars slammed on honked horns etc (one dude just floored it through the middle). Because they saw one person go they all just assumed the lights had changed

Used to see similar kind of stuff when I was in London it is amazing there aren't more accidents.

Soldato
Doesn't surprise me.....in the few years I have been here I have seen a number (excess of 10) of fatalities. One happened right in front of me when a bus rolled over some guys chest. It was 100% his fault.

No helmets, no safety belts and a complete lack of respect for any road discipline. I have little sympathy.

When you speak to Indians about it their response is always the same :

"We do this because this is India"...

This train incident....albeit tragic.....is just chance turning against them. When you roll the dice with your life time and time again.....sometimes you roll out.

Soldato

Impossible to be no “transition”, you just didnt see it.

But see people stepping out withou looking all the time, especially as its my job to fix traffic lights so im always in that situation

Soldato
One of the reasons I ditched my smartphone and WhatsApp was the gross videos being forwarded around of these silly people getting killed unnecessarily. Ugh.

Soldato
Incredibly sad. What an utter waste of human life. I think the authorities will have a lot to answer for. Was this licenced, did they know it was an active line etc. We all know road and railway safety in India is abysmal but this is on another level.

Soldato
I think the authorities will have a lot to answer for. Was this licenced, did they know it was an active line etc. We all know road and railway safety in India is abysmal but this is on another level.

You are thinking with a Western brain in respect to this.

Licensed? No chance

The authorities being held responsible? No chance

Soldato
That's more a problem with your social group than the tech tbh.
Actually I've been surprised by the people sharing sick stuff. Shock culture has always been around. It's just easier to get the material for the 'lulz' now. People are maybe a bit desensitised to it all these days.

Man of Honour

But see people stepping out withou looking all the time, especially as its my job to fix traffic lights so im always in that situation

Well no visible transition - possibly related a couple of nights before when I came home from work that way the set of lights around the corner from there were holding on red for 30 seconds or so, going amber, green, stopping on green for 3 seconds then going back to red, repeat.

Soldato
Well no visible transition - possibly related a couple of nights before when I came home from work that way the set of lights around the corner from there were holding on red for 30 seconds or so, going amber, green, stopping on green for 3 seconds then going back to red, repeat.

Wont bore you with timings etc. But if thats the case complain to the council as something seriously wrong

Caporegime

In the case of a working traffic light, sure. But if faulty? Faults - esp short circuits - can cause all softs of different failure modes.

If the amber bit isn't working you'd have green...nothing/pause... red, or possibly even green...red depending on how the the circuit fails if shorted/faulty.

Back
Top Bottom