Marrakech in Nov? Or somewhere else?

Soldato
We have quite a few days of leave left to use before the year end so are thinking of going away for a short break mid November. Thought it might be possible to chase some sunshine so the current front-runner is Valetta (Malta). We went to Malta years ago in the peak of summer and loved it, thought 4-5 days around the city would be interesting. Enjoy a nice hotel, see some of the sights we missed last time etc.

Marrakech is another idea, but I get the impression it might be quite hard work. All the haggling, hassle from people in the street etc. is not my idea of fun. However I've been talking to a colleague who heartily recommended staying in a posh riad, and found it very relaxing. Thoughts? I'm guessing it wouldn't be "hot" in November but a bit of sunshine would be nice. Who's been?

We always need something more than a beach, we like a bit of culture, good food etc. I would be very excited about the food in Morocco for one.

Thanks.

Soldato
we have booked a family week away to Teneriffe end November.

I think we paid around £1400 for me and the wife, 4yo daughter and baby.

Expecting around mid 20's for temperature wise.

Had some family go to morocco and wouldn't go back, just didn't like it although that's personal preference.

Associate
Food in Morocco is a bit boring.. you get sick of tagines after three days. Marrakech is worth spending three or four days, can do day trips to the atlas mountains and have a sauna/massage. If you have more time you can book an overnight trip into the Sahara.

Dont bother with the shopping - it is definitely not worth the aggro.

Soldato
OP
Yeah 3-4 days was what we were thinking. I could eat taglines for a week quite happily, although I'd like to think we'd dive a bit deeper into the cuisine. Hmn..

Soldato
Marrakech temperature wise would be around 20-25 in November you will get hassled in the market but just walk away and don't reply. Theirs lots of hotels & raids that are great for relaxing they offer muds baths, hamam etc...

I was in Marrakech in march and just came back form a second visit in northern morocco, if you wanted to venture a bit you could always go up the atlas mountains or ourrzazate (might be bit far for the time frame).

If you going to eat at the food stalls in the market square I recommend choosing a busy one, also one with locals that way you know its good food.

I recommend trying out haira soup, Pastilla , Cous Cous is traditional cooked on fridays so its best day to have it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As above, avoid the main market and tourist shops (or pop in for a look and leave again) and you should be fine from my experience. I most of the streets (even in the older areas outside the market) people will just ignore you.

Not sure I could recommend 4 days there, but I’m not a city person. A trip to the mountains may be a good option. You could always do a couple or more days if you’re into hiking/climbing.

Soldato
Did Marrakech in march a few years ago, 4 days was more than enough, we stayed in a Riad right in the middle of the old town, once you got use to the narrow streets and stalls everywhere the shopping thing it's not so bad. Get a Riad with its own Hamam sauna as the public ones are scary! Definatly do the Atlas Mountains. The market Square at night was very good the median comescto life at night and some of the best food I've had in North Africa.

We spent very little that visit as the Riad was £24pnpp and flights were £100 return, food and water are super cheep and with no hold luggage the airport was a brease.

Would I go again? No. Did we enjoy it? Yes, well worth the experience.

Caporegime
We have quite a few days of leave left to use before the year end so are thinking of going away for a short break mid November. Thought it might be possible to chase some sunshine so the current front-runner is Valetta (Malta). We went to Malta years ago in the peak of summer and loved it, thought 4-5 days around the city would be interesting. Enjoy a nice hotel, see some of the sights we missed last time etc.

Marrakech is another idea, but I get the impression it might be quite hard work. All the haggling, hassle from people in the street etc. is not my idea of fun. However I've been talking to a colleague who heartily recommended staying in a posh riad, and found it very relaxing. Thoughts? I'm guessing it wouldn't be "hot" in November but a bit of sunshine would be nice. Who's been?

We always need something more than a beach, we like a bit of culture, good food etc. I would be very excited about the food in Morocco for one.

Thanks.

I've been to marrakech twice now.

I wouldn't stay in a riad if you don't like the idea of being hassled. Riads are in old town. This is basically like the real marrakech. A lot of poverty, etc and basically people trying to scam you or sell you something.

If you stay in the new town. It's basically like any other city in the world. You won't get hassled as such but you will still have scammers pretending to be nice people to sell you something like argan oil, etc. You will also get asked if you want drugs, etc.

Nightlife you want to avoid if going with your partner. Basically the African version of Thailand. Tbh it's more of an outdoorsy holiday where you go to the mountains, dune buggying, etc. Out of the city and away from people. Or a great place for a lads holiday.

Soldato
I've been to marrakech twice now.

I wouldn't stay in a riad if you don't like the idea of being hassled. Riads are in old town. This is basically like the real marrakech. A lot of poverty, etc and basically people trying to scam you or sell you something.

I have been to marrakech many times you can find raids outside the old town, their are some really nice ones in the old which offer relaxing experiences, swimming pool, spa, massage etc. Marrakech is not considered poor its one of the more expense city to live in morocco.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was there for New Year once, long ago, I vaguely remember that I was
out without a jacket during the day, but froze my nuts off at night.

Caporegime
Also interested in this thread. Looking for a February holiday (ish) that is warm. Gf doesn't have the funds for Mexico so needs to be somewhere nearer.

I'm also on the fence about Morocco. Best seem to get is 'its pretty ', worst.. 'never would go back'. Which doesnt fill me with confidence.

Man of Honour
Also interested in this thread. Looking for a February holiday (ish) that is warm. Gf doesn't have the funds for Mexico so needs to be somewhere nearer.

I'm also on the fence about Morocco. Best seem to get is 'its pretty ', worst.. 'never would go back'. Which doesnt fill me with confidence.

I haven’t been there for years now, but I remember my times there fondly, but of course, the Muslim “thing” is the elephant in the room these days.
I don’t suppose any Muslim country could be pronounced completely “safe”, but why not consider Agadir if you fancy Morocco?
I found it be a a tad more “Frenchified” than Casablanca or Marrakech, although I don’t know why that would make it safer.
I approached the front desk of the hotel that I was staying at when I first went there, and the guy on the desk greeted me with, “Bonjour m’sieu, bienvenue á l’hôtel Whatever.”
When in Rome and all that, I humoured him, and replied in French.
After a minute or two, he said, “Êtes-vous québécois?“
“Non, je suis anglais”, I replied, subtly adding, “malheuresement.”
“Ah”, he said, in English, “I couldn’t get your accent, please excuse me sir”, and all was well that ended well.
Of course, I was single then, mid thirties, and the place was running alive with knockout women, maybe that was why I liked it so much.

Soldato
Thought about Cape Verde? I'm going there in Feb, got some good cheap flights to Sal for £220 return. Supposed to be lovely weather all year round, albeit a little windy at times.

Man of Honour
I went with a big group of my friends (mainly guys and 3 or 4 girls) to my friends local town, Larache. We travelled all over by car so got to see Marrakech, Taniger, Agadir, Casablanca, etc.

When we were in Marrakech we were walking through a market and heard a shriek and commotion behind us. We all turned to see our friend, Aysha, on the floor scuffling with a man. It turns out when she was walking along at the back, some local had run up to her and grabbed her boobs and was basically sexually assaulting her. She was a Taekwondo champion so instinctively let rip at this chap.

Police turned up and naturally sided with the locals, we spent a lot of time in the local police station giving statements and what not. We decided rather than getting the consulate or whatever involved we would just give them some money (this despite 2 of our Moroccan friends pleading to them) because we didn't want to ruin the holiday.

Similarly when we were travelling to Agadir theres a section of road with lots of roundabouts with police stationed at each one. We got stopped at every single roundabout and told we were speeding (which was bull****) and to pay a 'fine'. No receipt was given for said 'fine' and it basically when the policemans pocket.

Backhole of a country, corruption and poverty everywhere, incredibly dirty and the people aren't friendly at all. A complete contrast to when I was in Egypt, Tunisia and Abu Dhabi for example. I've travelled a lot around the world and Morocco is the only place I would never go back to.

Sounds like a bummer, shame that you felt that you had to cough up, when your friend was the injured party, so to speak.
I was in Morocco years ago, and stopped in the right hand lane at some lights, in a little Renault R4.
A few second later, someone behind started beeping, and although I couldn’t see one, I thought that maybe there was a green filter I’d missed, or they’d adopted the U.S. idea of turning right on a red, so I turned right, although I wanted to go straight on.
Sure enough, a copper was round the corner, and stopped me, I grovelled an apology, throwing in, “Je m’excuse, je suis anglais”
He said, “Vous n’avez pas feux de circulation en Angleterre?” (You don’t have traffic lights in England?)
Then, after calling me all the “batards idiots” under the sun, he said, “Allez-vous en.” A polite version of F off.

Caporegime
Thought about Cape Verde? I'm going there in Feb, got some good cheap flights to Sal for £220 return. Supposed to be lovely weather all year round, albeit a little windy at times.
Cape Verde is a great easy 7 day holiday. Can highly recommend hotel odjo agua

After 7 days the island is done (stayed in Sal too)
Fantastic weather. No trouble or danger.
A pic I took of our hotel is below.

HVs8FV1l.jpg

Caporegime
I went with a big group of my friends (mainly guys and 3 or 4 girls) to my friends local town, Larache. We travelled all over by car so got to see Marrakech, Taniger, Agadir, Casablanca, etc.

When we were in Marrakech we were walking through a market and heard a shriek and commotion behind us. We all turned to see our friend, Aysha, on the floor scuffling with a man. It turns out when she was walking along at the back, some local had run up to her and grabbed her boobs and was basically sexually assaulting her. She was a Taekwondo champion so instinctively let rip at this chap.

Police turned up and naturally sided with the locals, we spent a lot of time in the local police station giving statements and what not. We decided rather than getting the consulate or whatever involved we would just give them some money (this despite 2 of our Moroccan friends pleading to them) because we didn't want to ruin the holiday.

Similarly when we were travelling to Agadir theres a section of road with lots of roundabouts with police stationed at each one. We got stopped at every single roundabout and told we were speeding (which was bull****) and to pay a 'fine'. No receipt was given for said 'fine' and it basically when the policemans pocket.

Backhole of a country, corruption and poverty everywhere, incredibly dirty and the people aren't friendly at all. A complete contrast to when I was in Egypt, Tunisia and Abu Dhabi for example. I've travelled a lot around the world and Morocco is the only place I would never go back to.

the market (souks) is full of perverts and some ridiculously rude people.

i was in a handbag stall and the wife asked a guy if he had the same bag in a different colour or something along those lines or if he had a new one as it had a mark and he said he would look. after he showed her several different bags she was like no sorry i'm not interested in those i want the same bag either in a different colour or a new one. he basically said you just wasted my time and was being rude and aggressive, shouting, etc. she was like I definitely won't be buying from here and we walked out. i felt like saying something but honestly what difference would it make to this moron.

at a different shop i asked a guy if he had a specific type of something and he said he would go check at others shops. basically i knew he was going to go to another shop and if he found it he would say i'll sell it for you how much you want and if i can't get that i'll come back and return. so he was going to try and bump me. we waited for 5 mins and the other guy at the shop started commenting on the boobs of a woman who was walking past. then started asking personal questions. i took that as our queue to leave. he then said his boss was away trying to help us and we should wait but we left.

i also had an old guy come bee line straight towards me as he crossed a road and he got into my personal space so i just brushed him away in the chest. i'm 6 foot tall with some pretty big shoulders and i've lifted weights for most of my adult life so he understood i wasn't messing about or wanting to listen to whatever he was going to say to me. i think his intentions were to try and pick pocket me.

i also had some guy who was riding a cart with a donkey down a tiny alleyway and i decided to take a picture as the scene looked good. he proceeded to swear at me in english for taking his photo in a public space. it wasn't really him more the cart going down a tiny alley, etc.

you wouldn't really get this anywhere else. i don't know why they are this way. but like i said it's only good for a lad's holiday and sticking to the new town.

Soldato
Cape Verde is a great easy 7 day holiday. Can highly recommend hotel odjo agua

After 7 days the island is done (stayed in Sal too)
Fantastic weather. No trouble or danger.
A pic I took of our hotel is below.

HVs8FV1l.jpg

Hey man thanks a lot for the recommendation. Still haven't booked accomodation yet so will definitely look into that! When did you go mate? Was it very wnidy?

Back
Top Bottom