Am I mad for evening slightly considering a 3000GT/GTO as a first car

Associate
I’ve owned a GTO and a 3000GT many years ago and TBH don’t bother.

I had major issues with brake discs warping because the oem and after market brands I tried just weren’t up to the job.

The turbo lag is horrendous too.

Only positive I can offer is that they still look quite modern and eye catching

Soldato
I'd give it 3 months and you'll be in the back of someone or a ditch.

(Reasonably) powerful car and new driver? Not wise.

The only car I've ever put in a ditch was one of the least powerful I've ever owned.

FWIW, I think a 3000GT is too much hassle, but something like a 350Z or even a MK3 MX5 would be a good choice.

Caporegime
Would it?

Then again I wouldn't have it as a daily either

4ws, twin turbo, active aero, electronically adjustable suspension, abused by all the F&F wannabes, etc.

Add to that the age and limited supply of parts and you've got yourself a recipe for one helluva pricey car to run. Certainly not daily material.

Caporegime
If your a petrol head with a passion for such cars then why the hell not?

I’m running an 18 year old 735i V8 because I love them - had a 728 years back and always wanted another - it’s a one owner low mileage example yet I’ve spent £1500 on it this year so far in servicing and preventative maintenance, it’s a passion for me and I’m more than happy to do so.

But to want a car because it was “your car in Gran Turismo” is bloody nuts!

You may well find insurance relatively cheap but that’s where cheapness will end, never mind your lack of driving experience, a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Get something sensible.

Soldato
It is a big part of it though. More statistics pumps up the premiums. Theres a reason BMWs on average cost more to insure :D

Soldato
OP
I think i should prob go with my first idea and get a Octavia for first car and see what happens after a year or so. Going to have me a night time driving lesson today

Back
Top Bottom