what older electronic goods still serve you well ?

Associate
A Nokia N95 8GB - long retired from use as a phone, but makes for a very decent MP3 player.

I tried to replace it with an iPod (the first, last, and only Apple product I've ever bought) that allegedly had the best sound quality of any iPod, and ended up returning it because it sounded nowhere near as good as the N95 8GB.

Soldato
Lots of love for Panasonic plasmas. My 50" V20 is still going nicely from 2010 and would be challenging to replace due to the lovely picture quality... although the 42" PZ80 which I upgraded from was also amazing and hopefully is still going strong in its new home.

Caporegime
My DC07. Funny it is still one of the most powerful Dysons ever made. Had it since 2001. Was originally my dads and passed down to me. A little tatty aesthetically and it is loud but serviced all the time.

I have things older but the Dyson is used daily.

Man of Honour
Hang on, I forgot my Bosch washing machine. It's not quite as old as my 1981 clock radio. But we bought it in 1997 or 1998 and it's still (just about) running despite being used at least one and often twice a day since. I'll be devastated when that thing dies.

Soldato
Morphy Richards clock radio I got 20 year ago. On 24/7 still going strong.

Oh and a Parnall dryer that was a hand me down which must be nearly 30 years old.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Caporegime
Caporegime
Most of my power tools are older than I am (I'm 23). Drill, grinder, heat gun, compressor. As well as most of my manual tools, some of which are over 40 years old. The electric pillar drill must be about 40 years old as well.

The hoover, a Dyson DC01 is 25 years old.

Aside from that most things I have are newer than 10 years old.

My Nans fridge freezer is about 35 years old though.

Last edited:
I mainly wet-shave, but still use my Philishave 4826 most days. It was from Argos for £60 back in January 2001. Minus the odd blade changes, it's still going strong which makes it just shy of 18 years old! I still get about 40 minutes out of the battery as well. I did a recent search for Philishave, and it seems that the brand is discontinued. If you want an electric razor with the 3 dials like mine below, apparently you now have to search for "Philips dry shaver" for similar stuff.

I think the only other electronics that I have that lasted 18 years or longer is my BBC Micro.

9xrybXo.png

Soldato
I had a Sharp MD722 Minidisc player that I bought in 1998 and still used until I killed it after dropping it on the garage floor earlier this year, so 20 years of service and still going until I killed it with clumsiness. Ah the late 90's musical memories :D

Not my pic but it looked like this.

WxpktW9.jpg

Man of Honour
I had a Sharp MD722 Minidisc player that I bought in 1998 and still used until I killed it after dropping it on the garage floor earlier this year, so 20 years of service and still going until I killed it with clumsiness. Ah the late 90's musical memories :D

Not my pic but it looked like this.

WxpktW9.jpg

I've still got the original Sony MZ-1 that cost me £500 back in 1992.
At the time I played in a music duo and produced all my own backing tracks with 1 song per cassette tape which my duo partner used to place in a double cassette player.
When the MZ-1 came out it was a revelation.

Caporegime
Just remembered as it’s Christmas. We have a dancing Santa that my grandad bought from JL in 1981. It goes back in the garden shed each year but is still going strong. It cost him £20, which I imagine was a lot of money for a Christmas decoration in 1981.

Caporegime
Just remembered as it’s Christmas. We have a dancing Santa that my grandad bought from JL in 1981. It goes back in the garden shed each year but is still going strong. It cost him £20, which I imagine was a lot of money for a Christmas decoration in 1981.

£55 - £60 ish nowadays I think

e; Apparently not, its £73~ according the the BoE website!

Back
Top Bottom