Have you ever tried to remove yourself from social media / online accounts?

Soldato
What a nightmare! These companies don't like to lose you do they.

Just jumped through numerous hoops to get my account "deleted" yet a load of data is still left behind. Strava and instagram are ones which spring to mind (there must be about 10 like this) where after you close the account you can still login and reset your password. Revolut simply won't let you leave....period!

How do you fully come off these sites?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

• The GDPR introduces a right for individuals to have personal data erased.
  • The right to erasure is also known as ‘the right to be forgotten’.
  • Individuals can make a request for erasure verbally or in writing.
  • You have one month to respond to a request.
  • The right is not absolute and only applies in certain circumstances.
  • This right is not the only way in which the GDPR places an obligation on you to consider whether to delete personal data.

Individuals have the right to have their personal data erased if:

• the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose which you originally collected or processed it for;
  • you are relying on consent as your lawful basis for holding the data, and the individual withdraws their consent;
  • you are relying on legitimate interests as your basis for processing, the individual objects to the processing of their data, and there is no overriding legitimate interest to continue this processing;
  • you are processing the personal data for direct marketing purposes and the individual objects to that processing;
  • you have processed the personal data unlawfully (ie in breach of the lawfulness requirement of the 1st principle);
  • you have to do it to comply with a legal obligation; or
  • you have processed the personal data to offer information society services to a child.
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...tion-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/

Soldato
I've removed myself from Facebook, but still keep Messenger as I use it to talk to people in other countries. To be honest it was relatively simple to deactivate my account. Apart from that, I don't find myself being distracted by, or wasting much time on other sites, so it's not a concern :)

Soldato
OP
I've removed myself from Facebook, but still keep Messenger as I use it to talk to people in other countries. To be honest it was relatively simple to deactivate my account. Apart from that, I don't find myself being distracted by, or wasting much time on other sites, so it's not a concern :)

I'm keeping facebook as my spotify is linked to it (and its a pain to change it, plus its also linked to my vodafone contract) and I also use messenger. The other rubbish is going, basically I'm having a cleanse. It's amazing what rubbish I've built up over the years.

"Luckily" google has a good history of my password logins so I can catch most stuff.

Didn't even know I was on yahoo till I got rid of flickr lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Never done any social media like Facebook, Twitter or instagram. Just don’t want my whole life out there for everyone to see. it still baffles me how so many people think nothing of posting there entire life for strangers to view not knowing where all that data and personal info is going.
I find Facebook is getting forced more and more on us even eBay offers to login with Facebook now instead which is bizarre :confused:

Man of Honour
Just don’t want my whole life out there for everyone to see.

You are in control of how much information you give the site and what other people post is still going to be there whether you have an account or not - Facebook even seems to have some kind of ghost profiles for people who don't have accounts that it has figured out (probably) exist.

Soldato
I'm glad to see people are waking up to social media.

The trouble is, I need to access it in my industry so I have little choice - I update my business stuff but I don't put any personal comments, posts or anything on there now.

Soldato
Never had any issues as I never signed up in the first place to any social media sites :)
I know with some e mail accounts when you want to delete them they will remain active for 30 days from the point of requesting it but if you login it cancels this request until done again.

Soldato
I've unfortunately had to go the other way as various people signed up to facebook and instagram using my email address. I don't have any friends on facebook and haven't added a profile picture or personal details, I've also locked it down so I can't be added but I do follow a local burger joint. As for Instagram I've just left it and don't follow anybody

Soldato
I need to get rid of Facebook and Twitter accounts, i haven't used either for donkeys years. Is there a good guide to get yourself removed properly inclusing data?

Associate
I need to get rid of Facebook and Twitter accounts, i haven't used either for donkeys years. Is there a good guide to get yourself removed properly inclusing data?

Deactivated my Facebook account a couple of months ago. With hindsight, I think I might have been best off changing some of the data to be random rubbish just in case it hasn't really been deleted - I mean, how would I ever know?

To answer your question @robgmun - have a look on YouTube for 'thehatedone' - good source for that kind of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom