Building regs required???

Associate
Going to give building control a call wednesday anyway but thought i would see if anyone has done this and knows if I would need building regs or not. I have a double garage and at this time of year its absolutely freezing to be out there. so my idea is to plasterboard the ceiling (currently just bare joists) and on top of that add in roughly 270 to 300mm of insulation, I need to leave a gap in the plaster board for a loft hatch which will also be insulated. Given I'm not replcing a existing ceiling not sure if it falls under permitted development or any other loophole of the building regs etc, anyone got any ideas on this thanks

Associate
OP
Never done that before ;) only reason I'm asking is more for fire regs etc dont want say a battery charger to go pop cause a fire and then insurance not pay out because building had been altered and not signed off. I mean its not like i plan on sleeping in the garage so its not a conversion so doesnt require planing permission

Soldato
If it's not a heated space (as in connected to you heating system) and you're not doing structural alterations or amending a fire escape route, they very likely won't care.

Associate
If you’re concerned about fire, board it out with fire board, use intumescent paint and mastic, use putty pads behind the pattresses, fire doors, smoke seals etc.

Back
Top Bottom