• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

KFA2 1080 EX OC - hot?

Associate
Only owned the card for a week so cannot say how its always performed (had it off a mate who had no issues that I know of although he probably never looked at temps)

Anyway, its regularly reaching 90+ while gaming. Just wondering if anyone else had one of these cards and what temps they are reaching?

I have a feeling its going to need repasting but curious before I rip it apart

Soldato
i have 1080 ex oc over 2 years now , it doesn't get that hot , never went over 75c and thats with overclock , now its even cooler when i changed thermal paste to liquid metal .

Associate
OP
The card is pristine condition, it was used for about a week before my mate upgraded to a Ti and has sat in a box ever since.

I'll whip it apart tonight and have a look at the paste, its the first air cooled card I've had in over a decade so getting used to high GPU temps is taking some getting used to

thanks guys!!!

Associate
OP
Its fair to say the paste was past its best.

Just finished a few quick stress tests with the Kryonaut paste applied. Happy to report back its dropped by at least 10 degrees.

Was easily reaching peak temp 93 degrees before, now I cant get it over 82 degrees which is great, I also get the bonus of now having the card hit voltage limits instead of power limits despite having the same OC applied.
Clock rates aren't the highest at 1950/5300 but its stable and much cooler while gaming. I did push it much further but was getting artifacts in Windows after running 3d mark,not during. :confused:

I think I might get rid of it in favour of a card I can actually watercool with a decent full cover block, nothing available for these cards apart from Alphacool semi generic or EK generic (which I hate). I want <50 degrees again for my GPU

32103193238_23e28e55d2_h.jpg

Back
Top Bottom