Been let down by another supplier and need advice....

Associate
Hi all

My son over the weekend purchased an MSi gaming pc online during the Black Friday madness and after setting it up for him I've discovered the specs of the graphic card are not what he was expecting, it should have had a GTX1060 GPU with 6GB of memory but it's only a 3GB model, and there are a few other issues with it. I've had numerous conversations with the company to get it resolved but they have been far from helpful and as it stands he can't use the pc as it's now due to be collected and the chances of getting some form of replacement looks unlikely at his price point of £800, so he'll either have to stump up another £300 to get the same spec and wait a week for it to be delivered or I can build one for him, and it looks like there is no £300 coming his way.
I used to build and fix pc's in a past job, so I know the basics, but the specs for the machines have changed beyond belief since then and so have the costs!

He's looking at playing the usual suspects, with the best graphics possible (!) PUBG, Rainbow 6 Siege and Forza to name a few, He's used to playing on a PS4 with an Acer gaming monitor, and Red Dead Redemption looks brilliant on it, so he's hoping to improve on that.
My question is, will the following work together (baring in mind the very fixed £800 budget)?

AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 2600 3.90GHz (Socket AM4) Processor £149.99*

Gigabyte B450-I AORUS PRO WIFI (Socket AM4) Mini-ITX Motherboard £115.99*

Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit -£62.99*

TeamGroup 120GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive £25.99*

Seagate 1TB BarraCuda 7200rpm 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (ST1000DM010 Previously ST1000DM003) £38.99*

PowerColor Radeon RX 590 Red Devil 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £269.99*

Kolink KL-600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply £46.99*

Kolink Horizon Midi Tower RGB Gaming Case - Black Tempered Glass £72.95*

On Paper this will be a much better spec than the one he's returning and I'll stump the extra £100 for Windows 10

Many thanks for reading, hope it's not been too long winded!

Associate
For around £800, this is a better PC

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Gaming Citizen Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 5 2600, RX 590 8GB Graphics ***THREE FREE GAMES*** = £795.95
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD48G3000
    • Graphics Card:*Build Stock* Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 56 Gaming OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Solid State Drive (optional):TeamGroup 240GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Security Software:Unwanted
Total: £810.05 (includes shipping: £14.10)

8GB RAM isn't ideal, but for this budget it's either 8gb + SSD or 16gb + no SSD.

And in gaming there isn't a huge uplift with 16gb in most games

Associate
I was trawling the Internet looking at the black Friday sales and tbh I wasn't impressed.

Barely a bargain to be had, just stuff sold at close to retail but shown as "on sale".

I agree with the cost of components going through the roof. I got a custom built pc in 2004 top spec cost £700 I could play any game on high settings. Now you are more than that for a high end graphics card. Money doesn't go far if you want a decent system anymore.

Associate
For around £800, this is a better PC

• 1 x OcUK Gaming Citizen Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 5 2600, RX 590 8GB Graphics ***THREE FREE GAMES*** = £795.95
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD48G3000
    • Graphics Card:*Build Stock* Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 56 Gaming OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Solid State Drive (optional):TeamGroup 240GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Security Software:Unwanted
Total: £810.05 (includes shipping: £14.10)

8GB RAM isn't ideal, but for this budget it's either 8gb + SSD or 16gb + no SSD.

And in gaming there isn't a huge uplift with 16gb in most games

Wouldn't it make more sense to get 16gb + no ssd since 8gb of ram will be a fair bit more costly than a 240gb ssd?

Associate
Wouldn't it make more sense to get 16gb + no ssd since 8gb of ram will be a fair bit more costly than a 240gb ssd?
For this build, adding the 16gb ram goes even further above budget. And as shown in the video I linked above, there often isn't a huge gain with 16gb in games. And as the op's son will be mostly gaming, I don't think it will matter so much.

Total: £840.06 (includes shipping: £14.10)

The op could even sell the 3 games that you get free with the pc for ~£80, to get within budget/under​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
First question is a very good one and the answer is I didn't notice it was ITX! eyes have got very tired this evening looking online at all the various configurations...
Your basket looks promising...I appreciate that you most likely don't work for OC, but you may have an idea as to if the following is possible?
The problem of having it built for me is the timescale, we are likely not to get it until next week, which was why I'm considering building it myself, plus the case needs to be different (don't ask why!)
Do you think OC can supply the parts separately assuming they are all in stock?
Cheers

Associate
OP
and I've just watched the video and my eyes say that the smoke and water look better on the 8GB side! Though I notice that the CPU and GPU aren't working so hard on the 16GB side.....

Associate
You can get Windows 10 for a lot less than £100 to make a saving. Just search around and £20/£25 is achievable. You just need a USB and a key.

I would sacrifice your case for a better PSU and 16GB of RAM. The RX590 or RX56 will be very reliant on a good PSU.

Those 3 changes should make your budget achievable with the desktop above.

Associate
You can get Windows 10 for a lot less than £100 to make a saving. Just search around and £20/£25 is achievable. You just need a USB and a key.

I would sacrifice your case for a better PSU and 16GB of RAM. The RX590 or RX56 will be very reliant on a good PSU.

Those 3 changes should make your budget achievable with the desktop above.

Agree a good PSU is essential, 550W minimum 650W preferred and at least semi-modular as it makes installation easier and many good offers still available. Sage advice for Windows, just make sure you follow the instructions that come with the offer as their resold OEM keys and installation must be done in a certain way.

Associate
Associate
OP
Many thanks for the great suggestions, plenty to pick and choose from...with regard to Windows 10 and the OEM key, is this a grey area regarding genuine Microsoft approval?
I don't mind searching for it but just want to be cautious
Cheers
Alla

Associate
and I'll stump the extra £100 for Windows 10

I paid £3.99 for mine on that auction site. Legit too. I thought it was too good to be true. Download the OS onto a USB flash drive from the Microsoft site and you're good to go. Fastest OS install ever. Went to make myself a cuppa and it was finished by the time I came back :D

By the way you can pick up an ASRock B450 motherboard for less than £65.

Actually... My latest upgrade (in my sig) cost less than £700. Only component kept from previous system is the case.

Soldato
You need @orbitalwalsh to spec you an amazing build for 800. he is spec master

@southernorth nailed it pretty much on the head ! 3 free games and OCUK 3 year support !

dont think i could spec one cheaper for them to build , specially when you cna grba a 144hz 1080p for £170 or 1440p 75hz £199 freesync monitors

you could get ocuk to build the below for £50-80 but would have to buy a windows Key

Total: £709.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

as you can see, itx and custom cant match the deal on the ATX pre-built.

difference between rx580 and vega 56 is big , specially at 1440p

do system South linked . hands down - as well as OCUK support, also have Gigabyte rep. say if an RMA is taking longer then 14 days, they'd act to track it down and get it back to OCUK

Associate
@southernorth nailed it pretty much on the head ! 3 free games and OCUK 3 year support !

dont think i could spec one cheaper for them to build , specially when you cna grba a 144hz 1080p for £170 or 1440p 75hz £199 freesync monitors

you could get ocuk to build the below for £50-80 but would have to buy a windows Key

Total: £709.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

as you can see, itx and custom cant match the deal on the ATX pre-built.

difference between rx580 and vega 56 is big , specially at 1440p
ocuk deals are just too good :p

Soldato
and to back souths 8gb and SSD rather then 16GB and no SSD....

always always get an SSD, even just for OS. larger the better and can slap key games on there . Unlike SSD Sata 3 to nvme where there isn't to much real world performance to notice with gaming, over HDD there is a big jump . specially with sound! haha

Vega's 8GB of VRAM should mean system ram wouldn't be touched by not enough vram at least which will help. Gigabte also design their board for stronger support for 4 sticks then 2 stick of ram, so adding more in future should be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom