• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Solder TIM removal for 9th gen intel

Associate
I was browsing another forum and found a product by rockit cool called quicksilver for removing solder tim.

I had already heard of using liquid metal to possibly remove the solder tim without damaging the silicon but this stuff seems purpose made.

They have a post called 'How to remove the solder from 9th gen cpus' which shows step by step how the quicksilver works and I've got to say it looks simple and impressive. It dissolves the solder leaving the silicon unmarked.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

It looks like it would make using liquid metal on 9th gen cpus a breeze. I was thinking of trying it and combining it with an IHS with a larger surface area to reduce temps.

Permabanned
I was browsing another forum and found a product by rockit cool called quicksilver for removing solder tim.

I had already heard of using liquid metal to possibly remove the solder tim without damaging the silicon but this stuff seems purpose made.

They have a post called 'How to remove the solder from 9th gen cpus' which shows step by step how the quicksilver works and I've got to say it looks simple and impressive. It dissolves the solder leaving the silicon unmarked.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

It looks like it would make using liquid metal on 9th gen cpus a breeze. I was thinking of trying it and combining it with an IHS with a larger surface area to reduce temps.
dont think anyne here. In reality if one wants a delided cpu buying pre binned delided with warranty for extra 100 pounds is a GREAT DEAL. When You want to DIY then 50 quid for tool another 10 for tim and option of killing cpu and no warranty. Well... at prices of 9900k extra 40 quid on top of DIY option feels free. Especially it's alrd binned for guaranteed 5ghz.

Associate
OP
dont think anyne here. In reality if one wants a delided cpu buying pre binned delided with warranty for extra 100 pounds is a GREAT DEAL. When You want to DIY then 50 quid for tool another 10 for tim and option of killing cpu and no warranty. Well... at prices of 9900k extra 40 quid on top of DIY option feels free. Especially it's alrd binned for guaranteed 5ghz.
I understand what you are saying, but for many that already own the CPU it is now too late to buy a pre delidded version.

I wasn't looking at delidding myself, but seeing how easy it is to dissolve the solder and replace it with liquid metal, i'm now reconsidering.

Permabanned
I understand what you are saying, but for many that already own the CPU it is now too late to buy a pre delidded version.

I wasn't looking at delidding myself, but seeing how easy it is to dissolve the solder and replace it with liquid metal, i'm now reconsidering.
well i always take KILLING hardware in to price option. Especially after I killed 2 hour old 7970 when i slid screwdriver on stobburn screw takng cooler off to put waterblock on. Took 1 second to kill over 300 quid...

Associate
well i always take KILLING hardware in to price option. Especially after I killed 2 hour old 7970 when i slid screwdriver on stobburn screw takng cooler off to put waterblock on. Took 1 second to kill over 300 quid...
Good job... :eek:

Associate
OP
I love that this is where we are now with Intel. People having to delid SOLDERED chips.

WTF.

It isn't a need. I'm asking if anyone has used the above product that makes removing the solder easy.

I'm not saying delidding is necessary.

Imo having a safer alternative to scraping away solder with a blade is a good thing for those that want to delid.

It would be nice to hear from anyone that has used this or similar to find out if it is as straightforward as it is advertised to be.

Soldato
It isn't a need. I'm asking if anyone has used the above product that makes removing the solder easy.

I'm not saying delidding is necessary.

Imo having a safer alternative to scraping away solder with a blade is a good thing for those that want to delid.

It would be nice to hear from anyone that has used this or similar to find out if it is as straightforward as it is advertised to be.
It's crazy you are in a position where it is worth doing at all is my point. How many people are delidding Ryzen?

Associate
OP
It's crazy you are in a position where it is worth doing at all is my point. How many people are delidding Ryzen?

4-9 degree temp drop. Is it worth it to most?

I highly doubt it.

I think i have a decent CPU which i plan to keep for as long as possible. My PC is very important to me and I've got a very good cooling setup. Given my situation that 4-9 degree drop may be worth it in the long run. Then again this may be something i do in a year or perhaps a couple to get the last few mhz out of my cpu.

On top if that I am interested in delidding purely for the hobby aspect of it. I am enjoying building my pc, and replacing the TIM on the cpu is just an extension of that.

I would not use this forum or my situation as an indicator of trends for the average user. I would expect the vast majority of 9900k owners are running their CPUs with STIM intact, whether they oc or not.

Soldato
I thought one of the "BIG" things about the new 9X00 was that they were soldered unlike the older 8X00 that were only pasted. People are trying to delid a soldered CPU? Mental.

Soldato
I thought one of the "BIG" things about the new 9X00 was that they were soldered unlike the older 8X00 that were only pasted. People are trying to delid a soldered CPU? Mental.
Thats my point. Not having a go at the OP, I'm having a go at Intel.
Yes they soldered them. But they still run so damn hot and the soldering job is so poor that its worth people delidding them. Beggars belief.

Soldato
Wonder if you can reflow the solder on them? Flip it metal side down on a hot plate and reflow it. I guess conduction would cook the CPU doing that though. (or not if the solder is that bad lol)

Soldato
Thats my point. Not having a go at the OP, I'm having a go at Intel.
Yes they soldered them. But they still run so damn hot and the soldering job is so poor that its worth people delidding them. Beggars belief.

Rubbish tbh, this all stems from a few press samples that were not very good and there will will be a few in retail. Mine for example under water at 5.1ghz running normal stuff and playing BF5 etc runs 65-70c. What's wrong with that. These are great Cpu's.

Soldato
Rubbish tbh, this all stems from a few press samples that were not very good and there will will be a few in retail. Mine for example under water at 5.1ghz running normal stuff and playing BF5 etc runs 65-70c. What's wrong with that. These are great Cpu's.
Whats wrong with that?
Well for a start, 70 degrees in a game, under water...! Is not great at ALL. I bet you would throttle in real workloads if you are getting 70 in BF5. And thats under water! So you have answered your own statement.

I'm in the low 50's on heavily overclocked Haswell underwater. 70 in games is not good lol.

Soldato
Whats wrong with that?
Well for a start, 70 degrees in a game, under water...! Is not great at ALL. I bet you would throttle in real workloads if you are getting 70 in BF5. And thats under water! So you have answered your own statement.

I'm in the low 50's on heavily overclocked Haswell underwater. 70 in games is not good lol.

My CPU gets to 70 while gaming while under water. I've got a 360+240 rad. But i only have 3 fans running. I prefer quiet. Just depends how you want to run your cooling.

Soldato
Samples I've used can all reach 5 to 5.2 with reasonable thermals without delidding (1.35v). If you're unsure, I honestly wouldn't bother. If you're willing to pay to make sure it's done right, then by all means.

Back
Top Bottom