CPU / Motherboard & RAM Upgrade Advice

Permabanned
Hi,

You have a 12-thread processor, yeah, old but still should be capable..... Is there any important reason why you want to upgrade now?

Soldato
as above ^^ what tasks would you be doing ? by the sounds of it its not just gaming ?
Overclock speeds would but but guessing now current 6 core 12 threads can land 5ghz all cores along with newer storage platforms

Soldato
agree with others, you would get a lot more performance foe your money if you waited for new AMD ryzen 3000 series in few months. If its possible to wait, i would wait.

Associate
I found that going from an x5650 to a 2700x was a pretty big uplift in gaming performance at 1080p, a lot more than I'd anticipated. My lows are nothing like now, where on pube-g I'd see the odd dip into the 60-80fps range (which doesn't sound bad, but on a 144hz screen when it's usually averaging 140-160fps it's really noticeable) with some extreme instances of hitting into the mid 40's. Since upgrading average fps is 180-200+ and not seen it go below 140fps. If you're gaming at 1440p then it might not be as much of an issue, but I think average and 1% lows will improve a load, but I think the frame times and consistency will also be where a gaming experience can be soured.

Associate
OP
My rig is mainly for gaming.
I am still on SATA2 etc - so contemplating the upgrade.
Others have said that my CPU/mobo will be bottlenecking my gfx card, will it be noticeable if I upgrade?

This rig that I built from scratch when it was 'cutting edge' has lasted me well.
I can wait, no issue there

Last edited:
Associate
9700k and run 5ghz plus or 2700x and run 4.3ghz if you can

I don't know what score both of those processors will get on a benchmark program, but coming from my heart and best interest for the op i would pick the 9700k and overclock it as high as he can, because i think games are now starting to use 6 cores you see and a 9700k at 5ghz vs the 2700 x at stock well i don't know but a 8700k at 5ghz scores the same in cinebench when pitted against a 2700 x at stock clock speeds you see, that is a 6 core processor vs an 8 core processor, so going with a intel 6 core processor is much better for games especially at 1080p.

But he can consider the amd route because of 4k gaming and i think we can all agree that it uses the gpu much more than the processor so yeah, he could get a 2700x and spend the saved money over a 9700k on a faster gpu because as far as i know it is like a 1 to 2 fps difference as roughly as i can remember..

edit

As i can see you have a 1080ti, so no real need to upgrade from that yet.

Dan.

Last edited:
Soldato
Benchmark are good if it's a benchmark that matches the same workloads you do or game etc .

40 core ryzen can be mashed apart by 18 core intel clocked to 4.8ghz all cores in certain programs and vise versa with a CPU with more cores and half the speed .
Gaming it's intel, but if you need a monitor or full set up, it's damn hard to ignore and not strongly consider ryzen system. Such good value .

Honestly hope they increase Zen2 performance . They need to increase profits to match volume shipment, and intel are giving them a good £100 to play with in price increase

Back
Top Bottom