hdmi audio from sli gfx card to receiver problems! windows 10

Associate
I thought i would hook my pc up to my receiver sony strdg820 so i can have proper surround and quality audio.

I'm using a sli set up with the top card using display port to my monitor and on same card using the hdmi port to carry audio to my receiver.

It works watching films playing music etc... But I'ts causing me problems in gaming,I noticed It's causing games to hang on loading screens,messing with game resolutions when I try to set my screen resolution on some games it would crash the games.

in the nvidia sli settings,it shows the receiver under physX, and in nvidia resolution settings the receiver shows as a display with a load of resolutions and shows it supports 60Hz.

I removed my pc from my receiver and just used audio through monitor and all the problems disappeared.

What could be causing me issues with my receiver and gaming??

Soldato
One possible way around this, could be to connect the AVR to the HDMI on your motherboard, and use that connection for the audio. I'm sure I've seen someone post a while back that's how he has his setup.

This type of thread has popped up quite a few times over the years, and at least prior to Windows 10, the problem seemed to be that Windows saw the AVR as a second display, which often screwed around with the performance on the main display when playing games. I guess this is still happening (if the OP is anything to go by), but back then, often you could only use the GPU, and any onboard GPU was disabled.

Associate
OP
One possible way around this, could be to connect the AVR to the HDMI on your motherboard, and use that connection for the audio. I'm sure I've seen someone post a while back that's how he has his setup.

This type of thread has popped up quite a few times over the years, and at least prior to Windows 10, the problem seemed to be that Windows saw the AVR as a second display, which often screwed around with the performance on the main display when playing games. I guess this is still happening (if the OP is anything to go by), but back then, often you could only use the GPU, and any onboard GPU was disabled.

tried that first time round,it only gives me 2 channel audio then ,like you say windows sees my receiver as a second display,that must be causing the issue then!

Soldato
Problem with threads like these, is you really need input from people that have been there and done it. If such people don't frequent this section that often, then they don't see the thread...

Could post it in the home cinema section as well. Might get more luck there, with some people also using their AV kit for gaming duties as well.

Soldato
I use a largely similar setup to you by the sounds of it. Triple 1080Ti's (though works fine with plenty of other combo's I had 1080's Titan X's etc) though two are set to SLI with third set to Physx (or SLI disabled altogether) and the top GPU which also outputs to my monitor running a HDMI to my AV Receiver. so my Nvidia control panel appears as so:

0koRYMA.png

I would first wonder, are you getting any issues with just a single GPU? How do things appear in Nvidia control panel for you? What do you mean it shows the received under PhysX? Similarly do you have some games your having problems with, I can have a peek myself as it could be I have just not played games you have (though I do have most bigger ones in my library)

Lastly, how is your desktop set up, extended, duplicate, mirror etc. I find things only work properly 100% when set to extend desktop, so in effect the AV receiver will be a phantom monitor with its own resolution.

Associate
OP
no issues with single gpu,I have to enable sony amp under multiple displays in nvidia settings so i can set the 5.1 audio,if I don't enable the avamp I cant get any audio to work.

I don't understand how you mean desktop set up,how would I find out how mine is set up?

Soldato
I mean in reference to how is the multiple display option set up in display section under settings. Would double check there the option is showing as Extend these displays rather then Duplicate.

Associate
OP
I mean in reference to how is the multiple display option set up in display section under settings. Would double check there the option is showing as Extend these displays rather then Duplicate.

I tried with extend displays with display settings in windows,but it messes with my desktop apps some of them disappear and it splits them up as well..strange..But it will work to have audio in games from receiver but with a messed up desktop.

I tried with duplicate displays but it locks my frame rate to 60Hz,It even shows it saying 60Hz in advanced display settings,tested minecraft just as a quick test and it does lock the frame rate to 60Hz when using duplicate displays,I am using a g sync monitor usually have about 165 frames in minecraft

Soldato
I tried with extend displays with display settings in windows,but it messes with my desktop apps some of them disappear and it splits them up as well..strange..But it will work to have audio in games from receiver but with a messed up desktop.

I tried with duplicate displays but it locks my frame rate to 60Hz,It even shows it saying 60Hz in advanced display settings,tested minecraft just as a quick test and it does lock the frame rate to 60Hz when using duplicate displays,I am using a g sync monitor usually have about 165 frames in minecraft

In regards to extend, yes I get that initially when setting it up now and then. Normally a reset of the system and / or toggling the primary monitor between the AV receiver and your main monitor does the trick for me. After that it works fine every time unless I change something

Associate
OP
I am using only one monitor,my hdmi is straight from my graphics card into video1 on my receiver, but if I use hdmi from monitor to hdmi out on receiver then video1 back to graphics card then I can only have 2 channel audio because of my monitor,I tried adding ps4 through this monitor and had same issue on that,could only use 2 channel audio,the option to pick 5.1 doesn't appear.

Soldato
I am using only one monitor,my hdmi is straight from my graphics card into video1 on my receiver, but if I use hdmi from monitor to hdmi out on receiver then video1 back to graphics card then I can only have 2 channel audio because of my monitor,I tried adding ps4 through this monitor and had same issue on that,could only use 2 channel audio,the option to pick 5.1 doesn't appear.

No, what I mean is the AV receiver is treated as a Phantom monitor which you can select as an option right? its why your icons and what have you seem to split up on your desktop. So all I do it select my AV receiver as my primary monitor for a second or so, then go back and select my only monitor as my primary monitor. That for me seems to solve the issue of any desktop icon's moving over to the phantom monitor representing the AV receiver.

I do not use the last method, only your former method. DP cable from my top GPU into my monitor. Then a HDMI cable from same GPU into my AV receiver in HDMI port. Works perfect and get 5.1 showing fine along with all the options. Best of luck either way!

Back
Top Bottom