Christmas Present for Little Bro :)

Associate
Hi all,

My little brother does aeronautical engineering at uni and does a bit of CFD which is quite CPU intensive. He's asked for a new PC for Christmas.

Looking around it seems like for CPU intensive workloads the Ryzen 2700X seems to be the general recommendation!

I was thinking about the following:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £731.51 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

But thought i'd run it past the community first! Do you guys think this will cut the mustard? I notice the motherboard in that bundle is the X370 chipset - is it worth spending more money to get an X470?

He already has a graphics card in his current PC that he can use so I haven't specced one in, but I figured a 600W PSU should give sufficient overhead to upgrade to something like a GTX 1060 in future?

Thanks!

Soldato
GTX 1060 is a midrange going with minimal power consumption - a decent 600W PSU will easily feed a 1079 or 1070 Ti so that's a decent choice whatever happens in future.

It's worth checking whether the software he uses responds well to multithreaded CPUs or high clock speeds better. If it's single threaded software then he may be better off with a high-clocked i5, but it's all in the margins. He'll be dead pleased with the Ryzen for any purpose though!

Back
Top Bottom