Massive fire at Chester Zoo :(

Soldato
This afternoon the Monsoon biodome at Chester Zoo caught fire and burned down. The area housed various Crocodiles, Hornbills, Sumatran Orangutans and various tropical plant species. :( The fire seems to be under control now, and no human casualties reported, but it seems highly unlikely many if any animals would have been evacuated in time given the situation.

RSS feed, thanks for the info, etc. But the real reason I was prompted to post? Twitter is alight (pardon the pun) with people asking whether they can still use their tickets to the lantern show tonight, or moaning about the Zoo in general (one of the best, it has to be said). WTH is wrong with people? A sad situation indeed.

Caporegime
That's a shame. Poor animals. Glad no one was hurt.

Yeah, people are self-centered ********, it's 2018, its the way it is these days. People can say what the hell they want over a screen with zero self-control and not much real recourse.

Its good and bad! :p

Caporegime
In a country that breeds both dogs (and foxes) to brutally murder the foxes as a "sport", i'm not sure there's any expectation of care in this country for animals.

Last edited:
Soldato
More from a local reporter on the scene here: https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/live-chester-zoo-fire-updates-15555631

The building that caught fire is home to Orangutans, Gibbons, Macaques, Caymans, Tortoise and a lot of free flight tropical birds. All animals are accounted for and apparently safe. Some of the birds presumably could have got out through the hole burned in the roof, however living 7 miles from the zoo I can confirm its bloody cold outside so I guess the birds didn't like the thought of that and hunkered down somewhere sheltered.

Local speculation the cause was electrical, nothing confirmed I've seen.

EDIT: Mammals accounted for, others still being checked. Report I read earlier must have jumped the gun.

Last edited:
Soldato
In a country that breeds both dogs and foxes to brutally murder the foxes as a "sport", i'm not sure there's any expectation of care in this country for animals.

A zoo is a glorified prison for innocent animals to be incarcerated where the main purpose is so the inmates can entertain humans on a day out :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

A zoo is a glorified prison for innocent animals to be incarcerated where the main purpose is so the inmates can entertain humans on a day out :D

Chester Zoo is very entertaining though.

We usually go there on xmas eve, shame this exhibit wont be open as we really enjoyed it last time.

Associate

:rolleyes:

While I agree there are good zoos and bad zoo, Chester Zoo can easily be classed as one of the good ones, if not one of the best.

If you're against animals in captivaty there's not going to be any point in reading what I have to say.

Conservation, research and education being the main three reasons it needs to exist.

I'd be happier if your someone who doesn't use any palm oil that's not from fully sustaibale source. Eat meat, keep a pet and so on.

Caporegime
You can't conserve such a tiny population like that, it's not possible, you need safari's minimum for mildly natural habitats. The best we can do is just preserve the DNA (if only for study purposes) and let them die out for being unable to evolve quickly enough to humanity.

We can then pay the price of that folly.

Soldato
More from a local reporter on the scene here: https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/live-chester-zoo-fire-updates-15555631

The building that caught fire is home to Orangutans, Gibbons, Macaques, Caymans, Tortoise and a lot of free flight tropical birds. All animals are accounted for and apparently safe. Some of the birds presumably could have got out through the hole burned in the roof, however living 7 miles from the zoo I can confirm its bloody cold outside so I guess the birds didn't like the thought of that and hunkered down somewhere sheltered.

Local speculation the cause was electrical, nothing confirmed I've seen.

EDIT: Mammals accounted for, others still being checked. Report I read earlier must have jumped the gun.

Thank Goodness (and the firefighters and staff!) for that. This was pretty upsetting. I'm glad they're safe.

Soldato
You can't conserve such a tiny population like that, it's not possible, you need safari's minimum for mildly natural habitats.

Zoos successfully breed endangered animals in captivity and have played a vital role in much conservation. They also do amazing work in bringing the plight of endangered animals to the public's attention which we have to do to keep funding for conservation efforts. Gerald Durrel's zoo was a pioneer in using zoos for such purposes and today many zoos follow suit

The best we can do is just preserve the DNA (if only for study purposes) and let them die out for being unable to evolve quickly enough to humanity.

Having seen so many of your posts here, you seem a deeply negative person to be around. Mostly you just wail doom and despair and dislike. Someone asked you if you actively avoid products that harm the natural environment? Do you? I do. You complain about fox hunting. Have you ever marched for animal rights or put your own money towards combating blood sports like these or poaching of endangered species (as a member of IFAW I've done both). Helped fund conservation efforts for British wildlife preserves? Do you even know what natural preserves there are in your area? Do you know much about the zoos you criticise, ever heard of or followed the Durrel Wildlife Conservation Trust before I just mentioned it now or followed any of their campaigns?

Or do you just sit on your arse and make snide remarks about how there's no point in any of this on the Internet? Because I'm betting the latter. You pretend to care but advocate doing nothing and do nothing. People who care do things. Those who do nothing other than condemn other people, don't actually care.

Do you think anybody would care to preserve YOUR DNA for when you're gone? I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom