Christmas Over Already?

Man of Honour
When I was at school (walking uphill 5 miles both ways, etc), I was highly amused in my Latin classes to read Romans from ~2000 years ago making most of the same complaints about Saturnalia season as are being made today about Christmas. It's a human thing.

My "Christmas" isn't over. I have really pushed the boat out and have 3 bottles of beer. About 2 pints! I have two consecutive days off, so that's me sorted. I shall play games and read books and have a fine time.

Io Saturnalia!

Permabanned
Christmas for me is literally repulsive.

I am:-

1) Anti-Chinese Commerce
2) For reducing environmental damage
3) Anti-consumerist
4) Anti-Theist

So for me, seeing reams of low intelligence beings, scurrying around, falling over themselves to buy cheap, Chinese mass produced tat, then throw half of it away in terms of wrapping, old trees, cards, food, etc etc, I find the entire thing quite revolting in some ways. I know, I know what a knob blah blah, but Parents are teaching kids totally the wrong things, its awful to watch.

It is so pathetically over-hyped, and over done, that I am quite sure it leaves anyone who hasnt quite had the "perfect" Christmas, feeling quite miserable.

I just ignore it now, I am almost embarrassed for the guys I see flying around last minute getting presents for their wives/GF/Mothers etc. Either get it in time, or don't bother and do something nice for them instead. Its cringeworthy.

Associate
My first job was stacking shelves Woolworths. I remember setting the boxing day sales on Christmas Eve one year so they would be ready for 9am boxing day. My job was to set up the Easter egg isle!!

Soldato
OP
We didn't put any decorations up until the 16th and the big tree in the front room doesn't go up until Christmas Eve and the presents magically appear. I quite enjoy leaving the main tree late, I've finished work for a week, drink lots of wine and the kids help it feels like Christmas really begins.

Soldato
I think it depends on what holidays you get. More places are open longer now.
I’ve never had a job that has the 2 weeks off so doesn’t really bother me

Soldato
Well for me Christmas is ruined by having kids. Its great to have Christmas for them but as far as Christmas now goes for me personally its over and my Christmases going forward will be for the kids.

Its not a bad thing its just the way it is when you are a parent. Its about making sure you can fit in all the visits and that you are able to afford everything. It turns it all into a bit of a ball ache. You say year after year "we are staying home next year" but it never happens.

My wifes family are very "see each other and give lots of gifts focused" where as mine are more of a relaxed, come round for drinks and food but no pressure to bring gifts. The gifts side of things always wins out as you are seen as selfish or a spoil sport if you dont get involved.

Soldato
It’s just two days off for me. Tbh. Then back to work. Gone are the days when I used to get a 2 week break over Xmas.

Not that I’m bothered. :p

Soldato
3 or 4 weeks ago I went into my local B&Q and they had tons of Christmas stuff

Took my 10 year old niece in on Saturday 15th to buy a new Christmas tree and about 90% of the Christmas stuff was all gone and other stuff has been put in it place...:(

Man of Honour
I think it depends on what holidays you get. More places are open longer now.
I’ve never had a job that has the 2 weeks off so doesn’t really bother me

My first few jobs was atleast 2 weeks over Christmas and a proper atmosphere building upto breaking up - I do miss that.

Soldato
Retail is getting hammered at the moment in terms of sales (or lack of), footfall is down year on year, profits are down, they simply can't afford to have left over stock at that gets discounted. How many have gone bust this year?

I can see why many have played it safe, especially with whats round the corner.

Man of Honour
I was sick and fed up with Christmas by mid November. Shops here started pushing Christmas decorations, wrapping paper, cards, gift boxes etc in early September and playing Christmas music instore in November. Christmas and other holidays such as Easter etc are just too commercial these days and you get it rammed down your throat everywhere you go.

It's not going to be much of a Christmas for us anyway. We have a funeral to go to on the 27th as my wifes cousin had a massive heart attack last week and on top of that I was told at the weekend that my auntie has cancer in both lungs that is not operable. She has declined treatment and has basically just given up. So Christmas is a non event for us this year.

Soldato
Thankgod.
Christmas is a stupid time of the year, people go mad over something imaginary, while business make a killing from parents who are willing to pay a fortune for tat that will be forgotten about in 5min.

How about being kind to your family year round? or is that too much to ask?

Back
Top Bottom