What's in your slow cooker today?

Soldato
There's not much of a recipe to be honest with you....It was "put steaks in a bag and then cook at 56C for a few hours" :p

The old "chinese pork butt" recipe I posted on here a while ago would work very well in a slow cooker though I think:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18381192

No pictures of your butt :(

Anyone made a curry in one? You still leave it for 7 hrs or so?

I made a beef rendang. I was nice, but it had a very strong beef stew flavour, almost similar to a fragrant goulash. I prefer the rendang made with a better cut of beef, and cooked much more quickly.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I've seriously neglected this thread, so I thought I'd give it a bit of a revival now that Winter is coming and slow-cookers come into their own during the cold season!

So today I've got a greek lamb recipe slow-cooking away. We cooked it in the oven a few weeks ago and it was amazing, so I thought I'd give it a go in the slow cooker as it makes things even simpler.

So anyway, here's the recipe:

Greek lamb with Orzo:

1kg boned shoulder of lamb, diced (I used 800g leg today)
2 onions, sliced
1 tbsp fresh oregano (1 tsp if using dried)
2 cinnamon sticks snapped in half
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cumin
Olive oil
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 pints of stock (chicken or vegetable)
Around 400g orzo

I fried the onions in olive oil, then added the lamb and dried oregano (along with mixed herbs, I really like the flavour dimension they bring). I browned the lamb ever so slightly, then added the chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. I also added some tomato purée to bring a bit more flavour to the dish. Then I added the stock, and moved my slow cooker pot to the slow cooker base, set the timer for 8 hours on low and put the lid on. About 30 minutes before I'm ready to eat, I'll add the orzo. By this time the slow cooker will probably be set to warm so I'll just stir in the orzo and put the lid back on, set the timer for another 30 minutes and then wait :)

I normally serve it with some creme fraiche on the side. It's an amazing autumn and winter dish! Apparently grated parmesan works well too but I don't tend to keep this in so I stick with the creme fraiche :)

Thread necro! Got this in again for dinner tonight, always delicious.

Soldato
A regular family dinner is small-ish cheap beef joint, a couple of large chopped carrots, a quartered onion or two, bottle of IPA, pint of oxo beef stock, and leave it for 5 + hours. Add a bit of bisto to the fluid to serve as gravy. Usually with roast potatoes or mash, plus veg. Not especially clever, but it's certainly satisfying.

Associate
A regular family dinner is small-ish cheap beef joint, a couple of large chopped carrots, a quartered onion or two, bottle of IPA, pint of oxo beef stock, and leave it for 5 + hours. Add a bit of bisto to the fluid to serve as gravy. Usually with roast potatoes or mash, plus veg. Not especially clever, but it's certainly satisfying.
How much of the IPA comes through in the final result? I like the idea of it but I don't like hoppy IPA type beers. Maybe sub out for a stout...

Soldato
How much of the IPA comes through in the final result? I like the idea of it but I don't like hoppy IPA type beers. Maybe sub out for a stout...
I played around with various beers, including Guinness, but settled on IPA as I liked the hoppy taste that came through (not as strongly as when you drink it, but detectable) . But the others were good too: no problem to substitute any stout or ale.

As with any such joint, best to sear the joint off first. I salt it before going in the pan too. And chop the carrots chunky: they're one of the best bits at the end :)

Associate
I played around with various beers, including Guinness, but settled on IPA as I liked the hoppy taste that came through (not as strongly as when you drink it, but detectable) . But the others were good too: no problem to substitute any stout or ale.

As with any such joint, best to sear the joint off first. I salt it before going in the pan too. And chop the carrots chunky: they're one of the best bits at the end :)
Yum, sounds like dinner next week is sorted. Will report back.

Associate
Enjoy :)

(try and get a fairly fatty joint of beef, though: otherwise it can be a bit dry - which isn't disastrous , but it's just not optimum)

Yeah it seems super important to find as fatty a piece of meat as you can for these long cooks.

So the lamb turned out a bit dry which was a disappointment. Dry, very tender and a bit mealy. Definitely overcooked a bit which I wasn't expecting. Was on for 12h on low. 1kg half shoulder. Oh well, at least the sauce is very tasty, having taken all the lamb juices out :p

Associate
Beef stew has been made and eaten and shall definitely be made again:
1 bottle of Guiness Stout
800g of brisket
Stock
Tomatoes
'erbs
Tomato paste
2 bay leaves
tons of garlic
2 onions and 2 carrots, sliced 'rustically' ;)

Also made a beef shin chilli which was kind of a combination of a few recipes in this thread but it still just isn't as flavoursome as on the stove or in the oven. Chilli in the slow cooker is something I just haven't managed to get just right yet, it's always a bit meh and bland or runny. Going to give it another try one day but this time fry the beef with some flour.

Back
Top Bottom