30th century my home

i'll be purchasing my first home in november and looking to tech it up as soon as money allows. this will prob be a couple years before we're able to get settled and save enough to spend on things, but i'm looking to have a plan of where we want to go, what systems to use etc so that everything is best connected.

i'd love the idea of the following and open to suggestions:

• keyless front door entry (standard pvc style door) with either an app or fingerprint (assuming fringerprint entry is even a thing).
  • doorbell with camera that goes through your phone/home tablet,
  • phone control of lights,
  • heating,
  • potentially external light control
  • and finally security alarm and cams system.

all tech we own is pretty much google devices, so android phones, google home devices etc, so not sure if that will make a difference if it's best to keep it as much google as possible or if for instance heating can be controlled by google home even if it's not a google product? same with doorbells etc.

as much as possible i'd like to avoid having 10 different apps to control each different part of the house.

at work we use lightwavef, which was fine 5 years ago, but now feels pretty dated as it's just the box you plug anything into, and also you don't get feedback to know whether something is on or not. that's not very user friendly to me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
there is so much competition and the tech will advance so much in a few years that you are better off asking nearer the time.

keyless entry - yale provide this and it works with nest
doorbell with cam - nest or ring (owned by amazon)
smart lights - LIFX (works with nest), hue, literally hundreds of choices, ikea even do this now.
heating - nest
alarm - yale have smart version, nest also are bringing out their own version
cams - again literally thousands of choices to be made depending on subscription to cloud, local SD cards or local server or local NVR. you could have a 100 page thread just on security cams. again nest do them as do ring but their subs are really expensive.

Soldato
OP
thanks for that. i appreciate as time progresses new tech comes out, but i'm hoping to best avoid buying into a system that isn't future proof. lightwave rf for instance i could chuck in the bin and start again, wasting a good £250 with the router link, power device, bulbs etc, as the interface not giving any feedback as to the current state of the device is, to me, silly. i want to be able to know if lights are left on, and change their current state, what the current temp is set to on the thermostat etc.

i'm hoping to purchase bits not, and add along the way. would you say google home/hub is a good base product that then controls the devices you purchase as and when you get them?

do amazon products talk to google ones?

Soldato
By the 30th century perhaps a front door key might be all the tech you need along with a paraffin lamp and camping stove. ;) Do you mean 2030 or 3018

Associate
Alarm my friend has Somfy protect, you put sensors on all your windows & doors which can detect entry/attempted entry (So someone ramming it will set it off) - You then carry a thob on your keychain that disarms the alarm automagically when you walk into the house. It's kinda cool as you can then use IFTTT then do a bunch of other stuff based on it.

Tho I did find it creepy when catsitting for him that he got alerts on his phone saying I was there!

Soldato
Don't bother thinking about it at the moment imo - wait until you are in position to do it, the technology moves quite quickly with this stuff at the consumer end.
(If it was me I wouldn't bother with any front door/door bell stuff, you introduce a remote locking system and eventually someone is going to find the easy way to rob you.)

Soldato
OP
ok so we're in the position to get the ball rolling now.

We've currently got a google mini in the house, but will look to add a home and another mini in the future.

our first automation will be to change our lamps and lights. I've seen LIFX do good LED multi coloured bulbs that don't require a hub and seem an ok price. We'd look to get 6 of these or so. Interested if that's any other suggestions? our requirements being multicoloured (though only 3 actually we'd likely ever change colour), controlled from google home via the home app, and via our google home mini.

I assume having say a motion sensor turn on a smart bulb is not something the smart bulb needs to be able to do, but say a hub of some sort?

second step would be to change to a nest thermostat. Does anyone know if a thermostat can be installed in another room without the need to reconnect the thermostat cables directly to it? Our thermostat is currently installed in the kitchen. The coldest room of the house with no heating and it's right down a corner so not the great spot. We'd prefer the controller to be in the lounge, but would be getting someone to rewire. Am hoping that it's possible that Nest could be powered in one room but have a device that plugs into the old thermostat cable to send the data? probably not likely but thought worth checking.

The next steps, though not for a while, would be nest doorbell and cameras, and motion sensors that will turn on certain lights if the time is late enough etc.

Soldato
Amazon have a deal on LIFX bulbs at the moment, but when i looked they're no cheaper than Hue ones and i think i'd prefer Hue just due to the wide range of motion sensors etc. Especially when the deals kick in (starter kits for £80/3 for 2 etc)

Soldato
Does anyone know if a thermostat can be installed in another room without the need to reconnect the thermostat cables directly to it? Our thermostat is currently installed in the kitchen. The coldest room of the house with no heating and it's right down a corner so not the great spot. We'd prefer the controller to be in the lounge, but would be getting someone to rewire. Am hoping that it's possible that Nest could be powered in one room but have a device that plugs into the old thermostat cable to send the data? probably not likely but thought worth checking.

Nest has a hub (heat link) and the thermostat itself.

The heat link connects to the boiler with wires and connects to the thermostat wirelessly over the network. This could go where your existing thermostat is, or you could wire it in with new wires to the boiler and hide it away. I don't think you'd want it on display.

The thermostat is powered by micro usb and can be wall mounted, stand mounted (sold separately) or i guess just left lying on the side if you wanted lol.

I have my heating zoned, and my heat links are next to my boiler in the garage and each connects to the thermostats in the house :)

Associate
I am really sorry to tell you but after doing HA (x10 and Comfort Alarms) for nearly 20 years the general consensus is that ‘future proofing’ does not exist and as technology gathers pace in this sector, it is never likely to. Even basic cable infrastructure has changed. cat5 —> Cat5e —> Cat 6 —> Cat 6a —> cat7
In the past 6 or 7 years
10baseT —> 100baseT —> 1000baseT etc . If you are interested in HA live for today and enjoy it.

Soldato
I would strongly recommend against keyless entry. It's the fastest way to steal a car, they're the fastest padlocks to break. There isn't a good precedent. It might not be the tech, rather that the companies can't be trusted to adequately construct it.

For now the "safest" thing to do is just make your house more effort than your neighbour's. I'm not going to open the "recommended eurocylinder" can of worms on this forum (buy a Mondeo, don't have a corner sofa, brick up all your windows); I just want to advise against keyless.

Associate
As a former Police Officer who has attended hundreds of burglaries I can unequivocally say that your average burglar is not smart enough to defeat a smart lock by hacking / picking it. What he will do is smash glazing panels, kick the door panels out, brute force the frame or if he is high-tech, snap your eurocylinder with a pair of mole grips. He isn’t Nathan Hunt and he doesn’t carry lock picks or lock picking guns.
That said I have not seen any TS007 certified smart locks and this is the standard that you should be looking for with external locks and door furniture. So for me, I won’t be using any until they meet the secure by design standard.

Soldato
As a former Police Officer who has attended hundreds of burglaries I can unequivocally say that your average burglar is not smart enough to defeat a smart lock by hacking / picking it. What he will do is smash glazing panels, kick the door panels out, brute force the frame or if he is high-tech, snap your eurocylinder with a pair of mole grips. He isn’t Nathan Hunt and he doesn’t carry lock picks or lock picking guns.
That said I have not seen any TS007 certified smart locks and this is the standard that you should be looking for with external locks and door furniture. So for me, I won’t be using any until they meet the secure by design standard.

That's all well and good but we have plenty of evidence to show how fast it is to steal a keyless car. It's also the fastest growing rate of car theft. Your experience is based upon a period where "smart locks" aren't common place, as they're only now starting to make a noticeable appearance on the market for homes. I also at no point alluded to anyone being a secret agent so please don't attempt to discredit me by making me look a conspiracy theorist fool. You can buy the necessary tools to steal keyless cars on eBay for a couple hundred quid. One signal booster, one signal replicator. You can open smart padlocks in seconds by shorting them or bypassing (which they all have because batteries). It's not hard.

It's also very simple to prevent someone snapping your eurocylinder with mole grips.

As with all things, as they become more common, they will become targeted.

Additionally buying a smart lock isn't going to prevent people doing all the things you mentioned re: door panels and the classic ocuk "windows" response.

I don't know what Yale have in store for their smart locks, I only stated that the precedent for smart locks in other sectors so far on a consumer level are total dog **** and its terrible advice to then advocate them to protect someone's home. I certainly can't in good conscience. Maybe you can, go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom