• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice on 2 x 5970

Associate
Hey guys,

so i got hold of 2 x 5970's today in a old water cooled rig. The motherboard was toast but i was interested in getting a 4th gaming PC in the house so nothing too fancy.
The issue is both have blocks on, i know they are old cards, is there anyway i can get some air cooling solution or as im thinking its just best to not bother with them ?
CGDKolT.jpg
MUh83N9.jpg
Thanks in advance !

Man of Honour
Save your money as they are not worth it.

I actually own a pair of HD5970s and there is very little I can use them on.

To put it in prospective the 5970s have 1gb of VRAM per GPU and the PC I am using to type this has 24gb of VRAM per GPU.

Don
Main issue is the vram limitation, as otherwise they are almost as fast as a geforce 1050 or Radeon rx560.

Drivers will be another issue, as support for anything older than the 7xxx series was dropped ages ago.

Replacement coolers will cost more than the cards are worth now, so worth just trying to move them on to someone building a "retro" gaming rig.

Soldato
Mount them on the wall as tech art - buy a vega 56 for your 4th PC if you fancy an AMD setup. Full disclosure I have always run at least 2 gaming machines, 1 AMD gpu and 1 nVidia it’s fun to play with the different platforms.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Water of time even if they was supported that's quad fire set up which wasn't the greatest even when new cool cards must have been some rig in its day

Man of Honour
Water of time even if they was supported that's quad fire set up which wasn't the greatest even when new cool cards must have been some rig in its day

Back in the day quadfire 5970s worked very well and was much better than anything NVidia had.

NVidia did eventually come up with a faster option - Quad SLI GTX 480s but not even I was crazy enough to want to put 4 of those hot running cards in a PC.:D

Soldato
Back in the day quadfire 5970s worked very well and was much better than anything NVidia had.

NVidia did eventually come up with a faster option - Quad SLI GTX 480s but not even I was crazy enough to want to put 4 of those hot running cards in a PC.:D

Back them xfire and sli were much better supposed. It's a shame really.

Soldato
Unfortunately with only 1gb of VRAM per GPU your blackboard can probably hold more data.:eek:

Having said that if anyone wants to take my 5970s off my hands for a small fee they are welcome.:D
I was serious haha.

The 5970 has a nice PCB, would look nice on my Hardware wall display. With a screw through it..

Back
Top Bottom