Best CPU, motherboard, ram, £350

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, I'm out of the loop, component wise! My pc died this week and I thought it was the power supply, so bought a new one, but it is looking like it is the motherboard :(. I don't want to throw more money into a old system, so I'm looking at upgrade options. I currently have a am3+ system: 8320 CPU and 8gb ram.

If I have £350 to spend on a CPU, ram and motherboard, what would you recommend? I was thinking Ryzen. Pc used for gaming, I have a r9 280, and will upgrade in time.

Thanks for you help!

Soldato
Permabanned
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, I'm out of the loop, component wise! My pc died this week and I thought it was the power supply, so bought a new one, but it is looking like it is the motherboard :(. I don't want to throw more money into a old system, so I'm looking at upgrade options. I currently have a am3+ system: 8320 CPU and 8gb ram.

If I have £350 to spend on a CPU, ram and motherboard, what would you recommend? I was thinking Ryzen. Pc used for gaming, I have a r9 280, and will upgrade in time.

Thanks for you help!

Hi,

Ryzen 5 2600 + 16 GB DDR4-3000:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £359.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
Both the above quoted baskets are completely correct and the best recommendations for a ~£350 budget to replace a motherboard/RAM/CPU @ max performance/value for around £350.

VRM heatsinks are apparently equivalent on the B450-A PRO and B450 Tomahawk. The B450-A PRO and Tomahawk are next to each other on the infamous AM4 B450/X470 spreadsheet and both score highly. I'm using the B450-A PRO with a Ryzen 7 2700 @ stock. Maximum VRM temps are 54C under prime95 - supercool compared with AM3+.

Apparently they've cut corners on the sound codec on the B450-A PRO, which they didn't with the Tomahawk IIRC. I have my own soundcard solution so wasn't bothered about that aspect.

Either way, Ryzen 2600, a solid B450 board, and 16 GB of 3000-3200 MHz is the way to go.

I've just come from an FX-8350 system, and it looks like components from that system have plenty of interest and are going for reasonable money on the bay still.

Soldato
Hi all,

Thanks for you help!

have you got an SSD , if not you need one..

Back
Top Bottom