Windows 10, new install slow loading and restarting

Soldato
I decided to try Windows 10 on a new Toshiba HDD, it accepted my Win 7 pro key and installed without problems. However it takes between 2 & 3 minutes to load whereas my win 7 on the other drive loads in 25 seconds.
It shows the Win10 logo then a circle of dots keeps going for ages until the welcome screen comes up and the it takes ages for the desktop to finally appear.
It's also really slow to reload if I restart. I Googled this problem and there are loads of complaints re the same thing. I tried a few of the suggestions such as to disable fast boot but nothing makes any difference.

The drive has Ubisoft & Steam (both set not to start with windows) Firefox and 2 games + a couple of utilities
I added the drivers from my mobo disk to no avail so what can I do other than uninstalling everything

Last edited:
Associate
HDD is most likely your bottleneck.

What RPM is it? (Usually 5400 or 7200)

I've noticed some of the machines we have at work are extremely slow (3-4 minutes) with HDD's whereas the SSD ones boot pretty quickly.

Soldato
OP
Looked at the logs and there are lots of errors inc failed verification due to checksum mismatches, e.g. -stored checksum was XXXX and the computed checksum was YYYY etc
errors for certificates for local system expired or about to expire.
Seven Steam errors even though it's not set to load with windows, for e.g. : Steam client failed to add firewall exception for steam webhelper.exe

I checked firewall is allowing Steam.

Associate
That looks like your issue, if Windows is failing to load DLLs or something because they are corrupted or modified then I can see how that would result in slow boot times.

I'd google the individual errors you are getting to see if there are any specific fixes but it might be easier just to flatten and re-install.

Soldato
OP
What part takes longest? Before or after login? If after login, try a new windows profile. If before, wipe and reinstall. Something is corrupt. You can spend ages trying to find out what it is but a reinstall takes half an hour.

It lags equally before and after the login

I think it's the method I used to install following Microsofts instructions to download Win 10 and install on the active drive, it leaves the previous version of windows for 10 days giving the option to revert.

Clearly this must be flawed as it's picking up bits of code from Win 7 presumably.

I'm not sure how I can do a clean install as I'm using the free upgrade from previous windows option so i don't have a Win 10 key. I guess I can try downloading it to a CD, install from it and then add my Win 7pro key which I gather from googling will be accepted

Caporegime
just do a fresh install sounds like somethings wrong. once you had win 10 on once it will remember you machine and no need to input cdkey again.

Soldato
OP
Installed it on the Toshiba HDD via the USB, this time I've not downloaded or added any drivers, it's a bit faster but not much. This time I was forced to make a Microsoft account and login before windows would even install so i need to bypass that somehow

I do have a 250Gb SSD with win 7 on so going to try it on there

Back
Top Bottom