metered vs unmetered water

Associate
It depends on your water usage and how big your household is. Mum went from unmetered to metred and her bills dropped by 40-50%. We are a family of 4 and out bills went up 20 - 30% when we went metred. You need to estimate how much water your household uses.

Soldato
how much do you pay on rates, we have a three bed the two adults and two under five, washing machine is on 3-4 times a week and we all shower most days, no dishwasher (other than me) and our water bill Metered is £41pm. My Mother in law was on rates and it cost her £80pm just for two adults and the occasional grandchildrens baths.

Its subjective, but you have a year to have it removed if your bills are more expensive.
(my wife works for Wessex Water in the head office and we get no discount at all:()

Soldato
Have a look on your local water suppliers website mines ins United Utilities and has a calculator to see which is cheaper ..Just did mine current bill £507.23 unmetered . with meter £906.85 so that is a no then

Soldato
Have a look on your local water suppliers website mines ins United Utilities and has a calculator to see which is cheaper ..Just did mine current bill £507.23 unmetered . with meter £906.85 so that is a no then

My experience is much the same.

I think we also benefit as our house was extended prior to purchase but i don't think it's been updated so the unmetered amount was £10p/m less than our old smaller property!

Soldato
Our old house was £135 a year - buyer kept ringing up and checking -Agricultural rated - we moved to a rented 4 bed and water was £500 - Had a meter fitted and think it dropped it to around £3-400 per year - Now in a bungalow on band C and this is around £400 - The wife is a avid gardener so the hose gets used a lot so keeping to unmetered so we can waste as much as we like especially when cleaning the car - Need to have my monies worth. They want to charge stupid money I will waste stupid amounts -They didn't even refund us when I pointed out we had soak aways.

I hate utility companies. :)

Soldato
2 adults 1 child in 3 bed, we were paying ~£40/month unmetered, moved to a meter and now paying £27, that's with chucking 150L down the drain every other week running a RODI system for my reef tank

Soldato
My unmetered is £54 per month.
Washer on 5 times a week.
Car washed one a week in summer, drive and patio jetwash few times a year. Water garden in summer.
No chance im getting a meter.

Soldato
2 adults 1 child in 3 bed, we were paying ~£40/month unmetered, moved to a meter and now paying £27, that's with chucking 150L down the drain every other week running a RODI system for my reef tank

About £25 a month for me.

Make around 100ltrs of ro a week, wonder how much waste goes down the drain. Gotta be at least double that i reckon

Soldato
Metered is way cheaper for us, the actual cost of water is quite low, about £1.50 per cubic metre for us, what ramps up the costs are to do with different standing charges, drainage to the sewer , the type of house you live in as to how much rainwater will enter the sewer via the guttering etc. So you will have fixed charges even if you use no water

Soldato
Car washed one a week in summer, drive and patio jetwash few times a year. Water garden in summer.

Your paying around £650 per year! all you guys worried about how much water you use should check on your suppliers website to see the actual cost per cubic metre. This is 1000 Ltres. That's a heck of a lot of water and costs as little as £1.50 per cubic metre with Severn Trent for e.g.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your paying around £650 per year! all you guys worried about how much water you use should check on your suppliers website to see the actual cost per cubic metre. This is 1000 Ltres. That's a heck of a lot of water and costs as little as £150 with Severn Trent for e.g.
1000 liters that's nothing bet I use that in a week.
Probably about 4 baths a week that holds at least 150liters.
Fish tank gets a 50% change every week, that's 100 liters.
Then you have the jetwash both cars every week over winter, showers every day, washing up twice a day.
Baby bath is probably 10 liters a day.
Baby steriliser is 5 liters a day.
It all adds up pretty quick.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
£54 is a big bill for water, water is very cheap via a meter and i would be amazed if you managed to use that much. I have a large (by UK standards!) house and we are wasteful and use nothing like that.

Back
Top Bottom