House modernisation-Bedroom washbasins.

Soldato
Are washbasins in individual bedrooms considered a good thing these days, or do people just prefer the space.

House already has upstairs bathroom, downstairs shower and possibility for en-suite for master bedroom.

It is the other bedrooms that are the issue

Don
Depends on the number of occupants, what time people get up, go to bed and have a wash etc.

From what I've seen and discussed with friends they're usually a waste of time and money if you haven't already got them.

Waste of time and money and will ruin the flooring and walls from splashback.

Ensuite or nothing IMO.

Soldato
OP
Depends on the number of occupants, what time people get up, go to bed and have a wash etc.

From what I've seen and discussed with friends they're usually a waste of time and money if you haven't already got them.

I have got them, but they are very old and would need replacing. Also, the cold water is fed from the loft tank rather than the rising main and I would need to re-plumb the supply really. Currently one is brushing ones teeth in water that is not technically fit for consumption by modern standards.

Associate
i think that basins in bedrooms were a thing in the 70's and 80's. i haven't seen a new one installed in years. Most people that I know that had them have ripped them out. I think that given the fact that you have more than one bathroom and can add an en-suite i personally wouldn't bother.

Soldato
my last house has a sink in my bedroom

it was there because the previous owner was quite old so it was a good place for him to puke into when required. lol

I had nothing but friendly vile comments from lots of friends and family who would often think that the sink was very much out of place and what is it doing there wth!?
but it was very helpful when the toilet is busy, brushing teeth in the morning time, washing your face and of course removing makeup.

Man of Honour
My old bedroom (now guest bedroom) at my dad's house has one. From my perspective:
+Access to running water without needing to leave the room (I know this sounds lazy but can have benefits if you are feeling unwell, or don't want to disturb other residents late at night etc)
+Takes up very little space compared to an ensuite
+Private access so don't need to wait for access to bathroom etc
-As noted above a bit dodgy in that I'd be drinking water from the loft tank, I didn't really even think about it at the time
-If you've got plumbing it kind of feels a bit pointless not to go the whole hog and have an ensuite providing there is room
-Generally viewed as a bit usual/outdated so risk of putting off buyers

Associate
When I grew up we had one in every bedroom.

In a big family they were great - no waiting in the morning to wash/brush teeth etc. However habits have changed now. Most people have showers every day whereas it was more common in the past to have a wash in the morning and baths in the evening.

I wouldn't fit any nowadays and I'd remove them if I was renovating, especially if you can fit in an en-suite for the master bedroom

Soldato
Get shot of the sink as it's fed from a tank! That would be my biggest issue, loft water tanks are wine of th most unsanitary things ever!

Soldato
OP
Get shot of the sink as it's fed from a tank! That would be my biggest issue, loft water tanks are wine of th most unsanitary things ever!

Yeah, that moment when you lift the lid and find oneself confronted by a foetid raft composed of a mixture of rotting Owls, Rodents and various forms of algae.

And then think to oneself...

I have been drinking that!

:eek: :p

(But I am still alive!)

Back
Top Bottom