40 inch 4k monitors, are they worth it?.

Associate
Hi guys,

Not been on here since my first postings, I have been busy :)

My brother has a 4k 40 inch iiyama monitor, and in the settings it wont go to 60hz it only does 30hz, is this normal? the gaming on it looks terrible, glitchy in games, would you say purchasing anything top end should be much much better? if its not ill not bother.

I was thinking of going for a 4k monitor and a 2080ti card, money is now not a problem as I have a job, and I have got more jam than Hartleys, won some money at poker.

So far all I have seen is 4k is not all that its made up to be, and you would be better using something far less than a 2080ti in gaming.

What do you guys thinks?

Soldato
The step up to 4K 40" was, for me, a revelation. Games took on a new clarity, and I wouldn't dream of changing, given my current setup. I think it's the ideal size for 2160p, in terms of PPI and general usage.

I think you need 60Hz minimum to appreciate PC gaming at such a res, and the fastest graphics card you can get is crucial to enjoying smooth gaming across a wide range of games.

If you're looking for a screen, there aren't really that many options. I own a Philips, which has been fine, but I'm watching over the next few months as there are newer models touted with better panels, higher and variable refresh rates, and more. You might be better off waiting.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Not been on here since my first postings, I have been busy :)

My brother has a 4k 40 inch iiyama monitor, and in the settings it wont go to 60hz it only does 30hz, is this normal? the gaming on it looks terrible, glitchy in games, would you say purchasing anything top end should be much much better? if its not ill not bother.

I was thinking of going for a 4k monitor and a 2080ti card, money is now not a problem as I have a job, and I have got more jam than Hartleys, won some money at poker.

So far all I have seen is 4k is not all that its made up to be, and you would be better using something far less than a 2080ti in gaming.

What do you guys thinks?

Wait for the Asus XG438Q if you're looking at 4K @ 40"+. This will put anything else to shame. It won't be cheap (£2K+ I suspect), but if money isn't a problem... :)

Soldato
I have a 40” 4K monitor and I would like to downsize. The trouble is, even sitting at a normal distance, I have to move both my head and eyes to see the corners. I’ll go for the first decent 27-32” panel that becomes available.

As for whether to get a 2080ti, it’s overpriced but you can never have too much power at 4K unless you only play ancient games.

There’s a solution to the 30hz problem but I can’t recall it. Cable or port or something.

Soldato
I have a 40” 4K monitor and I would like to downsize. The trouble is, even sitting at a normal distance, I have to move both my head and eyes to see the corners. I’ll go for the first decent 27-32” panel that becomes available.

As for whether to get a 2080ti, it’s overpriced but you can never have too much power at 4K unless you only play ancient games.

There’s a solution to the 30hz problem but I can’t recall it. Cable or port or something.

I think 40-43" ideally needs to be 90-100cm away to avoid head movement... eye movement is a given though.

30Hz limitation is over HDMI 1.4. It should run at 60hz over HDMI 2.0 and Display Port 1.2 (and 1.4 obviously).

Associate
OP

I will have a look into that, so just changing the hdmi cable could be the problem? Dp is for lower refresh rate?

Soldato
I think 40-43" ideally needs to be 90-100cm away to avoid head movement... eye movement is a given though.

Yes, eyes good, head not so much. I have a fairly standard depth office desk (which I think is 80cm). The monitor eats up about 15cm of that, so it’s not easy to sit 100cm away and still be comfortable with keyboard and mouse.

Soldato
Yes, eyes good, head not so much. I have a fairly standard depth office desk (which I think is 80cm). The monitor eats up about 15cm of that, so it’s not easy to sit 100cm away and still be comfortable with keyboard and mouse.

Can you not wall mount? That would give you some space back.

Soldato
Can you not wall mount? That would give you some space back.

I would really like 144hz and adaptive sync. If I could rewind, I’d likely have two 27” monitors side-by-side in order to keep sufficient desktop space for spreading my programs around.

Soldato
That Asus monitor looks like it is the business. I will wait, I think that monitor will need a 2080ti for sure.

Definitely a 2080Ti required for 4K really. 1080Ti does a decent job in some games, so depends what you play. The other option could be the upcoming LG 38GL950G. What you should keep in mind is the PPI of both these monitors will be the same (actually the LG has the slight edge)... but the LG will be easier to drive.

Caporegime
Always interests me when people say they don't want to have to move their heads to see the corners. A lot of people go to great lengths to create exactly this scenario, i.e. multi monitor setups for immersion.

I have a Philips BDM4065 40" 60Hz 4K screen and it does 60Hz over displayport with my GTX970. I love it for general usage and productivity, and for games it's great but I have to go to 1440p UW for games so can't run it at 4K generally.

Associate
I stuck my 40ins TV on my desk for a while just to see how it would work -

Running 4k at 100% DPI rather than the 200% DPI I have to run my 28" was the bee's knees - The sheer amount of content I could fit on the screen was impressive.

I didn't think it was too big for gaming, if anything it made gaming a billion times better as my entire field of view was taken up. In desktop usage I found myself just using the middle third for stuff I was working on, so I didn't need to move my head - At that point I understood why people bought ultrawides but it was still useful chucking content I didn't immediately need or just to keep an eye on elsewhere on the desk.

But it did look a bit silly on my desk admittedly, felt like I was showing off a bit

Soldato
Just ordered the LG 43ud79. Will be here tomorrow. It'll be shock to the system at the very least!

I won't be gaming on it though, purely for productivity and Web.

Soldato
I used a Samsung 4k 40" TV for almost a year and switched back to 1440p.

As much as 4k is great for gaming, once you go 144hz you really cant go back to 60hz.
Once I see some well priced 4K tv/monitors with at least 100hz I'd happily switch back again.

Back
Top Bottom