Firefox Browser being redirected to Router?

Soldato
I've just added a new SSD and I've installed Win10 on it. Everything appears to be fine, all software updated and current to the best of my knowledge. I downloaded the latest version of Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit) and it says "Firefox is up to date". I have run Malwarebytes, McAfee AV and Superantispyware and they're all okay.

This is what happens:- I'm browsing the web on Firefox, today it was the Disneyland webpage here:- https://tips.disneylandparisandyou.com/index.php?market=uk. Half way down that page is a section entitled Photopass+ and there's this link:- Learn more. But when I click that link, Firefox takes me to:- http://192.168.8.1/html/quicksetup....paris.co.uk/guest-services/photopass-service/ I get the following as the page won't load:-
Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.8.1.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web

If I cut and paste the original link location into the browser, it still takes me to the page that won't load!

I believe it's trying to take me to the router? How can I solve this? The only workaround that appears to work for me is if I paste the link into Google's search engine, let Google give me the result and then click on that link, that works.

Man of Honour
Weird. I wonder what would happen if you changed your router Lan address to something less 1990s, like 10.1.1.0 and then see what that page does

Less 90's... love that! :) Now I feel old though as I have 3 lans here to separate out traffic and all of them are 192.168.1.x, .2.x, .3.x... so wifi on one, everything else on the second and all my h.323 and ipsec traffic on another.

Personally I don't think it would be the lan address causing issues, it's much more likely dns or dns resolver cache. The other issue could be your hosts file, as I understand most malware applications like to write values into the host file to redirect what they think are malicious sites to home, normally to loopback or 172.0.0.1. Have a look in your hosts file and see if there are tons of entries... c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Soldato
They all live in the same subnet so are all contactable. ie it's not separate. I have a 192.168 Lan for VPN traffic as the endpoint is on a 10. address which means if I had a 10. private LAN I'd not be able to connect to the VPN. If I'm VPNing I connect to a wireless SSID on a 192 subnet.

For Sonos it has its own hidden SSID and only Sonos devices connect to that on a 192.168.3 address which is tagged to the other device up LAN of 10.1.1.x for phones, laptops, etc

Man of Honour
They all live in the same subnet so are all contactable. ie it's not separate. I have a 192.168 Lan for VPN traffic as the endpoint is on a 10. address which means if I had a 10. private LAN I'd not be able to connect to the VPN. If I'm VPNing I connect to a wireless SSID on a 192 subnet.

For Sonos it has its own hidden SSID and only Sonos devices connect to that on a 192.168.3 address which is tagged to the other device up LAN of 10.1.1.x for phones, laptops, etc

The endpoint is on a 192.168.101 for my 192.168.3. They are on the same subnet but with no routes I can't route the traffic as my foti is set up to not allow it, same subnet, separate networks, although I do have a few routes that allow specific devices through. We used to have issues with things connecting in on the same network address over ssl vpn connections but sorted it by translating all addresses to 10.0.0.x. Similar i think to what your doing above :) I'm no network guru tbh but do like breaking stuff in my fortigate way too often then end up falling back on the guys a btinet who we use to manage our bigger 200e's to bail me out :D

Soldato
OP
Weird. I wonder what would happen if you changed your router Lan address to something less 1990s, like 10.1.1.0 and then see what that page does
I'm afraid I'm not sure how to do that. I remember when I first connected the router and I was using a browser it took me to 192.168.... something... to set up the router (which I never did as I didn't understand the settings, so I left it as it was and just changed the default login password). I'm wondering if the clean install has prompted something similar again?

The other issue could be your hosts file, as I understand most malware applications like to write values into the host file to redirect what they think are malicious sites to home, normally to loopback or 172.0.0.1. Have a look in your hosts file and see if there are tons of entries... c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
That's all there was. I opened it with notepad.

I'm afraid I don't really understand networking/routers etc!

Soldato
OP
Found this under Network Connection properties if it's of any use:-

Name: Ethernet
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical address (MAC): 2c:4d:54:9d:6a:da
Maximum transmission unit: 1500
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 1000/1000 (Mbps)
DHCP enabled: Yes
DHCP servers: 192.168.8.1
DHCP lease obtained: ‎Sunday, ‎February ‎17, ‎2019 8:54:00 AM
DHCP lease expires: ‎Monday, ‎February ‎18, ‎2019 8:54:00 AM
IPv4 address: 192.168.8.101/24
IPv6 address: fe80::7446:2b72:edb8:b0e7%7/64
Default gateway: 192.168.8.1
DNS servers: 192.168.8.1, 192.168.8.1
DNS domain name:
DNS connection suffix:
DNS search suffix list:
Network name: Network
Network category: Public
Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Connected to Internet / Connected to unknown network

Name: Ethernet 2
Description: TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9
Physical address (MAC): 00:ff:44:cd:26:6b
Maximum transmission unit: 1500
IPv4 address: 169.254.177.112/16
IPv6 address: fe80::544a:fb51:3e7:b170%4/64
DNS servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Disconnected

Ethernet 2 must be my NORD VPN subscription I guess.

Soldato
Nothing untoward there. It does feel like the router has gone back into provisioning mode for done reason.

If you right click on your network icon in network and sharing, you could click on properties and set your DNS to Google which 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. that might well do the trick

Soldato
OP
Nothing untoward there. It does feel like the router has gone back into provisioning mode for done reason.

If you right click on your network icon in network and sharing, you could click on properties and set your DNS to Google which 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. that might well do the trick
Just wanted to say thanks Django for taking a look at the problem for me. It has stopped as suddenly as it started. I didn't change the DNS as I wasn't quite sure which bit to do!:o I believe it was the router, if it happens again I might be brave and have a go. Thanks.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom