Shared internet

Associate
Hi clever PC people, looking for some networking advice.

I'm due to move to an apartment in the states that has shared internet and i need security advice.

This is going to need to be a long term solution and would be willing to spend around £250

I'll have access to an ethernet and wifi. Can't ever trust it as users can surly see what other users are doing on the network.

So what would you do? Can I set a router router up a fancy way for all my devices and encrypt all my traffic with a VPN?

Thanks

Soldato
Shared internet in that you will be connecting to the same SSID and you just have an ethernet port in your apartment?

Or there is a line coming into the building but then you get your own router etc?

Soldato
put a firewall on your laptop job done, unless you are doing something illegal, are someone who might be targeted for an attack (government official)

Soldato
If you want security, as in you don't want the other people on the network seeing what you're doing, then a VPN installed on each device you use would be good.

Soldato
If you've got access to a wired connection, and you want the security, then just put your own router in between theirs and your devices. VPN out of the router. You will be behind a double NAT though

Soldato
Yeah your option is just to use VPN then. Either go for one of the commercial providers or if you want, spin up a VM in the cloud and use that.

Soldato
If you've got access to a wired connection, and you want the security, then just put your own router in between theirs and your devices. VPN out of the router. You will be behind a double NAT though

That would be my choice as whilst double NAT is a pain, it doesn't involve building management or their IT provider / ISP. OP can then have his/her own network segmented from the rest of the building and their own WiFi off that.

Soldato
Who in their right mind would configure the broadband coming in not to be isolated (both on the wireless and the Ethernet)? It's not like it's difficult to do.

The OP may just be making assumptions based on nothing.

If you connect a device directly to the Ethernet can you actually see other devices on the network?

Associate
OP
Sorry for late reply, been working.
The reason I'm interested in this is because one time I had a buddy round, logged into the wifi and was able to monitor everything I was doing on my own machine. He sure taught me a lesson and will never happen again.

put a firewall on your laptop
Firewall I don't think will work. I want to be completely anonymous on their network. And of course nothing illegal, I just don't want anyone violating my privacy.
If you want security, as in you don't want the other people on the network seeing what you're doing, then a VPN installed on each device you use would be good.
Ideally I don't want to use a VPN on every device. I'd rather setup my own access/router and have all my traffic together.
See I though something like that, but I did'nt think connecting a router to a router will work.
Yeah your option is just to use VPN then. Either go for one of the commercial providers or if you want, spin up a VM in the cloud and use that.
Looks like it, I'm already subscribed to ExpressVPN. Was with torguard but the reduced the speed after 6 months.
Could ask them to put his new router in the DMZ on their router, if it's not being used for anything
I don't have access to the router and I won't question it further than 'can I have my own connection - no'. It's a 6 apartment block that it serves.
Who in their right mind would configure the broadband coming in not to be isolated (both on the wireless and the Ethernet)? It's not like it's difficult to do.
The OP may just be making assumptions based on nothing.
If you connect a device directly to the Ethernet can you actually see other devices on the network?
Listen internet is a big issue, yes I'm making assumptions but I do want to be prepared. I will need to connect to the network, I'm still in the UK. So if the I cannot see any other devices on the network my connection is isolated? How else would I confirm that?

Thanks

Soldato
You'd scan the network... either way a lot easier if you establish actual facts and post back, other than that all people can really do is speculate that your future includes a lot of double NAT and people asking you stupid questions/to say certain things because they find them funny, neither is particularly useful or insightful.

Back
Top Bottom