Good Quality Axle Stands

Soldato
Hi all,

I've never owned any axle stands before and want to do a bit of work under the car...

Without breaking the bank are there any popular brands that people use on here?

Thanks in advance! :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for the responses! :)

I have actually seen both the silverline and the SGS ones, so they must be popular. One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a mix of views on whether or not go to with the ratchet type or the standard pin type?

In terms of the ratchets, I did notice that on the silverline there does not seem to be a safety pin but the SGS looks to have that additional safety pin, not sure how important that is?

Soldato
Agree with the above, if it makes even a tiny amount of difference it could ultimately be worth it

Could be making an irrelevant point to you but it's very unusual for me to have the car high enough for a ratchet Vs sleeved stand to make any difference (i e set at lowest possible height)

Permabanned
With underbody soundproofing and splashguards it's sometimes tricky to work out the best, safe axle stand points.

Not keen on using the pinch weld on sills unless the car is fairly new.
Suspension arm anchor points are fine.
Subframes and cross members are OK

You knew where you were with a rear axle and leaf springs.;)

Soldato
I have actually seen both the silverline and the SGS ones, so they must be popular. One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a mix of views on whether or not go to with the ratchet type or the standard pin type?

I use axle stands regularly at work, removing bumpers, sill repairs etc. and much prefer the ratchet type. Simple one handed operation to set them to height, no need to crawl under the unsupported car using both hands to wrestle them into position and insert the pin.

I've never seen the ratchet type with additional pin, but that seems like the best of both worlds. I've never had reason to doubt the safety of ratchet ones but that extra level of security can't be a bad thing.

Associate
Also check the lowest height they go to. With some larger ones, you have to jack the car up uneccessarily high to get the stand under, if all you want to do is remove a wheel and secure the car.

Associate
I'm sure someone once did a test of the ratchet axle stands and to actually pull the ratchet up with the weight of the car on the stand was next to impossible to get it to release by knocking it accidentally ( he did get it to relaese using a crowbar) but i suppose an added extra safety precaution is always worth it personally i use the stands and also have my jack still in place but with only with a contact force applied no lifting force as an added line of safety

Last edited:
Permabanned
There is a YT channel call hydraulic press and he tested the scissor types, hydraulic pump and axle stands.

Axle stands withstood 10tonnes more force than spec. The other around 3-4 tonne.

Ive never used them before, but will be using them from now on!

Soldato
personally i use the stands and also have my jack still in place but with only with a contact force applied no lifting force as an added line of safety

Always a good idea, and it's in place ready to lift the car again if anything goes wrong. If I remove any wheels they get thrown under the car too if I can. Would rather crush one of those than my skull!

Associate
I bought the sgs alu 2.5 jack and some jack stands recently. very good value. I also bolted some jacking rails to the mustang (BMR) to make it super easy

Man of Honour
I will never get under a car without axle stands. Jacks have much more potential for failure.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I always get it on axle stands and also leave the jack in place too, in case of stand failure. When I am completely under the middle of the car I've also been known to throw a spare wheel under there for good measure.

Soldato
(similarly always have the jack, lowered so it shares load with axel stands, plus a tyre, in place)
my concern with axel stand is the comparatively narrow tripod base, especially if on a brick paved driveway (stupid maybe), a brick could give a bit; a sheet of ply, beneath the tripod, always seems attractive ?

Back
Top Bottom