Mobo for a Ryzen 2600

Associate
Just when you think you've got a system sorted and you read more in depth reviews you go back to the drawing board....

I'm looking for a decent board to house a Ryzen 2600(X), or maybe even the 2700. Primary use will be for video editing, not really for gaming. So the CPU will be subjected to prolonged encoding use.

After reading reviews and looking at the hardware unboxed reviews of the B450's am I best going for a MSI or ASRock board and avoiding ASUS? They don't seem to rate ASUS or Gigabyte boards when they were stress tested.

I'm currently now leaning towards a MSI Tomahawk, or I'd be happy to pay the extra £30 for the Gaming Pro Carbon AC if that's a worthy upgrade? I'd like something that would be able to take the new Ryzen processors when they come out later this year as well.

Thanks

Associate
If you are not overclocking, then I would suggest (admittedly without having watched HUs video on this one), that you will not be stressing your motherboard at all. The CPU at stock wont ask for more than the motherboard is designed for, which should meet some AMD specification (I would imagine). These will be common whatever manufacturer you look at (with minimal differences) So, if not OC'ing, your concern should be features (USB, SATA etc) and price.

Soldato
what size board you after as that will vary in features.

im going to be bias, but my aorus itx board is running very well with my 2600, i have stock cooler, so no overclocking tests, so maybe consider the big brother versions as an alternative, but as for the new line of processors, i think you need an x470 or something?

Soldato
You shouldn't really have any issues with most B450 boards and an R5 2600/X or R7 2700.

If you don't need wifi then the B450 Tomahawk will be fine. There is also the Asus B450-E which has a much improved VRM, but it isn't widely available for whatever reason. I have seen it listed for just over £120 on a google search. Not sure why ocuk are not stocking it.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-E-GAMING/

Associate
+1 for MSI B450s. The impression is they're amongst the best B450s VRM-wise, and that'll in turn probably provide the best shot at upgrading to the higher performing Ryzen 3000s in due course.

Soldato
The MSI B450 Gaming Pro carbon is great motherboard with very good VRM layout, should let you install new 3000 chips no problem.

The ASUS mentioned above is another board with great VRM layout, even potentially better than the MSI but try finding one, actually this would be my choice if waiting if not a problem but if you cant wait then the MSI B450 is still a fantastic board.

Associate
run a 2600 on a B350 tomahawk at 4.125ghz @ 1.425v for overclocking and the VRM copes without any issue although I did glue extra fined heatsinks on it. Was fine with my 1700 running 3.9ghz 1.325v too although it did need air over the heatsink as I run an AIO on it. should have no issues with the B450 tomahawk.

Caporegime
You shouldn't really have any issues with most B450 boards and an R5 2600/X or R7 2700.

If you don't need wifi then the B450 Tomahawk will be fine. There is also the Asus B450-E which has a much improved VRM, but it isn't widely available for whatever reason. I have seen it listed for just over £120 on a google search. Not sure why ocuk are not stocking it.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-E-GAMING/

Is the Gaming F any good ?

Soldato
I’m like the op and wanting a B450 for Zen 2

The MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC would be my suggestion then if you want to buy a solid board now. As mentioned above though, you might just be better off waiting for the new boards to drop if you are planning on getting a Ryzen 3xxx cpu. That way you get an up to date chipset and probably an even better VRM.

Caporegime
The MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC would be my suggestion then if you want to buy a solid board now. As mentioned above though, you might just be better off waiting for the new boards to drop if you are planning on getting a Ryzen 3xxx cpu. That way you get an up to date chipset and probably an even better VRM.

Yeah...the only other option is to just go cheap cheap

Soldato
would push x470 carbon if your looking for cheaper 2700x editing rig with 24/7 use .

wouldn' personally go with b450 when x570 is near , £120 should be entry pricing and will be good leap above b450 and x470 boards .

think of Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra 4+3 (£120) vs Gigabyte Z390 UD 10+2 (£120)

Back
Top Bottom