Random restart

Associate
Long time lurker...

Throwing this out there, just in case someone has any ideas.

I have built a new system, based around the new AMD Ryzen ecosystem, and have had nothing but issues. The problem is that the system will ‘randomly’ restart, regardless of what is happening at the time. For example, I could be on the desktop, open up Chrome...bam, restart. Happens wherever, playing games, sitting on desktop, listening to music etc.

Event logs are filled with WHEA errors when it happens.

My system is
Ryzen 2600 (not overclocked)
64GB (4x16GB) RAM
4 x SSD’s (120GB – 1TB)
AMD R9 390

Total estimated system load is 467 Watts, according to some online calculators.

I've RMA'd the processor, as I was getting Windoes WHEA event log errors to just find that it still randomly restarts.

I've removed the Sound Card, and still doing the same.
Re-seated all the components and applied new thermal compound, but still happening.
Bought more case fans, thinking its a possible board overheating.
Removed all cables and reconnected the lot...still the same.
Checked the RAM in memtest64, all passes.

Powersupply is an EVGA 650watt 120-G1-0650-XR

I've resorted to running specific benchmarks, to stress the CPU, GPU, apply max power across the board....works fine, no hiccups.

I'm at my whits end with it all. Ideas?

Apologies in advance if I've posted it in the wrong section.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Cheers EsaT, thanks for the advice.

I dont get a BSOD, its like someone pressed reset. Blank screen and Windows starts back up, like from a fresh power on.

System has been flattened again (3rd time now :( ), and all drives wiped...running with bare minimum software install and latest drivers I could find. This time I'll test with each component removed for a period of time...and this is the frustrating part, it could be 5mins or a week before it hits again.

Associate
OP
Is your RAM on the motherboard's compatibility list?

Yes, first kit I got was the Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2x16GB) and according to the Crucial compatibility check, its fine and then later Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB), which again fine. The board QVL list isn't very comprehensive.

Soldato
As default Windows restarts instead of staying in BSOD screen, so it could be doing that.
Windows makes memory dump (.dmp files) those programs use into Windows-directory.

Soldato
Motherboard (which is it?) BIOS up to date?

Symptoms sound like RAM. In addition to the Prime Blend test recommended, try Memtest HCI (different to 64).

Also build the system outside of the case with no case I/O cables (PWR/RESET etc) plugged in. Short the PWR pins to start it up, to rule out a faulty switch/cable.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Motherboard (which is it?) BIOS up to date?

Symptoms sound like RAM. In addition to the Prime Blend test recommended, try Memtest HCI (different to 64).

Also build the system outside of the case with no case I/O cables (PWR/RESET etc) plugged in. Short the PWR pins to start it up, to rule out a faulty switch/cable.

The motherboard is an ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING with latest BIOS, case is the FRACTAL DESIGN Meshify C. I've had this issue from purchase (October 2018). The restart issue, is random, no way to trigger it, just happens, no BSOD. It would be helpful if I got a BSOD, at least I'd have somewhere to start looking.

I've ran Prime95 for 3hrs using BLEND test, no issues. Ran memtest64 (16hrs to complete), no errors. I've had the system outside the case, never got the issue, but it was for 24hrs, and like I said, the issue can sometimes be a week before it happens.

As default Windows restarts instead of staying in BSOD screen, so it could be doing that.
Windows makes memory dump (.dmp files) those programs use into Windows-directory.
I've used a few viewers to see what those files contain, and I'll be honest either I'm not proficient at reading them, or there isn't an awful lot of info. Just appears to be a load of entries for processes and drivers etc...anything in particular I should be looking for?

In the mean time, I've removed my Sound card (Xonar D2x) and installed an Intel 1000 PT NIC (had lying around), as I've had suspicions on it being the NIC....as its happened more often than in other instances, when opening a network share, it restarts.

Will look to run some of the additional tests, thanks again.

Soldato
You could take screenshot of BSOD viewer showing driver stack.
If NIC is cause tcpip.sys could be near top.

Anyway that motherboard has Realtek NIC and those aren't considered as reliable as Intels.
So worth of shot to test with separate NIC when you have one available. (disable integrated from BIOS)

Back
Top Bottom