Laying small patio for bbq table

Soldato
As we are into Spring hopefully I'll get a chance to get the patio laid for the bbq table that Ive made. The area is 2m x 2m and wondering what the best way to lay them will be? There will only ever be 1 or 2 people standing there because of the way it will be enclosed so very little in the way of weight.

Its currently soil so I need to know what is the best way to deal with the base? I dont have access to a compactor so will all be done by hand however I wasnt sure if a layer of hardcore would be needed or if I would get away with concrete straight onto the soil with the flags laid on top?

Any advice appreciated thanks.

Soldato
Dig out at least a few inches of soil,then chippings then slabs
The more you dig out the less chance of the slabs sinking in the future
Ideally you want to hire a wacker to compact the hardcore/chippings

Soldato
As we are into Spring hopefully I'll get a chance to get the patio laid for the bbq table that Ive made. The area is 2m x 2m and wondering what the best way to lay them will be? There will only ever be 1 or 2 people standing there because of the way it will be enclosed so very little in the way of weight.

Its currently soil so I need to know what is the best way to deal with the base? I dont have access to a compactor so will all be done by hand however I wasnt sure if a layer of hardcore would be needed or if I would get away with concrete straight onto the soil with the flags laid on top?

Any advice appreciated thanks.

You don't need to use concrete (and I'd advise against it).

As long as the ground is fairly stable, just dig out what you need to, compact it down with 2 pieces of timber fitted together in a T shape then lay a 10:1 sand/cement base.

By far the best source I've found for advice on laying slabs is http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

Soldato
OP
You don't need to use concrete (and I'd advise against it).

As long as the ground is fairly stable, just dig out what you need to, compact it down with 2 pieces of timber fitted together in a T shape then lay a 10:1 sand/cement base.

By far the best source I've found for advice on laying slabs is http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

Thanks, happy to go with a 10:1 mix but what type of sand do I need to use? The Paving Expert website says to not use bulding sand but I cant see what type of sand that should be used (unless Ive not got that far yet) I live next to a Wickes and B&Q so hopefully they will stock what I need.

Edit - it appears I need grit sand which doesnt appear to be available at the DIY shops.

Edit 2 - Is grit sand the same as sharp sand? - https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Travis-Perkins-Grit-Sharp-Sand-Trade-Pack/p/996242

Associate
4" of Type 1 mot, compacted, with the slabs laid on a bed of damp sand mortar mix, just over an inch thick, will suffice. Use your local buildbase. Travis are horrendously expensive.

Personally I'd lay a concrete slab first instead of type 1, but that's just me. It won't be going anywhere then and it's too small to cause drainage issues. I'm laying a 7m x 5m slab for my patio with built in drainage points.

400mm sand stones slabs always bloody move about, crack etc. 600mm concrete slabs are more stable and highly resistant to damage

Back
Top Bottom