Anyone have any tips on how to sandwich fans between case and radiator?

Soldato
I'm trying to put my first custom loop together and it's proving more challenging than i anticipated. I have a 60mm multi port radiator that i need to mount to the top of my PC-O11 case and i need to mount it with the fans between the case and radiator because the multiport plugs prevent it screwing in flush with the case (see pic).

una2fib.jpg

I've been tearing my hair out trying to do this because i'm placing the fans on the radiator, offering it up to the case with my left hand whilst trying to get the screws through the case, through the fans and in the radiator with my right hand and then screwing them in. All whilst trying to stop the fans shifting about as i do this. So far i've failed miserably.

Am i being completely thick or is this meant to be a right royal pain in the bum?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
If it's possible to slot the fans in after one is bolted in place, do it one at a time. You could anchor one end of the radiator in place temporarily with a pair of long bolts without a fan then fit the fan at the opposite end.

Soldato
OP
Bit of both...

Use a couple of normal fan screws to secure the fans to the case mount.
Then drop some long screws down through the empty fan holes and lift the radiator into place.
Screw rad down.
Remove fan screws and replace with remaining long screws.
Job done.

Be sure to keep the fan cables out the way, maybe route them before lifting the rad in.

Thanks for that, sounds like the best solution i've heard so far.

Soldato
I'm trying to put my first custom loop together and it's proving more challenging than i anticipated. I have a 60mm multi port radiator that i need to mount to the top of my PC-O11 case and i need to mount it with the fans between the case and radiator because the multiport plugs prevent it screwing in flush with the case (see pic).

una2fib.jpg

I've been tearing my hair out trying to do this because i'm placing the fans on the radiator, offering it up to the case with my left hand whilst trying to get the screws through the case, through the fans and in the radiator with my right hand and then screwing them in. All whilst trying to stop the fans shifting about as i do this. So far i've failed miserably.

Am i being completely thick or is this meant to be a right royal pain in the bum?
Push the rad back so that the ports clear the case, that will give you 10 mount points for screws (the 2 bottom screws will not go in). 10 will be sufficient to secure the rad without issue.

Back
Top Bottom