Favourite Driving Roads

Soldato
I had a search to see if I could find any previous threads on good driving roads. No doubt it's been covered before and my search skills are letting me down! So, for those of you who like to take the car out on a Sunday morning for no other reason than to drive it, where are your favourite roads?

This year I've managed to get out in my 440i a couple of times, with my brother in his Octavia VRS, and from Newcastle we've been checking out various roads in the North Pennines.

A686: Penrith to Haydon Bridge

This was the first road we found as it's recommended quite a lot online. From Newcastle you can get there pretty quickly by heading down the A69. From Haydon Bridge to Alston is fantastic. The road is reasonably wide, decent visibility and lots of bends. At 6am there is no traffic whatsoever. It initially starts off building elevation slowly through valleys. It then has a couple of hairpin switch backs which are great fun before climbing up into the Pennines then down into a valley at the head of the South Tyne at Alston. From there it climbs up to (the now unfortunately burnt down) Hartside Cafe which is an utterly fantastic piece of road. Great surface, lots of 3rd gear corners, and great visibility. You can park up at the top for some fantastic views. From there, you can descend the other side to Melmerby. Lots of switchbacks and 2nd gear corners. Great fun early in the morning before traffic starts to build. At Melmerby I turn round and do the climb in reverse. From there I tend to head back down to Alston for some other great roads.

B6277: Alston to Middleton in Teesdale

This road is faster than the A686, with better visibility, and faster more sweeping corners. It climbs out of Alston south up into the hills, then reaches the head of the Tees, and flows down the valley into Middleton in Teesdale past High Force. Really fun road, especially after crossing from Cumbria into County Durham where the road surface improves significantly. The first half is better than the second. Once you're past High Force there are a few more blind bends and small villages to contend with. The views from the top of the Teesdale before you descend are fantastic.

B6276: Middleton in Teesdale to Brough

Discovered this road on our most recent outing. No traffic. Fast sweeping corners. Technical sections. Superb visibility of the road ahead. Great challenge in a car, at legal speeds. Purely for driving this road is now I think my favourite.

B6278: Middleton in Teesdale to Stanhope

Clearly I think all car enthusiasts should move to Middleton in Teesdale, as no matter which way you leave the village there is a fantastic road available. This one runs north to Stanhope. Henry Catchpole shot a decent portion of his Porsche GT2 RS video for Carfection on this road. This is another road that is plenty wide, has good visibility, and more sweeping 3rd gear corners.

We're planning on drives to the Yorkshire Dales and Yorkshire Moors in the summer (wanting no traffic we reach the driving roads at dawn, so we've not ventured too far yet). I've seen a few videos (Buttertubs in the Dales, Blakey Ridge in the Moors?) but I'm keen to hear of other people's recommendations. Ultimately this will all end with a trip to the NC500 we're planning for next year but just looking at adventures for the day at the moment.

Soldato
Evo triangle used to be good but no point for the last 5 years or so as it's become too popular and now i think there's even speed cameras there.

I quite like the Llanberis pass A4086, if you've got a nice small car with proper suspension (Audi's need not apply) the B4407 over the top via Ysbyty Ifan is really fun.

The roads around the the Nurburgring are amazing, the one from Adenau up to Siebenbach is especially good.

Soldato
A686: Penrith to Haydon Bridge
B6277: Alston to Middleton in Teesdale
B6276: Middleton in Teesdale to Brough
B6278: Middleton in Teesdale to Stanhope

I've always drove up the A68 from Riding Mill to Carterway Heads, down the 6278 to Stanhope and then along to Alston and up the Hartside that way. I'll have to make a route out of the ones you've suggested, thanks!

Added it to the BMW route planner so I can pick it up in the car later.

Last edited:
Soldato
I drove the B6276 heading away from Brough a couple of years ago and it still sticks in my head. I was in the ZT at the time but keep saying I should go back in the Impreza. Superb road and stunning scenery.

The A672 and A640 between Rishworth and Denshaw in Saddleworth (old MM roads) makes up a nice little run if you hit it early enough. Quite a tactical road, although in a fast car you'll get through it in no time.

Last edited:
Soldato
A49/41 from Warrington down to Raven Cafe, then A41 down to the motorway junction, M54...?) Motorway-Shrewsbury cafe is the better half, unfortunately for us. As someone mentioned, earlier up, roads around the Nurburgring are glorious.

Back
Top Bottom