Electric/Gas Meter Replacement

Soldato
Hi,

Just moved in somewhere that has electric/gas meters from the 90s, gas is still measuring in cubic feet. The survey said there was a good chance these are less accurate than modern equivalents, not sure how true this actually is?

Question is, will any supplier replace these free of charge without commiting to a contract? I haven't yet called the supplier the previous owner was with, but was planning on going on their variable rate and then switching asap to someone like Bulb.

Should I request the meter replacement before changing to a smaller/cheaper supplier or will anyone do them? Preferably replacing to a non-smart meter?

Thanks

Soldato
Wait until you switch supplier, no point doing it before that. 99% of suppliers won't charge to change to a smart meter (although some do).

Soldato
Bulb will do it for free but check first as it may be months before they will get round to installing yours as there is a waiting list. You may be lucky in your area and get it done quicker.

I wanted an Economy 7 meter in the mean time but they said they don't have any and to go to another supplier that has some. Not sure what's going on with the utilities these days!

Soldato
I wanted an Economy 7 meter in the mean time but they said they don't have any and to go to another supplier that has some. Not sure what's going on with the utilities these days!

This is because they don't want the out lay for the extra parts that are needed to make Smets2 work as E7, basically they don't want to spend an extra £100 on a contactor some cable and an extra 30mins of an engineer's time to install it!

Soldato
This is because they don't want the out lay for the extra parts that are needed to make Smets2 work as E7, basically they don't want to spend an extra £100 on a contactor some cable and an extra 30mins of an engineer's time to install it!

They do charge £120 for it unlike the SMETS meters but it's just odd or they are cost cutting everything to gain market share are giving out generous referrals and paying exit fees.

Associate
More accuracy could mean increased bills. I'd keep em.

I was going to say this. Just as likely they're inaccurate in your favour. When I worked for BG they'd charge to test meters and only cover the cost if a fault was found. Not worth worrying about unless you notice a significant increase in bills that can't be explained by other, more likely, factors, tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
The chance of your meter being high or low reading is very unlikely, even very old meters (I took an electric meter off that's been installed since 1961 this week) have been proven to be accurate. The old mechanical type oddly don't go wrong very often!

Back
Top Bottom