Headlight bulbs

Soldato
Hey chaps,looking to replace the H4 headlight bulbs in the MG3
Current ones are yellowish and are not very bright.

Im looking for the brightest ones from this list that are road legal,but confused by the (K)
What should i be looking at for brightest white light? (Im assuming 5000K)?

cheers guys much appreciated.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You've got the concept, although avoid anything cheap so you know you're getting what you want.

Maybe this will help, it's from one of those LED bulb sites:

xyqY8mA.jpg

Associate
Hey chaps,looking to replace the H4 headlight bulbs in the MG3
Current ones are yellowish and are not very bright.

Im looking for the brightest ones from this list that are road legal,but confused by the (K)

cheers guys much appreciated.
if yours is anything like the near side headlamp on a mg6 I hope you haven’t got chubby arms.

The k is not the brightness it’s the warm ness whiteness of the light. 3400 is warm has a hologen tinge 5000 is daylight white, anything more than 5000 and your going blue.

brought some 5000k led gu down lights for the dining room it’s like eating in a hospital operating room makes your eyes feel funny until you get used to it

Soldato
On my previous car with HID's I'm sure they were 4200k from the factory which just gave that wonderful, white light. I don't know where the LED headlights on my current car sit.
Cannot think why you'd possibly want anything in the 5k+ area unless you're aiming for "chav blue"?

Don

Colour Temperature "K" has very little to do with actual brightness.

Lumens is generally what is used to measure brightness, but again actual output is rarely stated and even where it is, it can be manipulated (e.g. including invisible wavelengths of light).

Best bet is to reviews of bulbs, or recommendations from other owners of your car.

Personally I've always gone with mid range bulbs e.g. Halfords Advance +50% or Philips VisionPlus 60%,
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...vanced-up-to--50-percent-brighter-single-pack
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-0730529-12342VPS2-VisionPlus-Headlight/dp/B005L9EZ92
which are normally around the 3200k range, offer better brightness than "stock" bulbs, but without compromising the longevity (e.g. with some of the 130/150% bulbs they can last a matter of weeks)

Man of Honour
Normally the bluer the light the less lumens are actually output even though to the human eye it looks very bright due to the colour temp IIRC. This is talking normal bulbs rather than the retina burning led/xeons.

Back
Top Bottom