• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU market prices

Associate
been away from PC gaming for a while last time I checked In gpus where stupid money and 1070s where well over 500 pounds

has this madness stopped or has it continued with their new cards ?

can see 1070s for just over 200 now ? is that my best budget option ? ideally would like to be using 1440p

EDIT

is the 1070 the best budget card for 1440p?

dont know much about amd these days

Last edited:
Soldato
been away from PC gaming for a while last time I checked In gpus where stupid money and 1070s where well over 500 pounds

can see 1070s for just over 200 now ? is that my best budget option ? ideally would like to be using 1440p
Well the mining boom is over so there's that but the 2070 replacement the 1070 is around £450 to £500 so things really aren't any better, £500 for mid range graphics card is the new norm. I guess until AMD get's it act together on the GPU front and gives Nvidia something to think about.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, GPU's are going for a very good price now. The 970 took ages to fall below £200 on the used market because of the mining craze. The 1070 only took a fraction of the time and is a cracking deal

Soldato
The madness has kinda stopped. The mining boom is over, and the willingness to pay silly money for GPUs has evaporated. However, Nvidia seem to be doing their best to keep prices high(er than before the boom) with their new cards. Time will tell as to how well that strategy works out for them...

Soldato
Until AMD are competitive Nvidia aren't gonna drop prices. The Vega 7 was so disappointing IMO

If you get a decent one/if you improve the cooling (stock IS pretty poor)... theres 1 card (the 2080ti) beats it and 1-2 that equal it. I never quite understand the "disappointment". 20xx series, launched 27th September. Rad Vega VII launched 7th Feb. So... it's _only_ equal with the 2nd best card on the market, came 4.5 months later but the 20xx series is amazing and the rad vega VII is disappointing... I don't get it.

if the 20xx series is a "disappointment" too... that makes more sense.

Associate
I was hoping for more that's all, if you look at the Time spy thread for example there's plenty of 1080ti's out scoring it with the same CPU's (That cards been out for 2 years)
The 20 series is overpriced that's for sure

Associate
Well the mining boom is over so there's that but the 2070 replacement the 2070 is around £450 to £500 so things really aren't any better, £500 for mid range graphics card is the new norm I guess until AMD get's it act together on the GPU front and gives Nvidia something to think about.

It will be a long wait it will take AMD a least two generations to catch up and that is assuming they can do it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I was hoping for more that's all, if you look at the Time spy thread for example there's plenty of 1080ti's out scoring it with the same CPU's (That cards been out for 2 years)
The 20 series is overpriced that's for sure
You actually take 3DMark seriously? 3DMark is Nvidia biased mate and not to be taken seriously imo. Just a bit of fun. Always look at in game comparisons.

Soldato
If you get a decent one/if you improve the cooling (stock IS pretty poor)... theres 1 card (the 2080ti) beats it and 1-2 that equal it. I never quite understand the "disappointment". 20xx series, launched 27th September. Rad Vega VII launched 7th Feb. So... it's _only_ equal with the 2nd best card on the market, came 4.5 months later but the 20xx series is amazing and the rad vega VII is disappointing... I don't get it.

if the 20xx series is a "disappointment" too... that makes more sense.
You’ve answered your own question really. Two ‘If’s’ in your first sentence alone. What If you don’t get a good card what if you can’t/don’t improve cooling then your right back at stage one.

What if you buy a cheaper card with better performance and you don’t need to mod it?

Soldato

EVGA warranty in case it dies.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...92mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-31c-ea.html

Blessed nVidia have lowered your 1070 replacement by £20, and if you buy 2 that's a £40 saving.

Associate
Well the mining boom is over so there's that but the 2070 replacement the 2070 is around £450 to £500 so things really aren't any better, £500 for mid range graphics card is the new norm I guess until AMD get's it act together on the GPU front and gives Nvidia something to think about.

Is it actually true that Nvidia has a huge margin on these cards or is it just the end of Moore's law finally catching up with the GPU market? (Genuine question, I don't know the answer)

Back
Top Bottom