When was the last time you saw stars?

Soldato
Dark sky- Horsehead Nebula territory. Stunning to photograph. Visually it hard to see, on a very large scope 20” - 30” mirror it’s a smudge.

Pillars of Creation is my favourite visual object through a very big scope.

A girl I knows partner does a bit of amateur astrophotography , he puts up some of his photos on Facebook every so often, the horse head nebula , rosette nebula, m101 galaxy, great Orion Nebula ,western & eastern veil + various other galaxies , always awesome stuff

Soldato
A girl I knows partner does a bit of amateur astrophotography , he puts up some of his photos on Facebook every so often, the horse head nebula , rosette nebula, m101 galaxy, great Orion Nebula ,western & eastern veil + various other galaxies , always awesome stuff

All great objects.

I haven’t done any astrophotography. All my scopes have been big Dobsonians with goto and tracking but aren’t suited for taking photographs although it can be done.

Caporegime
We stay at Laverock Hall Farm in Eggleston. That was the first time I saw the Milky Way really clearly with the naked eye, was absolutely mind blowing.

I know those cottages! Small world. And yeah, being able to go out on a clear crisp night here and see the milkway with your naked eye always blows me away

Soldato
I know those cottages! Small world. And yeah, being able to go out on a clear crisp night here and see the milkway with your naked eye always blows me away
Cool! Every time we go up there I convince myself we’re going to buy a house in Romaldkirk. But when I get back I realise the commute to Sheffield would be a bit much!

Caporegime
The only time I'm regularly out at night is when I'm digging in the woods. And normally I'm trying to be as quick as possible, so don't really get much chance to appreciate the sky. The trees and nice and thick so I wouldn't see much anyhow.

Caporegime
Cool! Every time we go up there I convince myself we’re going to buy a house in Romaldkirk. But when I get back I realise the commute to Sheffield would be a bit much!

Romaldkirk which repeatedly gets voted as the most desirable place to live in the UK. Houses aren't cheap there. There is a £50k+ premium to live in that village. Good pubs though.

Caporegime
The only time I'm regularly out at night is when I'm digging in the woods. And normally I'm trying to be as quick as possible, so don't really get much chance to appreciate the sky. The trees and nice and thick so I wouldn't see much anyhow.

Disposing of dead bodies?????? :eek:

Soldato
On a clear night, I can see a surprising amount of stars, given that I live in a suburban area, with a dual carriageway close by. But nowhere near as many as can be seen rurally.

Soldato

Can’t beat a good spade.

Caporegime
To be fair, even without the 20s exposure you can see an incredible amount of stars once you have your night vision in a dark skies area. The place where I shot that is registered almost as dark as Kielder.

I think there is a test with looking at the plough. 4 to 5 stars visible within the square is a poor area whereas in dark areas you can see 20 stars with just your eyes.

Fair game.

I can see the plough, have taken pics of Jupiter and Saturn through my telescope, but can't see stars within the plough :p

Associate
In my 20's while on leave from the USAF a buddy and me went on a 30 day driving trip. We planned on camping as much as possible to save money. Our first night on the road we were up in the mountains of Colorado, in the middle of nowhere. We found a campsite and since it was August and the weather was good we didn't bother with a tent.

I will never forget lying on top of a sleeping bag and staring at the night sky. Pure magic!

Back
Top Bottom