When was the last time you saw stars?

Soldato
All the surrounding villages are nice and much cheaper though. They have still rocketed in the 20 years I have been here though. Everywhere used to be cheap.
Oh they are all lovely. I bet it’s an amazing place to live. Really liked the Tees Valley as well when we went walking there. When I win the lottery, I’m gonna up there in a flash.

Soldato
A good test for light pollution. Locate the constellation of Orion and count how many stars you can see inside the main quadrilateral of the body including the stars of the belt and sword.

For me in Brum, genuinely all I can see and count are the belt and sword, no other star is visible. The light pollution from the greater West Midlands conurbation is appalling :(

Soldato
I knew you would appear Wez and Trump is all. The skies are amazing in NZ

You know what? I don't take advantage of it either, i could be getting some stunning astrophotography with my gear, and the view from my house, but by the time i get home from work at night, i really cannot be bothered setting up my gear and taking long exposure shots. One day i might consider it! I think come July, we get the core of the milky way at around 9pm, it might be worth it then :D

Soldato
I used to go to the new forest but its still quite polluted there now, I then had an observatory in the garden for photography, as I live the other side of the water from Portsmouth the light pollution is terrible but I used to image using narrowband filters which only filter through specific wavelengths of light allowing great astrophotography from light polluted areas. Now when I go on holiday usually in Snowdonia I like to sit outside and watch the sky on a clear night.

Caporegime
Fortunately I've lived in the Highlands and now Cyprus. I've seen the stars most nights, and now moving to the Midlands I wish I'd spent more time gazing. I'm going to seriously miss it.

Back
Top Bottom