• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who remembers this!

Associate
ATI X1900XTX the daddy back in the day! just been going through my PC box and found a few items,

X800XT
X1900XTX
GTX580

and they all work!

accounting for inflation this card today would be 600 plus!

I still remember this scenario, the X1800XT was released first as a top line card and then a month later the X1900XTX which was faster came out. sounded like a dyson on steroids but was the fastest GFX card when released.

Associate
I remember that too the peeps who bought the X1800XT were spitting feathers when the x1900xt came out. I think this was my first graphics card 3dfx voodoo 2 followed by a ELSA GLADIAC, GeForce 2 GTS. From memory they both went pop. With those cards still working you have done really well :D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had the X800 Pro Vivo (I think it was called that anyway). Unfortunately, I recall not being all that impressed with it but I reckon my CPU was holding it back quite significantly, especially when you consider that generally, it seemed to be well received by other users.

I remember wanting a X1900 card but never did get one. I think I jumped ship and went with my first Nvidia card in years, which was a GTX7800 256mb. Very good card.

Associate
OP
I remember that too the peeps who bought the X1800XT were spitting feathers when the x1900xt came out. I think this was my first graphics card 3dfx voodoo 2 followed by a ELSA GLADIAC, GeForce 2 GTS. From memory they both went pop. With those cards still working you have done really well :D.

they sure were spitting feathers lol and more, such a strange thing to happen.

I had the X800 Pro Vivo (I think it was called that anyway). Unfortunately, I recall not being all that impressed with it but I reckon my CPU was holding it back quite significantly, especially when you consider that generally, it seemed to be well received by other users.

I remember wanting a X1900 card but never did get one. I think I jumped ship and went with my first Nvidia card in years, which was a GTX7800 256mb. Very good card.

And yea the x800pro could be turned into the XT with a silver pen on some cards. some were lucky with this mod. nothing like that now, the GPU chips are factory disabled these days. although vega 56's can run V64 bios to unleash some more grunt.

Man of Honour
Had a 7950GX2 about that time - another monstrosity of a card.

And yea the x800pro could be turned into the XT with a silver pen on some cards. some were lucky with this mod. nothing like that now, the GPU chips are factory disabled these days. although vega 56's can run V64 bios to unleash some more grunt.

Yeah there were a lot of cards you could pen/pencil mod or unlock pipelines, etc. back then the 6800s were another popular one for doing that.

Permabanned
What is "licensed for limited viewing uses only"? The card can be used for other interesting things?

At that time, I had the X1600Pro. A great card but for some weird reason, I got some freezes on my socket 939 motherboard, and from the warranty service changed it to a 8500GT - the worst crap card that could exist.

Caporegime
that must have been loud in crossfire, a single card was like a leaf blower.

Wasn't the quietest for sure, and the weird cable you had to hookup with crossfire version of a card was a bit of an annoyance. Was much younger at the time so the noise didn't bother me as much :p

Associate
OP
Wasn't the quietest for sure, and the weird cable you had to hookup with crossfire version of a card was a bit of an annoyance. Was much younger at the time so the noise didn't bother me as much :p

and I thought people went more deaf with age :p bit like me :rolleyes:

Just had to include this, a vaporchill unit, AMD barton 2500 NF7s BH5 ram. 2400mhz woohoo in the day that was good, then replaced that with a lanparty board, what happened to lanparty?

Last edited:
Associate
what a classic!

I need to go into the loft and look at my old tech, the wife tries to get me to bin it but i refuse
Same here. I still have an Orchid Righteous 3dFX card in a box in the loft, along with it's successor a Matrox G400 Max, plus motherboards, various drives and cases.
I can't part with it.

Associate
OP
Just dug out my old GTX690 now that was a power hungry beast, 2 of them sli and you would need 600w just for the GFX cards lol

what a classic!

I need to go into the loft and look at my old tech, the wife tries to get me to bin it but i refuse

no no the old tech will become antique one day tell her lol

I see quite a few retro gaming machines online, might do me one.

Back
Top Bottom