Oil change - mileage or time based?

Man of Honour
The additives in engine oil do degrade over time (probably more so in cheap oils). It should be changed every year really even if you aren't hitting the mileage.

Why do you think you know better than people who design engines and oils for a living?

Soldato
Lol, I know someone had a car for 7 years which only got services 3 times during that time. Whatever anything the car manual or someone represent the industry tell you to do is either they have been told by someone who has been told by someone else who had vested interest in making money out of you.

That car was a Toyota scarlet. It finally went it’s way as the spark plugs were gone and the gasket were leaking resulted in moisture getting into the engine too expensive to fix for a motor that worth less than breakage cost.

If its using the same logic as the Audi then firstly you have choice of fixed interval or variable interval. This should be set based on your driving type.

As its come up with a distance its probably set to variable. This can cause some odd timing depending on the model. As there are interim and main services they can get out of line.
On the TTs people often skip the oil change and just have the larger services. As the oil one can end up happening just before a main one. My oil service has just come on saying (now) 700 miles. So I need to book that soon, I fully expect the main service to be within 6 months now, so I may well just do the skip thing and ask for both at the same time, some dealers can be funny (one I know was trying to tell a friend he must do them separately), but nothing can stop you over servicing.

getting back to the oil thing, the first google response seems to backup Nasher this time.
https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18...uQpHoWSGEjda-xfDEufECM7iIE_y50xtfEk5edyhBeifx

Its not the oil breaking down, its potentially the other additives failing to do what they are supposed to do. Like anything how its been stored, whether its opened etc will have far more bearing than specifically the date on it.
Suspect like most things its a very conservative manufacturers date based on worst case. And like most of these sorts of thing they rarely happen over night. Oil thats a month past its use by is still going to be better than one from 20 years ago, likewise its not going to be that much worse than a bottle thats a month newer.

Caporegime
Beer does go off though, I've drank more than one bad bottle of beer which on further inspection was well past it's BBE date.

if stored in a cool dark area (fridge) beer can last for 2+ years but the dates on them these days are for a few months. it's given a short life so places who sell to the public can't sell them and have to buy more stock than they get through on slow movers or bad stock rotation.

or if a pub overstocks for christmas and have some leftover now they can't sell it on as it's short dated.

the dates on a lot of stuff these days is a lot lower than what it should be. was your beer stored in front of a sunny window or the seal questionable?

in fact IPA was designed to withstand long term storage.

Caporegime
I don’t need to google this sort of thing.

There is no shelf life on un opened engine oil. Indeed the time limit in service is mainly to get the car into the dealer to check other items too. Water build up sat in the sump is probably the biggest risk due to corrosion on cars that don’t drive a lot (oil and water like to separate). Additives do not go off, they are not food bacteria.

Soldato

There is no shelf life on un opened engine oil. Indeed the time limit in service is mainly to get the car into the dealer to check other items too. Water build up sat in the sump is probably the biggest risk due to corrosion on cars that don’t drive a lot (oil and water like to separate). Additives do not go off, they are not food bacteria.
I'm going to throw this question in here as the OP has been answered;

After each service I have a litre left which I keep for top ups... which I never need. Would I be safe combining this oil (with a new 1L top up bottle) for my next oil change? I've combined it into one container but it is effectively a litre from my last three services in 2016, 2017 and 2018. My oil is cheap so cost isn't a factor but it feels environmentally wrong tipping unused oil in the tank at the dump if it is safe to use.

Soldato
back on original thread, the choice to replace your oil is based on balance between the cost (yours or the dealers time/oil) and the depreciation/impact on the cars life(is it just a PCP obligation, or a based on long term ownership intention considering useage profile) -
eg. if the total cost&labour is <£40 ie 1/2 tank fuel, and it's your car, you want to keep for 6+ years versus stealer cost as part of a service £100, and. it's pcp'd.

Soldato
OP
Well, this has taken a rather informative turn :D
The car will be mine and will come with 1 SEAT warranty with any Seat dealer. The agreement was that the next full service will be free and I'm assuming an oil change does not count as a full service. The reason I asked the original question was because I didn't want SEAT to come back down the line with "you didn't follow the car servicing pattern" and deny any warranty claim if it's ever needed in the next year.

I will get a clearer answer when I have another look at the service history focusing on mileage/service back in September 2018 and ask the dealer the same question. My initial guess is the "change oil in 700 miles" message is to do with an interim service which coincides with 6 months since last full service but will confirm on Thursday.

Well, this has taken a rather informative turn :D
The car will be mine and will come with 1 SEAT warranty with any Seat dealer. The agreement was that the next full service will be free and I'm assuming an oil change does not count as a full service. The reason I asked the original question was because I didn't want SEAT to come back down the line with "you didn't follow the car servicing pattern" and deny any warranty claim if it's ever needed in the next year.

I will get a clearer answer when I have another look at the service history focusing on mileage/service back in September 2018 and ask the dealer the same question. My initial guess is the "change oil in 700 miles" message is to do with an interim service which coincides with 6 months since last full service but will confirm on Thursday.

That sounds like the fixed service interval

Man of Honour

I assume time based intervals are to also combat oil dilution issues which is going to happen at an accelerated rate with cars that do fewer miles due to more time spent with the oil below operating temperature?

Caporegime
I'm going to throw this question in here as the OP has been answered;

After each service I have a litre left which I keep for top ups... which I never need. Would I be safe combining this oil (with a new 1L top up bottle) for my next oil change? I've combined it into one container but it is effectively a litre from my last three services in 2016, 2017 and 2018. My oil is cheap so cost isn't a factor but it feels environmentally wrong tipping unused oil in the tank at the dump if it is safe to use.

Yes no problem especially if it’s the same spec and ideally manufacturer. Obviously in today’s world everyone is only buying British made oil right ? :)

Caporegime
I assume time based intervals are to also combat oil dilution issues which is going to happen at an accelerated rate with cars that do fewer miles due to more time spent with the oil below operating temperature?
Yes and oil dilution of diesels especially those with DPF regens pouring fuel in. but 5k a year might just be several long motorway trips rather than <10 mile trips.

Last service on M3 was 9k/2yrs but unknown driving (previous owner) so will be interesting how the oil looks this time. It’s a huge topic on M3 forums due to the V8/V10 rod bearing concerns.

Evoque needed a oil change as the ecu flagged the need due to dpf regen counts so the oil change is purely to get rid of fuel which impacts viscosity/ protection.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
And I never said they wouldn't, but your typical car owner will not be servicing it themselves. And you've just proven my point wrt a complex sequence of steps to reset the interval. It's done this way so your typical user can't accidentally reset it thinking it might have been the clock or something.

We have different definitions of complex, I think :)

Back
Top Bottom