Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Photo of myself (right hand side) and my twin brother post Brighton Marathon!

2rcvntl.jpg

Did a slow 3 miles today, legs felt like lead........

Last edited:
Associate
That's a great photo! I did an easy 30 minutes today, felt ok.

Wierd thing with marathon running. I always lose the toe nail on my right foot, middle toe. I can happily run 21/22 mile training runs and get no pain or nail damage. Increase that to 26 miles, run faster, and my toe comes back battered and the toe nail subsequently falls off. Wierd.

Soldato
That's a great photo! I did an easy 30 minutes today, felt ok.

Wierd thing with marathon running. I always lose the toe nail on my right foot, middle toe. I can happily run 21/22 mile training runs and get no pain or nail damage. Increase that to 26 miles, run faster, and my toe comes back battered and the toe nail subsequently falls off. Wierd.
Yes both my toes right next to my big toe are bruised and swollen!

Associate
Only a few days from London Marathon now. The weather looks like it's going to be pretty good, Sunny with light winds and up to 15 degrees.

I'm going up to the expo tomorrow and will be there the same time as Eluid Kipchoge is doing a Q&A so I'll try and get along to see that.

I'm starting in the Green pen race number 24109. Hoping to finish 3:30>3:40 I'd love to go under 3:30 but not confident I've got the endurance in the later stages.

Soldato
Only a few days from London Marathon now. The weather looks like it's going to be pretty good, Sunny with light winds and up to 15 degrees.

I'm going up to the expo tomorrow and will be there the same time as Eluid Kipchoge is doing a Q&A so I'll try and get along to see that.

I'm starting in the Green pen race number 24109. Hoping to finish 3:30>3:40 I'd love to go under 3:30 but not confident I've got the endurance in the later stages.
Best of luck with the London Marathon Neil! Is this your first one or are you a veteran?

Associate
Best of luck with the London Marathon Neil! Is this your first one or are you a veteran?

Thank you. It's my second Marathon, so I'm by no means experienced at the distance but have an idea of what to expect. First one was last September which was 60% off-road and hillier which finished in 3:44

Caporegime
Good luck to all doing London!

Well, every runners worst nightmare came teue. I'm diagnosed with a stress fracture of lower tibia, no running for 6 weeks.

Came from no where just as I peaked and started taper. No warning signs. Haven't done anything different in training, haven't pushed volume or workouts harder. Doctors measured a discrepency in leg length which is a contributing factor but he admitted there is no clear evidence if custom for bed would help so is just an internet risk. I'm also getting done blood tests done as ththe may be a calcium's by vitamin D deficiency. I do have a dairy rich diet so it may be domethsom else that is leaching nutrients.

Frustrating because this was s very consistent training cycle that I was just cruising through without forcing. They say it is better to get to the start line 98% trained and healthy than overshooting to 102% and being injured or overtrained. I take that philosophy seriously. This cycle I feel like I was more like at 95% of training potential but the fee keu fitness tests indicated I was exceeding my marathon fitness goals. But I didn't feel like getting greedy and carried on. I didn't run more volumei ran less quality workouts, I had zero niggles, no pains, no aches, nothing. None of my earlier issues with hip flexors or plantar fascitis. I felt incredibly strong and healthy. The ttstrain load indicated I was training optimally, if anything undershooting potential. I've been bjbu at weekends so have tslen additional rest days and had slightly short weeks than in the past.
I have done several marathon cycles where I shave had to make a more careful balance and pull back , skipping workouts more frewfreque in respond to niggles in joints etc., And got to the start line healthy and happy i weaved s delicate path and listened to my body. This cycle I had zero iddue and wss estatic training was going perfectly without forcing it. Then bam, I just can't run.

Literally I felt slightly fatigued and muscles tight for a few days. Normally I rrcorec after 1-2 easy days but the d time I didn't. No pain, no ache, no niggle. But I thought it would be smart to take a rest day and then go back with a slow recovery run. I éoterlite thought I would take 1day off running and be back at it (albeit no workout goes few days). But next day after rest day things seemed worse do I skipped running, next day worse again and again. Then I knew something was wrong. Was annoying going through useless doctors but in the end got to see an official sports Dr of the Olympic team. Will be working with him on rehab.

So, now I'm drinking at a bar of s hotel at the excel center . Might pick up my shirt and donate to charity before heading down town for drinks.

First serious injury and first DNS in ,5 years of running. Last injury of any kind was 2 years ago and was't really running related (twisted ankle in rocky path) in the last 2 years barely a niggle.

Associate
First serious injury and first DNS in ,5 years of running. Last injury of any kind was 2 years ago and was't really running related (twisted ankle in rocky path) in the last 2 years barely a niggle.

Ah DP that is just so unlucky. You help loads of people on here with your advice, I really feel for you. I presume you can defer to next year. Take the 6 weeks break and then come back strong.

Caporegime
Ah DP that is just so unlucky. You help loads of people on here with your advice, I really feel for you. I presume you can defer to next year. Take the 6 weeks break and then come back strong.

I've deferred until next year. The worry now is being in any kind of shape for my summer ultras.

The frustrating thing is there were no warning signs at all. Felt like the best ever training cycle and I never pushed my training to new levels, just stuck with the same volume and workouts of the last 4 years . I had slightly less volume and fewer quality sessions yet felt my fitness was well on target.

Back
Top Bottom