• Mane

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Sterling

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 60 69.8%

• Total voters
Don
A bit late for this thread as it's already being reported that Van Dijk will be announced the winner tomorrow but here's the nominations for Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year:

Aguero
Bernardo
Hazard
Mane
Sterling
Van Dijk

Alexander-Arnold
Bernardo
Brooks
Rice
Rashford
Sterling

And yes, it's mad that 24 year olds can be nominated for the Young Player of the Year award. It'll be Van Dijk and Sterling.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
It's definitely between Sterling and Van Dijk for me, they've both had brilliant seasons for differing reasons, yet both are the main reason (imo) that both teams are where they are today.

Van Dijk has transformed a defensive line, Sterling has proved so many doubters wrong since the summer, for the amount of crap he gets in the press I'm glad he's had a brilliant run of form.

Man of Honour
Van djik has won it according to various sources, quite right too. Sterling will have the young player award , which as you rightly say is ridiculous given his age and number seasons of playing

Man of Honour
They mentioned this on the Guardian football weekly podcast, but in a purely footballing sense it has to be Van Dijk. That said Sterling has had a good season on and off the pitch, head says Van Dijk heart says Sterling.

Soldato
I would have gone with Van Dijk myself, Sterling has had a great season and is much improved under Pep, though there is still some of 'missing the sitter' that I seem him still doing.

Man of Honour
Think VVD is fair, no better CB around and he's transformed Liverpool's defence and mentality to a degree.

Man of Honour
For me, part of it is also the players personality, VVD strikes me as a fairly honest, decent sort of guy, whereas for some reason Sterling still comes across to me as a whiny, nasty attitude sort of guy.

Soldato
Got to be VVD, Sterling has had a good season but he hasn't transformed City like VVD has Liverpool.

Agreed that it's madness that young player of the year has to start the season 23, should reduce that to 20.

Don
OP
PFA Team of the Year: Ederson, TAA, Van Dijk, Laporte, Robertson, Fernandinho, Bernardo, Pogba, Mane, Sterling, Aguero.

Ederson and Pogba have hugely benefitted from the lack of brain power of your average footballer. Alisson's been far and away the best keeper in the league this year, making over 30% more saves to goals conceded than Ederson (even Lloris has out performerd Ederson), including making a higher percentage of 'harder' saves too. For Pogba to get picked ahead of David Silva, Eriksen, Wijnaldum, Kante and even Xhaka is a **** take though. The likes of Salah and Hazard will feel hard done by but at least you can make a claim for the the players that have been picked ahead of them.

Caporegime
Hazard should have been in that team.

What would interest me more is a team made up from players outside the top 6. Then maybe awesome players like Jimenez, Doucoure, Fraser, Maddison etc would actually get the recognition they deserve.

Caporegime
For me, part of it is also the players personality, VVD strikes me as a fairly honest, decent sort of guy, whereas for some reason Sterling still comes across to me as a whiny, nasty attitude sort of guy.

He is a great guy he never forced a move away from celtic like a few players of recent have done or tried to do (dembele and boyata).

When we discovered him in his first training session the gaffer said to him afterwards just enjoy yourself here you won't be here long. He then played several seasons and never forced a move when Southampton came knocking the 20% sell on clause was a must though as we sold him for buttons compared to his true value even back then. His quality above everyone else was shown time and time again he was on cruise control in our squad which dominated mostly everything domestically.

I've said it before we have 2-3 players who would easily start for EPL teams one which would start for a top 6 team any day of the week (Tierney) apart from maybe Liverpool as they have Robertson who is on a similar level. I with the premier league would allow us to join rather than just be a feeder to the EPL. Wanyama, Forster, Ledley, Ki Sung Yung, Matthews plus a few others have all played in the premier league after us of recent.

As good as Van Dijk is he will never compare to Larsson in the niceness or quality of player category unless he wins a champions league medal.

Soldato
PFA team of the year should have had Alisson instead of Ederson, Eriksen instead of Pogba, and Hazard instead of Mane imo, the rest of it I agree with. Personally although I think Mane has been excellent I don't think he's been as vital to Liverpool as Hazard has to Chelsea.

Don
OP
PFA team of the year should have had Alisson instead of Ederson, Eriksen instead of Pogba, and Hazard instead of Mane imo, the rest of it I agree with. Personally although I think Mane has been excellent I don't think he's been as vital to Liverpool as Hazard has to Chelsea.
Without questioning Hazard's inclusion, I'm not too sure about your thinking behind it. Chelsea collectively being poorer than Liverpool shouldn't be used against Mane. You can make cases for the front 3 that were picked plus Hazard and Salah, the timing of the votes played a big part on which 3 actually made it though. IINM voting is usually carried out in February/March time which coincided with Mane, Aguero and Sterling seemingly scoring ever week. I'd have gone with Salah, Sterling and Hazard.

Soldato
Without questioning Hazard's inclusion, I'm not too sure about your thinking behind it. Chelsea collectively being poorer than Liverpool shouldn't be used against Mane. You can make cases for the front 3 that were picked plus Hazard and Salah, the timing of the votes played a big part on which 3 actually made it though. IINM voting is usually carried out in February/March time which coincided with Mane, Aguero and Sterling seemingly scoring ever week. I'd have gone with Salah, Sterling and Hazard.

Yeah I think you're right, the voting is done some time in February I believe, which would explain the front three. I think Sterling is an absolute no-brainer, the other two you could definitely make arguments for others being picked instead of them.

Back
Top Bottom