Draytek 2762ac vs 2862ac

Associate
I currently need a new router for my small business premises as my broadband/VOIP supplier suspects that the network may be causing issues with the dropouts in service. The line has recently been repaired and checked by Openreach and the drops only occur during opening times, suggesting something in use is causing instability - I would not be surprised if the TP Link router used as a wireless access point has got something to do with it. So, one step at a time, I am going to upgrade my network equipment to try and locate the problem.

I would like opinions on which router would be more suitable for my situation. I have 3 PCs, 3 VOIP phones, a POS card payment machine, Hive hub and a CCTV NVR, all connected by Ethernet. There are up to 4 devices connected by WiFi at any one time, 1 being a rarely used printer. Any future expansion would only include 1 further phone and 1-2 PCs.

As I don’t require any advanced settings such as VPN but do require stability and ability to process VOIP data, I was leaning towards the 2762ac as I feel the 2862ac would be overkill. However if the 2862ac would clearly be the better option I would be willing to stump the extra cash.

Opinions please!

Associate
OP
Is it possible that a drop in the internet connection could be caused by a service dialling out? It was suggested but I thought this would be very unlikely.

The ISP-supplied modem/router is a Cisco 800 series. This is a managed router so I have no access to any settings, which is partly why a router upgrade would be beneficial. The TP Link Archer that I had running the network would not function correctly with the IP phones. If the 2762ac would be suitable for this then I would be happy - alternative suggestions welcomed!

Soldato
Are you wanting to replace the Cisco or add another router to it?

What sort of connection is it?

Is it definitely the WAN connection that's dropping? You wouldn't expect anything you're going on the LAN to cause the WAN to drop. It could be something environmental.

I've found DrayTek routers to be a good SME option but have only ever used 28nn and 2900 series models. I've never used one with internal wireless either.

Associate
The ISP-supplied modem/router is a Cisco 800 series. This is a managed router so I have no access to any settings, which is partly why a router upgrade would be beneficial. The TP Link Archer that I had running the network would not function correctly with the IP phones. If the 2762ac would be suitable for this then I would be happy - alternative suggestions welcomed!

I have a few Draytek 2762ac at work installed in small offices with BT Business VDSL and they work fine. Reliable and they won't have any problems working with your IP phones.

Associate
OP
The broadband connection is from Gamma Telecom via a 3rd party and is FTTC VDSL. It runs into the Cisco 800 series router, which is managed remotely. Currently this is also providing routing services although this is not ideal from a LAN perspective - I would prefer to run the Cisco in bridge mode simply to provide the WAN connection.

It is definitely the WAN connection dropping, my provider has verified this, but can also show it is only during the working day. This points to some kind of interference but it is a process of elimination as to what this is. Perhaps connecting the line directly to the Draytek may be a possibility to rule out the Cisco as the problem.

Associate
It is definitely the WAN connection dropping, my provider has verified this, but can also show it is only during the working day. This points to some kind of interference but it is a process of elimination as to what this is. Perhaps connecting the line directly to the Draytek may be a possibility to rule out the Cisco as the problem.

Can you pull the line stats from the Cisco and post them?

Associate
OP
This is the detail I have been provided:

s!AvZMI0--dmE6g-16tz2-1YAynFKHmQ

Edit: if image isn’t showing: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvZMI0--dmE6g-16tz2-1YAynFKHmQ

Associate
OP
There’s no phone plugged in at all. Everything is routed via the broadband connection and it should have enough bandwidth to cope with pretty much anything.

Should the 2762ac be able to cope with the LAN connections that I have listed above? Whilst I appreciate the 2862ac is a full-blown business router, I have no requirement for the vast majority of its features, just the need for stability that I cannot be guaranteed with a basic home router. The 2862ac is nearly double the cost of the 2762ac, a not inconsiderable jump in price!

Soldato
An analogue phone is a useful test tool. It's worth plugging one in to check for line noise and the like.

Any competent router would handle what you're doing.

Caporegime
Re: Draytek kit - their routers have a garbage UI and a non-existent CLI, are overpriced and at least used to require a reboot for really minor changes. However, once you wrestle into getting them set up they tend to be stable.

The service you have is Gamma Converged, which provides QoS for SIP traffic to Gamma's own servers. If you want to have a public IP presented on your own router then you need to ask your provider to open a support case with Gamma to move to a relaxed firewall configuration, and you'll need to sign a waiver that says you're now responsible for the security of devices on your network.

If the DSL sync is dropping on a managed service then don't swap the router to fix it, keep pushing back to the provider, as that's the reason you pay for a managed service. If you have their router connected straight into a filtered master socket then there's no reason any charges should be incurred to get it fixed. I'd push for an Openreach visit and keep going until the problem is solved - Gamma will not have to pay if their own equipment is not at fault and you've already ruled out internal wiring issues by connecting directly to the master socket. The interface statistics being reported back from the Cisco router are not going to be any use in detecting outside interference sources, this needs an engineer with test equipment.

Last edited:
Soldato
They do require too many reboots for seemingly minor changes.

The UI isn't great but gets the job done and is at least consistent across models. For their target market, I don't see the lack of a CLI as a particular problem. You can do everything via the UI once you've worked out where they've hidden it.

They used to be rather underpowered, and it took them too long to bring out models that'd handle reasonable throughputs.

They are pretty flexible and very stable. If something is down you don't automatically think that it's the router that needs rebooting again. The last one I installed has now been in for over 12 months without a restart and hasn't caused any problems.

Caporegime
Eh once you've used a serial console to get into a device that you fluffed up a configuration on and used that access to fix it rather than having to wipe and start over, you'll want one on everything you touch.

Associate
Nothing wrong with draytek its very good for SMB and works very well with VOIP.

Your provider should be able to get the DSL login details from the gamma portal and then you can try the draytek directly on the line to see if thats any better. (keep the cisco to one side as they'll want it back)

Associate
OP
Just as an update, purchased and installed the Draytek 2862n (didn't bother with the extra £40 or so for the ac version). Relatively straightforward to set up, although I did fail my first PCI DSS security scan with it as the VPN settings required fine tuning - so many settings, so little time! Very powerful but very complex!

I have still kept it in series with the Cisco managed router and, so far, the dropouts have dropped in frequency and duration, perhaps as hardware has improved at my end the connection is now settling down. So I would definitely recommend the Draytek 2862n as a good piece of kit (although I do admit the number of restarts required for simple settings changing is amusingly high!).

One question would be whether a UPS would help. Reason being, if power fluctuates at my end for the routers, whether this would cause variations in the connection and therefore a filtered power supply for the modem/router may provide a more stable connection. Also I am aware that the data/phone line can be run through the UPS and whether this filtering might help also?

Associate
One question would be whether a UPS would help. Reason being, if power fluctuates at my end for the routers, whether this would cause variations in the connection and therefore a filtered power supply for the modem/router may provide a more stable connection. Also I am aware that the data/phone line can be run through the UPS and whether this filtering might help also?

I've got the majority of Draytek's at work connected via a UPS. I don't use the phone line filtering as I believe it negatively impacts VDSL connections. Given the amount of kit you have it's probably worth getting one as they aren't expensive.

Back
Top Bottom