Is anybody with Green Flag?

Soldato
My breakdown cover is up for renewal. Greenflag are cheaper than AA and RAC (even when you factor in Quidco discounts for AA and RAC).

Anybody with Greenflag? How are they?

Soldato
I am, Through Direct line.

Only used them once, They came along with a Pick up and carried our car to the local garage. Then it had a nice new gearbox and clutch fitted.

Soldato
Funny you mention this; I had to get my car picked up by Green Flag on Monday after the brakes failed. They arrived at 9am, inspected the car and said that a flat bed needs to take it to the garage due to it being an automatic. So I told them to collect it at 4pm and phoned them several times to confirm this; every time they said it was still on for 4pm. At half 4 they then told me that they wouldn't be there until half 5. They eventually arrived at 8pm after continually lying to me on the whereabouts of the truck to pick me up. At half 5 they claimed the truck was already at the scene (which it wasn't), and then at 7pm they said it would be 10 minutes max.
I opened a complaint against them and they have refunded the cost of my policy (£104). I told the recovery guy from Mansfield Recovery about what had happened and his exact words were "stick with Green Flag because they are all as bad as each other".

Man of Honour
I've got cover with them through my bank account and I've used them a few times. They've turned up when they said they would and got me where I needed to be. However they do use local breakdown services to supply much of their service as I understand it so it may depend on your local area how good you find then.

Soldato
I know my folks have used GF for a number of years,c although i don't think they've yet had the need to call them out.

My interpretation of GF vs AA/RAC is that with AA/RAC being significantly bigger / more vans etc, then potentially you'd be waiting less time. Yes i know people will say that AA/RAC likely has a much larger customer base too. I'd say it's just a gamble.

I'm using my car less and less these days, so i'm tempted on the next renewal to see what GF can offer.

Man of Honour
I used Green Flag once, they left me to die of hypothermia on a country lane at Christmas time a couple of years back unluckily for them I'm fat so lasted slightly longer than they expected.

Soldato
I have Green Flag breakdown through my bank account. I have used the cover 4 or 5 times, assisted by both Greenflag fleet staff and contractors. I have to say the service has been faultless. One time I got a tyre puncture 5 minutes into a 2.5 hour journey home at 21:00 on a Sunday, great! They turned up within 15 minutes of the call and towed me, my passenger and the car all the way home. I would recommend :)

Soldato
Why? monthly costs more...

What happens after the year, do they just issue you with a new monthly price?

I can decide if I'm happy with the service and cancel any time. If another provider does a promotion I can jump ship.

I have no idea what happens after the year, but yes I imagine a price rise will come along at some point.

Soldato
I can decide if I'm happy with the service and cancel any time. If another provider does a promotion I can jump ship.

I have no idea what happens after the year, but yes I imagine a price rise will come along at some point.

Ah i assumed they'd tie you in for a 12 month minimum contract. But just had the monthly option as a cheaper up-front cost.

Soldato
My RAC membership is due for renewal next month and they're quoting me £135!

Called my insurance company (Privilege) and they've added on break down cover for £50.40!

Might be worth your while contacting your insurance company OP and see if they can offer anything?

Back
Top Bottom