Taking 8 month old baby on holiday

NVP

NVP

Soldato
My wife is pushing hard that we go on holiday abroad with our first child, he is 6 weeks old now and will be 4/5 months old when the time she suggests arrives.. I'm glad i found this thread because I'm secretly dreading it.
At the moment he has spells of high pitched screaming due to trapped gas or reflux, which we can only resolve %50 of the time, the other times takes hours to calm him down with impossible combinations of experimenting.

I have this image of him screaming in the train to the airport, screaming a bit in the airport, screaming on the plane, screaming from the plane to the hotel, screaming in the hotel and at some point every day until the same thing on the way home.
Obivously I dont think he will scream all the time at these sections, but for 30 minutes is enough to make it a horrible nightmare in my mind, when at home at least no one else has to be subjected to it and everything we could possibly need is there to hand including a comfortable bed which wouldnt be possible at all of the above points until the hotel at the end.

Am i being too anxious about it all or as i suspect pretty close to the experience we will be getting in to?
I don't know how my wife thinks that he will change suddenly just because we are on holiday, and i tried telling her i think its a bad idea.
Thoughts?
It's hard with reflux and/or colic, but trust me by 4/5 months old it should be mostly gone and he will be much less screamy and much more awake and alert. Poor kid.

Look forward to the break.

Caporegime
I wonder how many of the people in this thread who are dead against babies flying are actually parents?

Gotta love parenting advice from others :D

A good pair of noise cancelling headphones usually does the trick

I am a parent of one with another on the way. Whoever is saying that taking a toddler/baby on holiday doesn't effect the holiday is simply going to some complex for 14 nights moving ten feet from the pool. Whenever we go on holiday it is to see the sights and culture. Unfortunately unlike the UK most places we visit are not very kiddy friendly which makes things even more difficult.

I will use the example I mentioned previously. We did the Samaria Gorge hike in Crete last year. Firstly you are stuck in a sweaty small bus for near on two hours. Then you are greeted with a 16k trek which takes a good 4-6 hours. Not the hardest thing in the world but with a toddler/baby would have been a absolute nightmare. Our ten year old on the other hand had no problem and hopefully will take some meaningful experience from it.

If you are going to spend your entire holiday on some complex you might as well save a load of money and take your children to Bultins etc and save a load of money.

Caporegime
I would gladly pay a premium for flights that were guaranteed to have no screaming infants on them, I have no desire to have my vacations book-ended by hours of screeching in a confined space. As this currently isn't an option, I prefer taking holidays in places that don't require flying :p
Fly business class then

Associate
I am a parent of one with another on the way. Whoever is saying that taking a toddler/baby on holiday doesn't effect the holiday is simply going to some complex for 14 nights moving ten feet from the pool. Whenever we go on holiday it is to see the sights and culture. Unfortunately unlike the UK most places we visit are not very kiddy friendly which makes things even more difficult.

I will use the example I mentioned previously. We did the Samaria Gorge hike in Crete last year. Firstly you are stuck in a sweaty small bus for near on two hours. Then you are greeted with a 16k trek which takes a good 4-6 hours. Not the hardest thing in the world but with a toddler/baby would have been a absolute nightmare. Our ten year old on the other hand had no problem and hopefully will take some meaningful experience from it.

If you are going to spend your entire holiday on some complex you might as well save a load of money and take your children to Bultins etc and save a load of money.

I think there's quite a range of holidays that fit between staying in a complex and hiking through a gorge. I guess people who stay in a resort might also go on holiday for the weather? People's tolerance varies too. I've seen loads of babies at festivals. I'm pretty sure I'd hate that but others clearly enjoy it. Walking 16km with a baby isn't my cup of tea but I'll bet there are people who wouldn't think twice about it. Humans are a pretty varied, resourceful bunch. Basically, think it through & do whatever you're comfortable with.

Soldato
Cinemas generally expressly ban noisy customers, airlines don't.

People aren't breaking any rules bringing a baby on to plane, so you can't really complain when they do. Your expectation of what sort of experience you're entitled to doesn't tally with reality, that's not the fault of people with children who have also paid a lot of money. You can charter a flight if you want to set out your own conditions.

Babies can be annoying, but nothing ear plugs can't fix. All of my worst experiences on public transport have been down to adults, who are often noisier than kids.

Just because it isn't a rule means we aren't entitled to complain? If something isn't written in black and white doesn't make it the wrong thing to do, it's called consideration to others. Bringing a crying baby onto a flight and ruining other peoples experience is purely down to your own selfish "**** everyone else so long as I'm OK", a child of this age isn't benefiting from the holiday it's purely down to the parents and their own blinkered view of what's going on around them.

Caporegime
Not every child cries. Not sure why there is this assumption?

Are you guys going on package holidays to family resorts or something. Rarely is a plane ‘full of crying babies’ in my experience BA tell me I’ve flown to the moon

Associate
Just because it isn't a rule means we aren't entitled to complain? If something isn't written in black and white doesn't make it the wrong thing to do, it's called consideration to others. Bringing a crying baby onto a flight and ruining other peoples experience is purely down to your own selfish "**** everyone else so long as I'm OK", a child of this age isn't benefiting from the holiday it's purely down to the parents and their own blinkered view of what's going on around them.

It's reasonable to expect quiet in a library, a cinema, a hotel room, or a private cabin. It's not reasonable to expect it on a flight. Air travel is only affordable because large numbers of people are together in a small space, and planes are noisy to start with. If you're telling people they shouldn't fly because you want silence, they are not the ones being inconsiderate.

On the other hand, if someone books a train seat in the quiet coach with young children they should get up and move if the kids kick off.

Soldato
That's the point, we aren't parents and as such we don't want to listen to a crying baby on a flight we've paid a lot of money for just because you decided to have a child and go on holiday. I wonder how you'd feel if you went to a cinema and someone decided they wanted to bring their screaming child into it for the duration of the film.

Sounds like you need to travel private then in that case fella. I'm assuming you're not privileged enough, so, until then, wind your neck in and deal with the other economy paying customers.

Soldato
Sounds like you need to travel private then in that case fella. I'm assuming you're not privileged enough, so, until then, wind your neck in and deal with the other economy paying customers.

I'll be sure to bring a snare drum on the next flight then since if people don't want to listen to it, they should've flown private.

Soldato
The child definitely will benefit from the vacation with the family at any age.
Not sure who these people are that enjoy flying, no matter what i hate it. Cramped and uncomfortable.
A crying baby makes zero difference, the person with nut allergies should be thrown off the plane though how dare they ruin my flight by not letting me have a bag of nuts.

Associate
I'll be sure to bring a snare drum on the next flight then since if people don't want to listen to it, they should've flown private.

I quite enjoy the buskers you get on trains across a lot of Europe, but I'm willing to accept I'm in a minority there.

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about your baby crying during the flight anyone who has kids will be sympathetic towards you and know what it's like, it's only the childless people who will tutt. Boy they are in for an eye opener when it's their turn to have kids.

Caporegime
I wouldn't worry about your baby crying during the flight anyone who has kids will be sympathetic towards you and know what it's like, it's only the childless people who will tutt. Boy they are in for an eye opener when it's their turn to have kids.
It’s like a new secret level of life unlocks :)

daz

daz

Soldato
We've taken my little one to Gran Canaria, Florida (gulf coast as opposed to Disney), Tenerife, France and Australia. He'll be 2 next month and we're doing 2 weeks travelling around Italy in July. Of course he's unlikely to remember any of it but the reason for travelling is not primarily for him; it's for us and the family etc we're visiting.

One thing I would say is that whilst travelling, all level of control needs to go out of the window - take chocolate, sweets, downloaded Netflix on an ipad/phone. You basically just need to keep them as happy as possible for the time you're travelling. The hardest bit was flying to the USA when it was approximately 9PM UK time but all of the cabin lights etc were still lit so he wouldn't go to sleep... in the end he stayed up for the whole flight and crashed when we arrived in Houston (by now approximately 2am UK time!).

Back
Top Bottom