• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD TURN 50!! LETS CELEBRATE WITH AWESOME DEALS & FREE STUFF !!

Associate
If AMD can request vendors shift RX Vega 56 and 64 at these prices then surely that indicates sufficient maturity in Vega 10 production to make them and earn a profit. So with Vega 10 profitable, why even bother with Navi if it's inferior? Plow the R&D money into "Next Gen" instead.

To be continued on the appropriate threads, of course...

Well we don't need the specific costings behind this but Navi will be far cheaper to make everything aside. It's likely AMD are subersidising either the parts or cards as they are end of line. It could be the partner taking the hit because they know they are end of line and Navi is coming soon.

The question is will a £250 Navi beat Vega 56 at this price point? As this is tempting

Associate
The big question, Will you get better performance for your money with Navi or will it be like Nvidia's GTX 1650?

I imagine there'll be 3 versions of Navi 10 and 1 or 2 versions of Navi 20. It maybe we only get 2070, 2060, 1660ti equivilents for big Navi and that we get worse value. Hard to say, I doubt you'll regret buying this if you have the PSU to run it. I don't, really, it would probably run at a push, so I'm hanging on

Soldato
I imagine there'll be 3 versions of Navi 10 and 1 or 2 versions of Navi 20. It maybe we only get 2070, 2060, 1660ti equivilents for big Navi and that we get worse value.
Even if big Navi is a thing, it won't be coming this year, so Navi coming this year is to clean up on the midrange market, which is where the actual money is made.

2 Navi 10 cards, 2 Navi 12 cards to cover everything from just underneath Radeon VII down to RX 570. Purely on the specs, I can't see the AdoredTV leaks being wrong, it's just logical (although I question his latest addition with the Navi 20 stuff).

Associate
Even if big Navi is a thing, it won't be coming this year, so Navi coming this year is to clean up on the midrange market, which is where the actual money is made.

2 Navi 10 cards, 2 Navi 12 cards to cover everything from just underneath Radeon VII down to RX 570. Purely on the specs, I can't see the AdoredTV leaks being wrong, it's just logical (although I question his latest addition with the Navi 20 stuff).

Mid range has changed though. Wasn't the latest 'leak' Navi 20 will be aiming for 2080ti and won't be that much faster than Navi 10? Then we get a photo of a 295 watt monster. A 295 Watt monster on 7nm should be hitting near Radeon 7 turf and with 'Navi 20 not being much faster' makes sense.

Obviously that's all conjecture.

The other question is if Navi 20 hits in 2020 then what about the 'more performance per watt' 'next generation' planned for 2020? Is that Archeterus and postponed or is it Navi 20?

Soldato
Mid range has changed though. Wasn't the latest 'leak' Navi 20 will be aiming for 2080ti and won't be that much faster than Navi 10? Then we get a photo of a 295 watt monster. A 295 Watt monster on 7nm should be hitting near Radeon 7 turf and with 'Navi 20 not being much faster' makes sense.

Obviously that's all conjecture.

The other question is if Navi 20 hits in 2020 then what about the 'more performance per watt' 'next generation' planned for 2020? Is that Archeterus and postponed or is it Navi 20?
Bingo. It's all conjecture and it's now all conflicting and contradictory.

For the longest time, talk of Navi was focussed around a small, gaming-focussed GPU designed specifically on 7nm. Not a shrink of something else, no unnecessary compute, just a 6th iteration of GCN aimed specifically at gaming cards. Then the AdoredTV leaks (and the Reddit leak just prior to AdoredTV's publication) aligned with that talk: a Navi 10 giving RX Vega 64 + 15% performance and 2 Navi 12s giving Vega 56 and RX 580 performance. Nothing further was added for a long time, other than my suggestion of a full Navi 10 offering RX Vega 64 + 25% performance to bridge the gap to Radeon VII.

Then there was talk about Navi 20 being a top-end chip. Then it was rumoured that Navi 20 would take on the 2080 Ti and offer ray tracing acceleration, and then the goalposts for midrange Navi got shifted up so suddenly Navi is targeting the RTX 2080, meaning there's not a great deal of performance difference between Navi 10 and Navi 20. Throw in talk about Raja Koduri was tasked to "fix GCN", but the latest leak addition from AdoredTV still shows 4 shader engines even on the Navi 20s, the traditional GCN limit.

And now there's a PCB showing up with a 256 bit memory bus which could be 8GB or 16GB VRAM depending on memory vendor with 2x 8-pin PCI power, of which contradicts the rumoured power requirements of Navi 10 and Navi 12. Unless it's an engineering PCB.

All the while the roadmaps talk about "Next Gen" built on 7nm+ and not based on GCN coming in 2020.

So all in, the logical leaks that required a pinch of salt are now illogical to the point we can't even playfully speculate any more. If GCN 6 is still capped at 4 shader engines, you're not going to see much of a leap between a full-fat Navi 10 and Navi 20. Unless AMD have been secretly planning hardware acceleration for Radeon Rays on gaming cards all this time, it is too late to add such hardware to a Navi design. It is possible to move GCN past 4 shader engines, but would take a lot of engineering to do so (allegedly), so why bother if "Next Gen" next year is moving past GCN? But unless Koduri really did breathe some magic into GCN to make it viable for another 7th generation, why would AMD still lock themselves down with an arch that's struggled to be competitive for a while?

Everything has turned to fud (if it wasn't all fud to begin with). The only thing I can think of is that Sony invested a shed load of money to co-fund Navi development. "Navi 20" is actually a separate design that does have ray tracing and will be going into the PS5 primarily in 2020, and AMD might be able to double-up their profits by slapping it onto a PC gaming card as well and release it alongside the brand new "Next Gen" which will again target the midrange market for far greater ROI.

There is no way in hell that the Navi cards releasing this year are going to get close to Radeon VII, let alone the RTX 2080 Ti.

Dear God this was a long rant in totally the wrong forum place!

Apologies.

Associate
Bingo. It's all conjecture and it's now all conflicting and contradictory.

There is no way in hell that the Navi cards releasing this year are going to get close to Radeon VII, let alone the RTX 2080 Ti.

Dear God this was a long rant in totally the wrong forum place!

Apologies.

Completely agree, No chance will it be near the R-VII or the 2080ti. I just hope it bridges the gap between the Vega64 and VII, right in the middle for a reasonable price will make me very happy.

Associate
As usual, AMD have been fairly quiet on the subject of NAVI but the rumour mills has set expectations yet again. AMD will be blamed for those expectations being unfulfilled and ripped for hyping something they barely talked about. Rumours and conjecture should be treating with scepticism and pessimism, not jumped on as fact. Anyone who believes an unofficial source only has themselves to blame when the truth finally comes out and they feel disappointed. Don't blame AMD if you get less than you were expecting.

Soldato
Completely agree, No chance will it be near the R-VII or the 2080ti. I just hope it bridges the gap between the Vega64 and VII, right in the middle for a reasonable price will make me very happy.

Problem is, if we don't look at watercooled VII results, the gap between a V64 & a VII isn't big enough to allow anyone else. Core freq, there's like a 100-150mhz gap between the VII and the V64 LC (stock), which is really just like a normally tweaked aib air version. New arch & 7nm is going to help bridge to stock variation that you'd see between Vegas, but it can't do much else lest they encroach on VII's sales.

I really think that the best Navi will do this year will be something like a V64 at 1650ish mhz & 1050mhz HBM, which might allow for a slight boost over a V64 once you OC the Navi as well, but not more than 10%.

Associate
Problem is, if we don't look at watercooled VII results, the gap between a V64 & a VII isn't big enough to allow anyone else. Core freq, there's like a 100-150mhz gap between the VII and the V64 LC (stock), which is really just like a normally tweaked aib air version. New arch & 7nm is going to help bridge to stock variation that you'd see between Vegas, but it can't do much else lest they encroach on VII's sales.

I really think that the best Navi will do this year will be something like a V64 at 1650ish mhz & 1050mhz HBM, which might allow for a slight boost over a V64 once you OC the Navi as well, but not more than 10%.

ive just been reading a tomshardware article which states the big Navi will sit between the 1080 & 2070 which sounds about right.

Back
Top Bottom